2018 Training Camp Updates

RaidersAreOne

Usually this time of the year the defense dominates the offense, but this is the first time in a long time that I recall the offense and defense both making plays equally. Especially today. So I found that a bit odd, but maybe that's a good thing. The offense definitely has chemistry and cohesion since most players know the system by this point. We're used to new offensive systems every year.

Well so far Tannehill looks good. He's still as efficient as ever. He doesn't turn the ball over. That doesn't mean he will be great, but he knows the offense. Osweiler has been bad except for on the deep ball. He does that well. But he turns the ball over a lot. Fales has been OK. He improved. He'll most likely be the back-up QB. 

In terms of the RBs, the coaches absolutely love Gore. He's still playing like he's young. Drake and Gore will be a good combo. Ballage has been having a good camp as well. He's way ahead of the other rookie RBs. It's going to be hard for him to find playing time though. I think the 1-2-3 RB spots are locked in. I feel good about this position. Good depth.

In terms of WRs, I haven't really seen Parker or Stills mentioned. Parker really needs to shine this year or it's time to move on. He's been a bust so far. Parker dropped a bomb from Tannehill. Stills is always good with Tannehill so he doesn't need to really prove anything. Amendola has been fantastic with Tannehill. They have great chemistry. Grant is just as shifty as ever. He'll make plays but he's dropped the ball a bit too much. Albert Wilson has been good. They've actually tried him at a RB a few times. But the person really shining and getting a lot respect is Isaiah Ford. He was a 7th round rookie who got hurt last year. He's showing a lot of good things right now. That means Carroo is the odd man out. 

In terms of TEs, Gesicki has been dynamic in the red zone, but he's been God awful at blocking. He's having a hard time adjusting to the heat and humidity. It's early in his career though. I think today was the first time he got reps with the first team. It wouldn't surprise me if doesn't start his rookie year, but I think he will contribute. I've noticed Duarte's name keeps popping up. 

The offensive line has a lot of work to do, but the D-line does have a lot of good players so it's hard to say until Preseason if it's an issue. I need to see them against other teams. DT is my biggest concern this season. This is the year Tunsil needs to prove he's an elite LT prospect.

LBs have been OK. I haven't seen a ton about the LBs honestly. I've heard a lot of praise about Chase Allen. I don't know who is going to start at what position. I just hope Kiko Alonso is kept in the middle. I really want to see how McMillan does in a Preseason game. LB is the biggest question mark to me besides DT. It could be good or it could be really bad like in the past.

The CBs have been consistent. Howard is a lock as the #1 corner. The #2 spot is between Tankersley, Lippett, and McTyer. Lippett is coming back from injury so he's been getting beat at times, but he's always been like that. He'll make a dynamic interception or he'll get beat. McTyer is actually having a surprise good camp. Another no name CB who is having a good camp is Maurice Smith. Gase has praised him before. He's been good on ST. He laid out McDonald. 

Fitzpatrick has been good in his first TC. Jones is obviously one of the best safeties. He got the first pick on Tannehill today. They are going to be one of the best safety duos in the league. Although McDonald may actually start over Fitz and he's been good. It's a good problem to have. Miami's secondary will be a strength this year.

The kicking game scares me. It could be awful. I don't know. I'm going to hold my breath every time Sanders kicks. I wish we kept Parkey.

Nobody is holding out. Everyone seems pretty happy. The only drama has been from Landry and the anthem stuff from the media.

It's too early to say anything. This is just what I've been gathering. I'd give the offense a 1 up over the defense so far which is odd this time of the year. 

Saints: guys on the periphery are always easy to judge in TC.

- Michael Thomas has been the star of training camp. He has been impossible to cover, and even Lattimore with air tight coverage has had a heck of a time containing him. He’s in for a monster season. 

- Marcus Williams (yes, the Minnesota Miracle Marcus Williams) has been really good. He could be a pro bowler this season. 

- TreQuan Smith looks like Thomas did his rookie training camp, making big play after big play. He is fantastic at attacking the ball in the air. He could be the Saints #2 this year if he can learn the playbook and block (something he was very good at in college).

- Cameron Meredith hasn’t been flashy like TreQuan, but he has been solid in the slot and looks healthy. 

- Ken Crawley and Patrick Robinson have struggled against Michael Thomas and TreQuan Smith, but it may be because those two WRs are really good. 

- Boston Scott looks like the most talented RB not named Kamara or Ingram. He has been solid as both a runner and receiver, but will need to show that he knows the playbook and show he can pass protect to get playing time with Ingram out. Vereen has been more impressive than West. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Saints: guys on the periphery are always easy to judge in TC.

- Michael Thomas has been the star of training camp. He has been impossible to cover, and even Lattimore with air tight coverage has had a heck of a time containing him. He’s in for a monster season. 

- Marcus Williams (yes, the Minnesota Miracle Marcus Williams) has been really good. He could be a pro bowler this season. 

- TreQuan Smith looks like Thomas did his rookie training camp, making big play after big play. He is fantastic at attacking the ball in the air. He could be the Saints #2 this year if he can learn the playbook and block (something he was very good at in college).

- Cameron Meredith hasn’t been flashy like TreQuan, but he has been solid in the slot and looks healthy. 

- Ken Crawley and Patrick Robinson have struggled against Michael Thomas and TreQuan Smith, but it may be because those two WRs are really good. 

- Boston Scott looks like the most talented RB not named Kamara or Ingram. He has been solid as both a runner and receiver, but will need to show that he knows the playbook and show he can pass protect to get playing time with Ingram out. Vereen has been more impressive than West. 

That doesn't surprise me.  I absolutely loved him before the draft in 2017.  I expect huge seasons from Marcus Williams (Saints), John Johnson (Rams), Eddie Jackson (Bears), and Marcus Maye (Jets).  All second year safeties that are headed for multiple Pro-Bowls down the road. 

Carson Wentz is basically looking like he could play right now if we needed him to suit up tomorrow. Still has to get back into the swing of things a bit on his accuracy but his mobility looks like he wasn't even injured at this point.

Nelson Agholor looks even better and faster. 

Archived