Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Probably not them all for sure, but I think you could pay at least a few of those guys. You get Mack you're probably letting Clay walk. Wilkerson it all depends on what kind of year he has which will determine whether he signs for peanuts again or a bigger deal. I'd focus on Daniels and Clark. HHCD I'm reserving judgment until I see him play this year, he may not even be worth a big deal unless he rebounds.

After they sign Rodgers and Mack, then these 8 players (average contracts) will take up 120 million in cap space. (Rodgers, Mack, Adams, Bak, Perry, Daniels, Linsley) which leaves about 65 million for 45 players (average between $1.3 and $1.5 million per player... ). You might be able to swap players, like Clark for Daniels, but you're going to be seriously limited with FAs.

You might be able to resign one of them, but because lack of cap room, most of these guys will be going Matthews, Clinton-Dix, Wilkerson and either Daniels or Clark

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

because a-holes like me

Dear Moderator Packerraymond

Moderator CWood21 has asked us to "not resort to personal attack", so if you could kinda follow the rules and stop personally attacking yourself, we would all very much appreciate it. I'm sure you're a very nice person and shouldn't be vulgar about yourself at all. P.S. Sorry I'm a smart a$$. :D            

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

we just sit around and talk about how Greer Martini looks?

I saw his hair had better look days in college than I've seen him in the pros. Both long and short.

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

But does Khalil Mack make us that much better than say 2 FA signings AND the two DPs?  I think that's a hard sell to make, especially since we're talking about two notable FA signings.  Let's say Mack wants $22M/year, so you figure +/- $1M.  Do you think you're going to get more production out of Khalil Mack or Trumaine Johnson, Dontari Poe, Rashaan Evans, and Mike Hughes?  I'd probably argue the latter.

19 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Trumaine and Poe alone are making 38m this season

I think my example of WR Adams and TE Graham were close, I think it was average contracts of $24.5 .. and it's more personal to Packers fans because they're actually on the Packers. But the Packers might have let some guys go instead of resigning them (like Adams) or signing them in FA (like Graham). Because if the signed Rodgers and Mack they could have over 120 million (based on average contract) locked up into just 8 players... leaving between $55 and $70 million left for the other 45 players.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I still haven't seen a single person in here say that a trade of Khalil Mack is more likely than a Raiders contract extension. 

Why in a forum are people being put down for discussing something that's far less than certainty?

The very existence of these websites is because a-holes like me want to talk about trading for guys like Khalil Mack and I don't care how likely or unlikely it is. It's not "Disney Syndrome" it's called passing time from one game to the next. There's a meaningful NFL game for the Packers on 4% of the days of the year, how the hell is anyone supposed to be a fan if the other 96% we just sit around and talk about how Greer Martini looks?

I never said anyone said it's more likely. But it's like so many are trying so hard to think it's far more likely than I think it is and two picks is a far better of an offer than I think it is. I'm not saying anyone can't discuss it. Never did. Don't drop to the WE'RE BEING CENSORED BECAUSE SOMEONE DOESN'T AGREE level. I just think they're hitting the pipe. Lol

I know a guy who calls this kind of talk “rosterbating.”

“I’m driving and Khalil Mack needs a ride. He’s VERY grateful and wonders if I’d like it if he would play for us. Oh Khalil, this is such a nice surprise. Yes. Yes. Yesss. “

I am absolutely of the conservative mindset and hate taking “risks” but as this has now simmered for a good week now I finally gave it some real thought.

Khalil Mack IS a difference maker, he needs to be accounted for every single play. Everything about him is that he is grounded and a good teammate. He never had the hype, he has made himself through hard work never getting the five star recruit treatment. He hasn’t missed a game yet in his career.

In terms of risks, I would say Mack is on the lower end, I believe he has 5 more years of peak performance. The trickle down affect he would have on the defense would be significant. To possess that depth of pass rush ability on a defense is a defense that is playing late into January.

So that takes us to trade compensation. I have dreams of drafting the next Rodgers, Xavier Rhodes, DeAndre Hopkins or Travis Frederick with these 2 picks next year but odds are against that. Maybe I can package them together and move up for the next Aaron Donald or JJ Watt but that isn’t likely. A reasonable expected return on the draft picks is say a Bud Dupree and Darqueze Denard; two solid if unspectacular starters for their respective teams. The big give up here is the ability to lock in contributors on a rookie contract. Knowing that I am taking on a player with a massive cap hit, I need to ensure I am able to keep talented depth on the roster, if I’m giving up two first round picks, I will need back end picks back, ideally I would be looking for a 3rd and 5th In return.

Now for the contract, do you go the longer 6 year route or try and get a shorter contract selling the prospect of the player getting to the market at a still prime age? I think I prefer a 4 year contract but I just don’t see that as an option to Mack’s camp which means we’re looking at 6 years. So let’s say 6 years $135 million. That’s $22.5/per.

That seems like such an outlandish number but it is the direction contracts are heading and he would get that if not more on the FA market so the argument can be made that he is getting fair market value. Together with Rodgers the Packers would be locked up salary wise for the next half decade. Still I’m dealing with sticker shock so let’s try to find a perspective that works. This year the Packers have $23 million in cap between Matthews and Perry. Are those two a dynamic duo that alter game plans? I would say no, Matthews isn’t the guy that’s the heart of the defense and is a supporting piece at this point. Now, make that $33 million and Mack and Perry, my confidence in the edge just went from being, “eh, they’ll be ok but need help from up front” to “who needs cornerbacks, when their quarterbacks are broken” is that worth $11million? 

TL;DR

Trade both 2019 firsts for Khalil Mack, 3rd and 5th round picks.

sign to 6 year $135 million extension. 

The trade I am comfortable with it was the contract I was choking on until I put it into perspective. Have to find ways to make the roster work and yes that would mean players like Matthews, HaHa, Cobb aren’t getting resigned. Bulaga and Tramon would be at risk of being cut but in the quest for Super Bowls, there isn’t much room for loyalty and sentimental attachments.

This has nothing to do with anything but I still remember @Cadmus telling me about Mack in college like two years before he came out when he was like the 40th ranked at his position on nflds and just rolling my eyes, like yeah, cool. 

Cad is a genius.

23 minutes ago, Norm said:

This has nothing to do with anything but I still remember @Cadmus telling me about Mack in college like two years before he came out when he was like the 40th ranked at his position on nflds and just rolling my eyes, like yeah, cool. 

Cad is a genius.

I was sold on Mack when I saw him take that 45-yard pick-six against Ohio State. He was the best player on the field that game even though OSU routed Buffalo. 

Archived