Interior vs Outside

Hunter2_1

It's tough to say.

Dallas had a stronger interior last season than outside (give Free credit, but it was clear he was the weak link) and had success. I think a lot of it depends on offensive scheme, player ability, etc. 

However, since the question involves making a choice, I'll go outside. There's a reason why there's such a premium for offensive tackles, it is after all all about protecting the QB.

Saints got by with 2 quality guards and two mediocre tackles for years and years. Then they shifted to spending a bit more capital on their tackles. Not sure if it was intentional or just them grabbing players as they felt they needed them.

but I remember for years the Saints went interior heavy with great success

The answer depends on who the QB is. If it's someone like Rivers, Brady, or good pocket QB, then a strong interior is the way to go. These QBs can step up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush more easily. If the QB has more mobility like Rodgers, then I would go with a strong outside.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2017 at 8:32 PM, Xenos said:

The answer depends on who the QB is. If it's someone like Rivers, Brady, or good pocket QB, then a strong interior is the way to go. These QBs can step up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush more easily. If the QB has more mobility like Rodgers, then I would go with a strong outside.

I think the opposite. If you have a mobile QB, EDGEs tends to be instructed to play more conservatively, more contain and the value of inside rush goes up.

The Saints set the trend in late 00s, as the amount of mobile QBs went up, the %of Cap space allocated on the interior OL also went up. No coincidence here.

I think the optimal cap strategy line is to pay the left side and center position and keep the right side on rookie scale contracts.

On 8/13/2017 at 2:59 PM, Madmike90 said:

Great question...a lot will depend on scheme of course...for example when the Saints had Evans & Nicks at OG they were able to short set which gave Brees' not only a great pocket to keep guys out his face but also created natural escape routes which allow him to move around between guard and tackle stepping up to get himself out of trouble and give him better sight lines...we see the Seahawks do that with Wilson as well to compensate for his height and use his athletic ability to the fullest...on the other hand teams with excellent OTs are able to get their RBs & TEs out in passing formations far more which then take rushers away from blitzing or gives your QB easy completions...

I think right now I would probably say interior...simply put the quickest way between two points is a straight line...some of the guys we are seeing playing DT and even NT these days 10 years ago would have been 50lbs lighter and playing LB...you need to be able to keep these guys out of your QBs face or they will destroy the rhythm and timing of your plays...

Having a strong interior is also a bigger benefit in the running game as well.

I agree with all of this.  It's part of the reason I'm so excited about what the Chargers are doing.  They're stacking the IOL with talent, and then getting perfect style of OT (athletic and long) for quick sets and getting the rusher going around the edge. Our OL coach, Pat Meyer is the understudy of the Saints former OL coach (Kromer) when they had Nicks/Evans/Grubbs on that IOL, and was the OL coach with the Bears when he put together the OG combo of Slauson/Long, and with the Bills when they got a lot out of Miller and Incognito.  I think we're on a really good path to success with the way the OL is coming along.

I'll put it this way.  If I could choose a single position on the OL to have a HOF level player, I think it would be center.  Sets the point of the pocket, opens up holes in the interior run game, and makes all of the blocking calls.  Next would be LT for all the reasons we know.  

But I think that a strong interior would be preferable if only because it means you have 3 studs on your OL instead of 2.  

Archived