Khalil Mack traded to the Bears (Page 19)

RaidersAreOne

41 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Yep. That D + Jordan Howard = around 8 wins alone. Even if Trubisky is only Bortles/Tyrod level they could make the playoffs. 

They went 5-11 with John Fox calling plays for Mike Glennon and rookie Trubisky who were throwing to Kendall Wright.

Now it's Matt Nagy calling plays for 2nd year Trubisky throwing to Allen Robinson and vastly improved receiving corps. Plus their top 10 D returns in its entirety and have Mack and Roquan as additions.

This one reason i hated the trade too. If you've got a top end D and a running game you're likely good for at least bein around .500. Their D had one flaw and that was a passrusher and we gave them arguably the best edge rusher in football.

If you really believe they are making the playoffs, which of the Packers/Vikings are missing it?

Trading Mack was a shock, we know. But people pegging the Bears as a playoff team is just overreacting. It would take a Rodgers injury to make that possible. They were at 6-7 wins thru Vegas before the trade. Mack doesnt jump them 3 wins.

Trubisky and Nagy are inexperienced in their roles and bring a lot of uncertainty. Everything needs to fall right for them to make playoffs coupled with some injury misfortunes for others. 

10 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Khalil said getting a new deal was his primary focus this offseason...Mack said Chicago was attractive because..."to be wanted, that's all it takes."

?

Meh 20 mil vs 23.5 mil mate 

maybe the break down makes it better but if 3.5 mil is the difference between staying or going this was just a business decision on both sides no love on both sides . As fans we have to remember money talks in the nfl why stay for less I can’t hate him for leaving. At least Calhoun cowser have been showing improvement I guess 

7 minutes ago, Dessie said:

“We had heard this could become an opportunity before training camp”

#Bears

GM Ryan Pace

Reggie said yesterday that the trade only came about in the final hour? So Gruden was trying trade Mack while Reggie was focused on re-signing him? If we wanted to trade him all this time why not before the draft and get the picks this year and next. Shambles

16 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh 20 mil vs 23.5 mil mate 

maybe the break down makes it better but if 3.5 mil is the difference between staying or going this was just a business decision on both sides no love on both sides . As fans we have to remember money talks in the nfl why stay for less I can’t hate him for leaving. At least Calhoun cowser have been showing improvement I guess 

We have no idea what the structure was of our offer plus from all reports there was a lot of animosity from both sides.  I can easily see us offering him guarentees far below market value.

6 hours ago, Dessie said:

What’s our philosophy now though? We only want to pick up good players because we won’t pay for the elite ones when we draft them?

Very good point Dessie.

Just trying to digest all this and I just can't rationalise the move, If it's about money I would certainly rather have one elite defensive player and a 5th string CB (or similarly priced player) for the same money as two average/good starters that would take the equivalent money. It's much easier to draft average/good players than elite pass rushers too so we'd have much more chance at finding and replacing those average starters in the draft when their contracts run out.

We have traded a proven star player for the potential to draft a couple good players - incredibly unlikely to be able to draft another Mack and history has shown repeatedly that we probably will draft one decent/good player and one bust/underperformer.

Not a good sign to any of the young players we drafted this year that if they prove themselves we may not want to reward them...........very dangerous precedent to set.

Been a very long time since posting here. Such a sad turn of events with all this. I was hoping Mack was gonna be a Raider for life and honestly he should have been. I would have rather seen Bruce Irvin go instead of Mack, but i do understand the business side of things also. Keeping Mack at that price would have been hard on our cap going into the future. I just hope our front office can do some good with the picks we got in the deal. One man does not make a team. I hope our recent draft class really shows out this season to take the sting off of all this. As far as the deal goes i really didnt like sending back a 2nd round pick, that was probably the biggest part of the whole trade package i didnt like at all. I liked Gruden the first time he was here but he's really gonna have to show he knows what he's doing to make this kind of move not hurt.

Archived