2018 Training Camp Updates

RaidersAreOne

Chiefs

Mahomes and this offense are going to be lethal. From what I'm reading, it appears that the offense is going to be a WCO/Air raid/Spread offense hybrid. Mahomes appears to have a full grasp of the offense and has been great so far in camp. He's getting everyone involved and going deep a lot and deadly accurate. He was 19/21 yesterday, which it's practice, but that's still impressive.

Watkins appears to be fitting in very well and has logged several deep passes and displayed his usual great hands. Hill looks good. Conley looks to be completely back from his Achilles injury. Kelce is going to be a beast inside and mainly working short/intermediate routes.

Kareem Hunt has yet to practice due to lingering hamstring issue from OTA's but he will be fine. Ware is reportedly is 100% and restructured his contract. 

Defensively, this unit will be greatly improved. It wont be top 10 but it will finish around the top 15 IMO, which is about where Sutton's defense has averaged for all but last year. 

Chris Jones lost his baby fat and appears to be ready for a career year at DE. He was probably the 3rd best player on the defense after Houston and Berry and will be even better this year. His plan is to lead the league in sacks, which I don't think he will come close, but he's going to be very good this year.

Ragland has some knee swelling and hasn't practiced with the team yet. 

Hitchens looks good and a big upgrade to 35 year old Derrick Johnson, who looked his age and slowed by 2 previous Achilles injuries last year. 

CB's will be better, collectively, than last year who was Marcus Peters and no one else. Fuller has flashed. Amerson has flashed. Nelson, who i'm not sold on at all, will be counted on a lot.The Chiefs are very high on Trevon Smith at CB so far as well. 

Safety is an area of concern. Berry looks good but if he goes down things start to look scary. I'm not sure why Sorenson is still on the team with that cap number but he is currently the other starting safety. Armani Watts has started practicing so it's unknown where he is at but I'm hopeful he can start for Sorenson eventually. 

OLB--KPass reportedly is having a strong camp. He was drafted as a project last year and played only one game, week 17, outside of a few snaps here and there. I think he will get the majority of snaps opposite of Houston. Ford is finally healthy--we will see--but I see him being moved to more of a situational pass rusher than a full time starter. I haven't read too much about Speaks yet.

Chicago camp:

-Offense is dynamic.... tons of WRs flashing, Anthony Miller in particular is playing in camp like he's going to be our WR1 over Allen Robinson

-Multiple late round/UDFA flashing a bunch... worth watching for preseason games Ryan Nall-RB, Kevin Tolliver-CB both UDFAs that look like they could make the 53.... Bilal Nichols a 5th round DL who when picked wasn't expected to have a role this year is already playing with the 2nd team defensive line and looking good, and a mid-late rounder in Fitts @ OLB has been our best pass rusher on the outside.

-Secondary in general has been really strong, with tons of INTS

-Trubisky has thrown tons of those INTS... Coaches are claiming it to be a training camp thing where they're encouraging him to be more aggressive than usual to get a better feel for the downfield passing rather than just checking it down, but it's worth monitoring going forward... because it's a been a couple per day.

-Tarik Cohen-RB/WR is getting used literally everywhere... He may end up being a good Fantasy football player.

-Howard-RB is being treated like he can catch in camp

-Adam Shaheen-TE a non division 1 school kid from last year, seems to finally be coming into his own as a "baby gronk"... Arguably even outplaying Trey Burton, the higher priced FA ahead of him.

-OLB situation is frightening right now... Floyd hasn't been flashing in camp reportedly and everyone else is injured. The one who is/was flashing right now is a rookie late rounder named Fitts, who himself has a long injury history and has been out of the past few with a hamstring problem. Aaron Lynch, the guy we brought in to be our guy opposite Floyd from FA, has been injured for like everything but one OTA.... I don't see how the staff can have any faith in him going to the reg season.

-ILB has been solid, Trevethan has a hamstring issue, but plays well when there, and Kwiatoski looks like one of the most improved players from last year.

edit: and Roquan Smith-ILB is the only Rookie holdout, and hasn't reported yet.

Hard to take too much away during a training camp, but the arrow is expected to be trending up for us this year, and so long as Mitch's INTs are actually a product of forced aggression on the staff that will get toned back down for the reg season the team is going to surprise some people... With a decent-above average offense, and an even better looking defense than last season, barring their OLB play (but that wasn't exactly great last year either). I wouldn't bet on us winning the division with Minnesota in the division and Rodgers leading the pack just yet, but I think we can easily be that team right on the cusp of a wildcard spot... which is a hell of a jump from last season's trainwreck.

1 hour ago, jaa1025 said:

Mahomes and this offense are going to be lethal. From what I'm reading, it appears that the offense is going to be a WCO/Air raid/Spread offense hybrid. Mahomes appears to have a full grasp of the offense and has been great so far in camp. He's getting everyone involved and going deep a lot and deadly accurate. He was 19/21 yesterday, which it's practice, but that's still impressive.

19/21 with 2 picks? 

Boom/bust is sort of what I expect out of Mahomes this upcoming season.

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

19/21 with 2 picks? 

He had 2 picks the day before the 19/21. He's had 3-4 total. 1-2 deflections. 1 a bad read. 

I don't expect a bust at all. He will either be boom or average. Reid and his offense can make just about anyone look passable IMO. 

50 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

19/21 with 2 picks? 

Jaa may be gushing, but this not your usual new QB situation. The staff has a year of working with him, measuring his potentials and designing a new offense around him. Expect things to work sooner rather than later.

J

15 minutes ago, jaa1025 said:

He had 2 picks the day before the 19/21. He's had 3-4 total. 1-2 deflections. 1 a bad read. 

I don't expect a bust at all. He will either be boom or average. Reid and his offense can make just about anyone look passable IMO. 

Let me clarify; I expect him to be a boom/bust type of player in his first season. Not that his season will be either a boom or a bust, but instead from game to game or even throw to throw, he will wow you and then make an off throw. 

Such is the case with gunslingers, which I had Mahomes pegged at in college. 

Youre right that Reid typically doesn’t get bad QB play despite who he has, so I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Jaa may be gushing, but this not your usual new QB situation. The staff has a year of working with him, measuring his potentials and designing a new offense around him. Expect things to work sooner rather than later.

J

See above, the extra year in the offense is huge. I love Mahomes, just think he might be a bit rocky.

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Let me clarify; I expect him to be a boom/bust type of player in his first season. Not that his season will be either a boom or a bust, but instead from game to game or even throw to throw, he will wow you and then make an off throw. 

Youre right that Reid typically doesn’t get bad QB play despite who he has, so I could be wrong.

See above, the extra year in the offense is huge. I love Mahomes, just think he might be a bit rocky.

I agree with you that there will be bumps and hiccups along the way. What we are saying is that this offense should be in the top half of the league right away. Next year is when they shoot for top 5. 

J

24 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Gotcha. 

Even if he has a great season by anyone's standards, he will have some bad games. I fully expect to be wowed, probably every game, with some of his throws. I also expect to have those moments where I'm like, WTF did you just throw that? Outside of any potential injury, I think he will have a good season. The year in that offense learning will help him immensely. I wouldn't feel the same way probably if he didn't have that year to learn and develop. 

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Chicago camp:

-Offense is dynamic.... tons of WRs flashing, Anthony Miller in particular is playing in camp like he's going to be our WR1 over Allen Robinson

-Multiple late round/UDFA flashing a bunch... worth watching for preseason games Ryan Nall-RB, Kevin Tolliver-CB both UDFAs that look like they could make the 53.... Bilal Nichols a 5th round DL who when picked wasn't expected to have a role this year is already playing with the 2nd team defensive line and looking good, and a mid-late rounder in Fitts @ OLB has been our best pass rusher on the outside.

-Secondary in general has been really strong, with tons of INTS

-Trubisky has thrown tons of those INTS... Coaches are claiming it to be a training camp thing where they're encouraging him to be more aggressive than usual to get a better feel for the downfield passing rather than just checking it down, but it's worth monitoring going forward... because it's a been a couple per day.

-Tarik Cohen-RB/WR is getting used literally everywhere... He may end up being a good Fantasy football player.

-Howard-RB is being treated like he can catch in camp

-Adam Shaheen-TE a non division 1 school kid from last year, seems to finally be coming into his own as a "baby gronk"... Arguably even outplaying Trey Burton, the higher priced FA ahead of him.

-OLB situation is frightening right now... Floyd hasn't been flashing in camp reportedly and everyone else is injured. The one who is/was flashing right now is a rookie late rounder named Fitts, who himself has a long injury history and has been out of the past few with a hamstring problem. Aaron Lynch, the guy we brought in to be our guy opposite Floyd from FA, has been injured for like everything but one OTA.... I don't see how the staff can have any faith in him going to the reg season.

-ILB has been solid, Trevethan has a hamstring issue, but plays well when there, and Kwiatoski looks like one of the most improved players from last year.

edit: and Roquan Smith-ILB is the only Rookie holdout, and hasn't reported yet.

Hard to take too much away during a training camp, but the arrow is expected to be trending up for us this year, and so long as Mitch's INTs are actually a product of forced aggression on the staff that will get toned back down for the reg season the team is going to surprise some people... With a decent-above average offense, and an even better looking defense than last season, barring their OLB play (but that wasn't exactly great last year either). I wouldn't bet on us winning the division with Minnesota in the division and Rodgers leading the pack just yet, but I think we can easily be that team right on the cusp of a wildcard spot... which is a hell of a jump from last season's trainwreck.

I can't wait to see the Chicago-KC preseason game. I'm obviously interested in the Trubisky-Mahomes matchup and interested to see if Cohen can become like Tyreek Hill. I hope Nagy works out for you guys. The Reid coaching tree is pretty strong.

Quenton Nelson has been turning heads so far in camp.

In one drill he was blocking downfield when he threw T.J. Green to the ground. Green got up and pushed Nelson who didn’t move at all. (Green has been known to get into fights in practices and camp) 

Rakeem Nunez-Roches was doing his darndest to get under the skin of Nelson. In one drill he was grabbing Nelson’s pads, Jersey and getting his hands into Nelson’s face , and Nelson just brushed it off and got ready for the next drill. 

Reporters were asking Reich and Luck about how quiet Nelson is, they seemingly don’t get more then one or two words answers when asking him questions. Both agreed he is not very talkative. Luck said he told Nelson that Notre Dame sucks to see if that would get him to open up more. Reich said that on the morning of the first day of padded practices that Nelson approached Reich in the hall to ask a question, Reich didn’t elaborate. He did say that Nelson seemed really pumped up about being in pads and asked about a particular run play be called that he like blocking on. 

Archived