Preseason GDT game 1 - The Amazing Dallas Defense vs. SF

DaBoys

7 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

one line up I would like to see on occasion would be six offensive lineman, tight end 2 wide receivers. Pound it hard on first down .

You know it'll probably never happen anywhere but the goaline, but I bet it would work. We were what 12/13 on 3rd and 1 last year? And our starting OL was 1/1 tonight. And everybody in the house knew we were running.

I get trying to disguise things, but our running game has shown great success even when the defense knows we have to run.

40 minutes ago, J Shank said:

First Glance Gameballs and Jockstraps

GB:

Byron

Taco

Gallup

Jaylon

Tavon

Lenoir

Bo

Dak

Joe Thomas

JS:

LVE

Entire 3rd String Defense

Okay I'm lazy and driving in the middle of North Carolina but if l v e turns out not to be good who could we have had at that pic can someone remind me thanks

18 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Okay I'm lazy and driving in the middle of North Carolina but if l v e turns out not to be good who could we have had at that pic can someone remind me thanks

You probably wanted Calvin Ridley or DJ Moore. I would have gone Evans, but liked LVE. Then of course..... Lamar Jackson. Or Will Hernandez and go a different direction at 50. Or a TE like Hurst or Gesicki.

But let's give LVE a chance. Barbie carpenter wasn't allowed to be a bust until year 3.

6 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

You probably wanted Calvin Ridley or DJ Moore. I would have gone Evans, but liked LVE. Then of course..... Lamar Jackson. Or Will Hernandez and go a different direction at 50. Or a TE like Hurst or Gesicki.

But let's give LVE a chance. Barbie carpenter wasn't allowed to be a bust until year 3.

I am definitely hoping and giving LVE all the time he needs it was just a hypothetical question based on me trying to kill some time driving forever and ever and ever

And good memory you are right I did want one of those two wide receivers Ridley or Moore

I thought Taco played great. 

And watching some highlights on sports show this morning... I am a little annoyed that Dak was rushing and then dove head first. Does he not remember how he earned his starting job? Dont be a playmaker in preseason, just flop if anyone gets near touching you.

Matts, my wife asked "Why are they holding Zeke out and not Dak"? 

I said, "Because if Zeke is out there, he will go full 'feed me' mode and never shy away from contact. Dak, on the other hand, knows its preseason, and as a QB he will just fall down or slide early if need be... He wont put his body on the line for a first down..."

First drive, mouth meet foot. Lol

Also, about LVE... I am totally rooting for him. The optimist in me says this about his performance: 

The game is too fast, and he has WAY TOO MUCH going on in his head. He just looked like he wasn't reacting, at all. In almost every play he looked like he was "paused", then, "computing" and it made he just late on every play. 

So, really, the main flaw I saw was the most typical rookie issue. 

With that said, Jaylon looked the opposite. He looked EXPLOSIVE, like he did in college. And they blitzed the hell out of him. He is really unique in is his pass rush ability, as he is a "TRUE" LB, too. On a rush up the middle (when he almost swatted a ball at the line) he got the penetration on his second effort, bull rushing the OL.

I won't hold LVE's performance against him. Like J said, he's thinking too much. Which in my opinion goes back to the staff trying to have him learn multiple positions at once. There's going to be a learning curve. 

LVE didn't do anything terribly noteworthy, but watching him drop into coverage is fascinating. Guys that big shouldn't be able to cover ground at the rate he can. He's still got work to do obviously, and fortunately there's enough LB depth to afford him some time to actually develop, but it's not hard to envision him at least carving out a role in passing situations, and/or against certain teams, especially early on while he gets his feet wet. 

How did Jihad Ward do last night? Did he get much playing time? Things obviously didn't work out well for him in Oakland but I hope to see him do well. His story is crazy.

Fwiw Switzer is looking very good for us. He will likely be our #4 WR (behind Cooper, Nelson and Bryant) but could be a key piece on 3rd down. 

Just finished watching game. Some observations....

Best takeaway overall from the game? No Sean Lee, no problem. Defense looked very good without him. 
Dallas can go ahead and cut Chaz Green right now. Not impressed with M. Martin either.
Byron Jones should have been playing CB from the start. 
Gallup and Lenoir looked terrific. 
Darius Jackson, FTW. 
LVE looked like he has a long ways to go.

Archived