Official Training Camp 2018 Thread

14 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

And on Bell, the thing that bothers me about him isn't that he holds out or wants to get paid. But that he's dumb. And that we have yet another example of that. Why keep the day you report a mystery and/or deny media reports on the matter?

1. It's already too late for the Steelers to sign you this year. There's no leverage to be had.

2. You've already said that you will report and play this year.

What do you accomplish besides creating needless drama? It's minor, but the things with him add up over time and paint the picture of a guy who off the field just isn't intelligent.

He might be playing a game with the media but we will see once he shows up how ready he is. Last year he was heavy and slow, and if he adds to that this season, then it could get interesting. Suppose bell doesn't show up for a few weeks and connor does really average 120+ ypg and 6ypc+, then it will prove :

1. our OL is good without Bell and we don't need bell

2. Connor is a starter (which I already know)

3. bell is all for himself, potentially compromised the team during a season with a difficult schedule.

4. they should try to trade him if there is value, just move on .  use the cap space for Mack but I know this won't happen and I am not really into the mega deals anyways. 

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'll be honest I'm not completely convinced that Le'Veon Bell can stay healthy if he does are port and is active for week one I don't honestly think he's going to make it through the season healthy. And for the record I am not hoping that he gets injured I just have a feeling in that regard

I wouldn't doubt it  either. He held out and got hurt last year and his style of play doesn't help the matter.  I would also say that with him getting overworked it will  increase the chances and I expect that he will get 400+ carries if healthy enough to, plus all the receptions. He will have many chances to have contact and who knows with the new rules if people  will get hurt more. The league wanted more offence and now players on D will tackle / hit at the knee's.  Good idea nfl:$

If bell is slow and not up to the standard as tomlin would say, will he share what % of the snaps ?

Man, I’m still holding out hope that we trade Landry Jones instead of cutting/trading Dobbs. It’s not really that I like Dobbs, but I do hate Landry. 

I don’t buy the Landry being the backup thing as the reason he stays. The drop from Ben to Landry is substantial, but the drop from Landry to Mason or Dobbs is....marginal at best? If Ben is out long term, we are screwed. If Ben is out short term, it’s still the run game we turn too. Our backup doesn’t really have to be good in that stretch, just competent. I’d prefer to get anything asset wise out of a guy (i hate) that won’t be on the roster next year and save us cash now rather than someone who we spent a 4th on and still has 2 contracted years. 

I know Dirty Red is a ST demon but part of me hopes we try and get rid of him. He's so worthless on defense, I'm not sure his ST makes up for it. Plus, we've seen this preseason that Thomas and Fort are no slouches on ST(and honestly the last couple of years Fort has shown out) either. I'd personally much rather lose Matakevich than Thomas, Adams, or Ola. 

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Man, I’m still holding out hope that we trade Landry Jones instead of cutting/trading Dobbs. It’s not really that I like Dobbs, but I do hate Landry. 

I don’t buy the Landry being the backup thing as the reason he stays. The drop from Ben to Landry is substantial, but the drop from Landry to Mason or Dobbs is....marginal at best? If Ben is out long term, we are screwed. If Ben is out short term, it’s still the run game we turn too. Our backup doesn’t really have to be good in that stretch, just competent. I’d prefer to get anything asset wise out of a guy (i hate) that won’t be on the roster next year and save us cash now rather than someone who we spent a 4th on and still has 2 contracted years. 

I thought Dobbs has more upside in that he can scramble and appears to have a bit more arm strength. jones however, is revered by teammates, and that goes a long way.   I was expect Dobbs to stay here but it's looking like he is on the trade block, so this will be his last game for us. Wouldn't Rudolph be the #2 QB, or  is he going to be #3 for a while? No reason to  hate Jones, his first name isn't jarvis (just kidding) .  

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

man... wish we can keep Dobbs.. he has improved a ton since last yr...if he takes another step next yr.. he would be a solid number 2 over jones

The Rams would very much appreciate if you could give us Josh Dobbs or Landry Jones. We are very desperate.

31 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Man I think if I’m Colbert I have to keep Dobbs and Rudolph.  I think they have more upside than Jones with one year left on his contract.  

I agree, but I still see us putting Dobbs on the practice squad

2 hours ago, August4th said:

man... wish we can keep Dobbs.. he has improved a ton since last yr...if he takes another step next yr.. he would be a solid number 2 over jones

I don't understand why they would keep jones other than leadership or the overvalue of veteran status. Dobbs has been really good and has upside, jones doesn't. 

Archived