Camp Cuts (53 Announced)

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

RM has definitely passed on players for HWS in the past. This is really starting to irk me. Honestly, I prefer most of my mock drafts and how the guys panned out compared to how RM has drafted the past few years. This year looks good on paper to me, but even a few years back I'm a bit disgruntled with how it turned out. Jihad Ward may have been almost/just as bad as Obi. At least we got Switzer from him. Ugh. RM kills it with late round picks, but I think he gets too cute sometimes. Brandon Parker was another questionable pick for me IMO. We seriously traded to the top of the 3rd to take him. I think he'll bust if we're being honest.

This years draft was just weird... Miller will need to be great to swallow passing on James. Remember the argument was because they had Obi lol.

Parker, I tend to agree. Didn't think much of him. What I did like with this class.... drafting Key, Hurst and to a lesser extent Victor. Guys with talent that fell for one reason or another. You have to have some of these types on your team. 

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This years draft was just weird... Miller will need to be great to swallow passing on James. Remember the argument was because they had Obi lol.

Parker, I tend to agree. Didn't think much of him. What I did like with this class.... drafting Key, Hurst and to a lesser extent Victor. Guys with talent that fell for one reason or another. You have to have some of these types on your team. 

I’m not a big fan of the Parker pick but  my nephew who played D1 LT loves his tape.

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Obi was an EASY one to predict. Dude was soft at UCONN disappeared in games for long stretches of time. He was a mid to late round pick, who blew up at the combine because of his size and athletic testing.

I saw bust written all over this dude from day 1. Didn't think it would happen this early, but had no doubt. I could tell early on he had no presence or it factor to him. Just another H/W/S guy who can't play.

You’ve been quite vocal about Obi from day 1 and unfortunately have proven to be correct, kudos for not buying into the hype.

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

You’ve been quite vocal about Obi from day 1 and unfortunately have proven to be correct, kudos for not buying into the hype.

I wanted to be wrong, trust me. Another failed second round pick. It's brutal. More so considering how sure I was on Kamara.

For all the HWS he oozed, Obi just never looked like an alpha on the field who was making plays. He was just a guy at UCONN. Nothing special about him.

Just my 2 cents on Reggie's draft style.

The great thing about Reggie, he listens to what his coaches want and the fits for their scheme.

The bad thing about Reggie, he listens to what his coaches want and the fits for their scheme.

The bad news in the past was that we have had 3 coaching changes and even more coordinator changes.  Draft some players to fit a certain defense or ZBS and then poof, coaches and scheme are gone, but we are left with the players.

The good news going forward is that we should have the same coaches for much longer, even if it's not 10 years.

Now Reggie is the GM and will ultimately get the credit or the boot, but he is clearly a team effort kind of guy.

2 minutes ago, true2form said:

Just my 2 cents on Reggie's draft style.

The great thing about Reggie, he listens to what his coaches want and the fits for their scheme.

The bad thing about Reggie, he listens to what his coaches want and the fits for their scheme.

The bad news in the past was that we have had 3 coaching changes and even more coordinator changes.  Draft some players to fit a certain defense or ZBS and then poof, coaches and scheme are gone, but we are left with the players.

The good news going forward is that we should have the same coaches for much longer, even if it's not 10 years.

Now Reggie is the GM and will ultimately get the credit or the boot, but he is clearly a team effort kind of guy.

This is why I like the Gruden hire. For the first time since Gruden was here, there stability at the coaching position. Meaning the team can draft/sign and coach players into the scheme and let them grown. 

Cautiously optimistic however. This preseason has been..... odd. The tackles look like a mess. Carr has come out and thrown some ducks and was put on ice. Not sure if I like this whole guarded approach to the offense. I have no idea what they are about to be. And Gruden has acted like they didn't need preseason to figure it out. 

1 hour ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Didn’t people love the Obi pick at the time?  Tbh I liked it and thought in time he’d turn into a player. Not all Reggie’s fault though, hard to scout injuries and heart 

Yes... and most of those driving the hype bus are weirdly not saying a word about him being cut. And I disagree... you can scout heart. It's pretty easy to spot guys who want it and guys who don't.

1 hour ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Didn’t people love the Obi pick at the time?  Tbh I liked it and thought in time he’d turn into a player. Not all Reggie’s fault though, hard to scout injuries and heart 

TBH I felt very similarly, would not have liked the pick in the first round as I thought he was a player that would need to develop but I was quite happy with the pick in the 2nd and at the time thought it was a good risk to take. I can only recall Big P really not liking the pick and it was a huge hit with the talking heads............

Just now, big_palooka said:

Yes... and most of those driving the hype bus are weirdly not saying a word about him being cut. And I disagree... you can scout heart. It's pretty easy to spot guys who want it and guys who don't.

I do remember thinking a guy with those measurables should play more physical from the safety position, he never really hit anyone but was generally a 'safe' tackler. One thing I can't fault KJ for is putting his body on the line and his physicality, with hindsight that was a warning sign for Obi.

Archived