2018 Training Camp Updates

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

-So the early word at Titans TC is our secondary appears to be legit. Malcolm Butler has been the MVP of camp so far, having multiple picks already.

-Derrick Henry looks like he's ready to breakout this season. Everyone has spoke about how well he looks physically(no surprise here), how he looks like he'll have a expanded role as a pass catcher and how he fits our new zone run blocking offense like a glove. Trying to contain my excitement level for him

-Early on, sounds like our 2nd year guys (Corey Davis, Adoree Jackson, Taywan Taylor, Jonnu Smith, Jayon Brown) have all taken that next step. It's crazy how much positive things I've heard from each of them since OTAs. Will see if it carries to the actual games but if they've truly taken that next step, it'd obviously be huge for the team.

-Mariota has been mostly good but he has had some struggles. He's been on the money on deep, downfield throws and I'm seeing that he appears as fast as ever. Also appears where run more playaction, bootlegs and RPO to fit his strengths. However I'm seeing he has missed some "gimme" throws throughout TC. Nothing too concerning but something to keep an eye on.

what about Wadley Akrum ?

15 minutes ago, Flounch said:

what about Wadley Akrum ?

He's flashed throughout TC, but right now it sounds like David Fluellen is entrenched to the #3 RB spot. He's also competing for a returner spot.

Preseason games will be big for him. He may be able to earn a spot as the #4 RB/SPTer on the roster with a nice preseason/camp.

Just now, Danger said:

Adam Teicher is probably the worst sports writer for an NFL team ever. He used to write for the Kansas City Star, then got hired by ESPN to be the "Chiefs" reporter. He has always been negative about this team and players. He makes my skin crawl reading or listening to him. 

Regardless, I'm not worried about any INT's in practice. If a QB isn't throwing INT's during practice then he isn't testing his limits which is paramount for a young QB to grow. 

I was watching a television show today and while talking about Baker Mayfield, the discussion shifted to Myles Garrett.  Someone said that he took a 'vet day' on the second day of camp.  The guy saying it was saying that the book on Garrett on the inside is that some people question whether or not he LOVES the game of football.  Is any of this true?

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

I was watching a television show today and while talking about Baker Mayfield, the discussion shifted to Myles Garrett.  Someone said that he took a 'vet day' on the second day of camp.  The guy saying it was saying that the book on Garrett on the inside is that some people question whether or not he LOVES the game of football.  Is any of this true?

Nope.

And last I heard the "vet days" were determined by the coaching staff.

@showtime

To add to what Freaky said we have been incorporating Vet days into our training schedule to keep guys on the field. A of our players have been taking them. Garrett got injured early last yer and had to play hurt a bit, the longer he is healthy the better it is for us. 

Myles Garrett isn't ashamed of admitting that he has passions outside of football. He is in great shape, and he is motivated to be great. 

He is a laid back guy, he is never  going to be a vocal leader that you like. If he is healthy for 16 games he will have 12 plus sacks if the rest of our team is competent. 

Being able to "run" in July is one thing, being able to "run" in December- February is another,  especially as it relates to older players

The Packers have been one of the better teams in the NFL in identifying WRs, that's why Nelson was a Packer to begin with. Wish him all the best, he's a class act all the way.  He gets to play GB in the 3rd preseason game in OAK, I expect Gruden will give him a chance to go deep a time or two. Nelson is # 6 WR in receiving TDs among active WRs and # 44 all- time in the NFL with 69 scores.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Donald Penn has restructured his deal and has been activated off the PUP. This is big for the Raiders. Even better is the fact that he is practicing at RT after being a LT his entire career. 

Very cool that Penn is right tackle now and Miller can transition more smoothly into his drafted position.

Archived