Best Average Prime Year: T.O Versus Antonio Brown

mdonnelly21

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR was more skilled/talented/ability

Oh not even a question. You're just asking who the better physical specimen at football. That would be TO.

If I was picking in a fantasy draft and had to account for everything. It would be Brown hands down. But from a pure physical stand point with similar production and no character issues being discussed. I'm taking TO. You don't really have to be at all creative to get him the ball. Really just toss it on a slant or a post and your good.

Physical talent?   TO, hands down.  

Ability to separate and get open?  AB, hands down.   That explains the sentiment fantasy owners would have - AB would likely be more productive because of this, and why if you ask most FFB owners, they'd take AB in his prime.

SuOJXb7.png

5bUr9h1.png

Over a 16 game season in their prime years. AB is targeted 15 more times, makes 21 more catches, has 180 more yards, but 4 fewer touchdowns. Antonio Brown is the more reliable sticks-mover, but TO is the better scoring threat. 

But, TO wasn't the number one option in SF still until 2000 (Jerry Rice had more targets). 

vCE8WJK.png

Now the gap is much closer in a number of categories he trailed in for the 16 game season average. All in all though what I said still holds true, it's more what flavor of receiver you prefer IMO. TO was more physically gifted.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

SuOJXb7.png

5bUr9h1.png

Over a 16 game season in their prime years. AB is targeted 15 more times, makes 21 more catches, has 180 more yards, but 4 fewer touchdowns. Antonio Brown is the more reliable sticks-mover, but TO is the better scoring threat. 

But, TO wasn't the number one option in SF still until 2000 (Jerry Rice had more targets). 

vCE8WJK.png

Now the gap is much closer in a number of categories he trailed in for the 16 game season average. All in all though what I said still holds true, it's more what flavor of receiver you prefer IMO. TO was more physically gifted.

Based on your 7 year stretch for T.O he seemed like a MUCH greater TD threat all while having more yards. 

For me the GOAT list goes for prime...

Jerry Rice 

Randy Moss 

Megatron 

T.O 

Antonio Brown 

Marvin Harrison 

Sterling Sharpe (3 year prime) 

Larry Fitzgerald 

Andre Johnson 

Torry Holt 

H/M Julio Jones, Cris Carter, Michael Irvin

As much as I think Antonio Brown will be remembered as the better receiver when all is said and done, the way the question is phrased I have to go with T.O.  Dude is basically the mold for the prototypical "true number one receiver".   

Title and poll are two different questions...

Anyway, this isn’t really a slam dunk for TO.

OP asks “talent/skill/ability”. TO is clearly the answer talent wise, but Brown is just as clearly the answer skill wise. “Ability” is a little bit ambiguous, as you can say the more talented player has more ability while another could say the more productive player is the most able. 

Close call either way IYAM. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Title and poll are two different questions...

Anyway, this isn’t really a slam dunk for TO.

OP asks “talent/skill/ability”. TO is clearly the answer talent wise, but Brown is just as clearly the answer skill wise. “Ability” is a little bit ambiguous, as you can say the more talented player has more ability while another could say the more productive player is the most able. 

Close call either way IYAM. 

It's interesting the way you broke it down. 

I tried to add a combination of them in, almost as like an entire formula to base "Who's better" which is always rather subjective matter considering you can take either talent, or ability or skill and I like a combination of all them. 

Also when you say who was better that's kind of like an open ended up question because people take into account 1 year peak, 3 year peak, 5 year prime + 

That's why I say average prime year, because it kind of nutshells the type player they actually were in their career at their best. 

Didn't matter what team or QB he was playing with, Owens dominated the league from around 2000-2007.  His YAC ability was Jerry Rice on steroids, and while he wasn't quite Randy Moss as a deep threat (no one is) he was still a terror on the 9.

This is a good argument for FF purposes, but in terms of real football it's Owens.  He was unstoppable.

I always thought Owens was overrated and aside from his season(s) with the Eagles never considered him dominant. However, I'd be a hypocrite to slight Julio Jones for not finding the end zone then ignoring Owens' amazing ability to do so.

59 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I always thought Owens was overrated and aside from his season(s) with the Eagles never considered him dominant. However, I'd be a hypocrite to slight Julio Jones for not finding the end zone then ignoring Owens' amazing ability to do so.

TO has like 3 better seasons with the 49ers and 1 season with the Cowboys where he was more dominant than his time with the Eagles.

You really can't compare wide receiver numbers now to where they were for most of Owens's career. At least as far as yards. Touchdowns seem about the same.

Everything is shotgun spread, with numerous pick and decoy designs. Passing and receiving numbers are heavily inflated. At least for a lot of teams, which includes the Steelers. 

Archived