The Box Office

Acgott

7 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-rising-skywalker-pre-sales-nearly-double-avengers-engame-1202765636/

Guessing this has to be on a technicality or something. I really don't think the interest compares at all.

It's comparing only tickets purchased in the first hour of being available and is only 45 percent more. Gross click bait is gross

21 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Yeah the hype is not nearly the same 

It could be, and probably should be, if they hadn't butchered the first two.  There just isn't the same emotional attachment to these characters as there probably should be.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

It could be, and probably should be, if they hadn't butchered the first two.  There just isn't the same emotional attachment to these characters as there probably should be.

Don’t agree that TFA was butchered, it actually had me hyped up for this new series. It was TLJ that killed everything for me.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, Fresh Prince said:

Yeah the hype is not nearly the same 

https://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-advance-ticket-sales-records-1202383121/

After owning the first half of May with Avengers: Infinity War, Disney will own the second half with Solo: A Star Wars Story. We reported yesterday that the Lucasfilm release is poised to make $170 million over the four-day Memorial Day holiday, and now Fandango reports that Solo’s advance tickets sales in their first 24 hours have outstripped Black Panther‘s.

Solo‘s first 24 hours of sales so far represent one of 2018’s best first day of presales for Fandango, second only to Avengers: Infinity War (which went on sale on Fandango on March 16).

22 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Don’t agree that TFA was butchered, it actually had me hyped up for this new series. It was TLJ that killed everything for me.

agree. TFA did a good job of

1. introducing some new characters that we could care about.

2. feeling like a Star Wars movie

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Meh. It was a solid movie but there were plenty of things that could have been better. 

sure. but it was what the franchise needed to escape the stink of the prequels 

it was a fine start. plot was familiar, but that was the point.

people needed to be reminded the were watching a star wars movie.

there was plenty to work from, but too many baffling decisions in TLJ.

I don’t think Star Wars 7 would’ve been well received if they didn’t bring back the old characters. They did good job of getting the stink of episodes 1-3 off of the brand Star Wars. They needed it to feel similar to the originals, to keep the older fans happy. I thought it did a great job of bringing in new characters and setup or story lines for a trilogy.

Then TLJ happened. Don’t get me wrong when the trailers were out I was excited to watch it and was finally becoming a big fan of the franchise. I didn’t enjoy it at all, I know some people defend it but to me it’s just not a good movie. 90% of the people I talk to have that same sentiment. I’ll watch TLSW but the excitement for me is gone. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

I don’t think Star Wars 7 would’ve been well received if they didn’t bring back the old characters. They did good job of getting the stink of episodes 1-3 off of the brand Star Wars. They needed it to feel similar to the originals, to keep the older fans happy. I thought it did a great job of bringing in new characters and setup or story lines for a trilogy.

Then TLJ happened. Don’t get me wrong when the trailers were out I was excited to watch it and was finally becoming a big fan of the franchise. I didn’t enjoy it at all, I know some people defend it but to me it’s just not a good movie. 90% of the people I talk to have that same sentiment. I’ll watch TLSW but the excitement for me is gone. 

Tbh the more of the old fans I talk to, the more I hear they prefer the prequels to the new trilogy. 

Tbh the more of the old fans I talk to, the more I hear they prefer the prequels to the new trilogy. 

I think Solo and Rogue One are both so, so much better than TLJ and TFA.

The practical effect costumes in Solo alone are better than anything in TLJ and TFA combined. I never understood why it was so poorly received.

Rogue One seems to be loved by most, so no need to really comment on why that is better than E7 + E8.

19 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think Solo and Rogue One are both so, so much better than TLJ and TFA.

The practical effect costumes in Solo alone are better than anything in TLJ and TFA combined. I never understood why it was so poorly received.

Rogue One seems to be loved by most, so no need to really comment on why that is better than E7 + E8.

Rogue One has the best actions scenes imo

Joker is now officially the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all time (unadjusted for inflation), topping Deadpool with $849m over the weekend. 

It's about to overtake Venom (it already beat it out in terms of profit margin, but it's about to surpass it in box office revenue as well) and the first $1 bil R-rated movie is actually looking more and more like a possibility at this rate. I don't think anyone expected it to do this well, even $500m seemed like a high-end estimate prior to its release. I predicted $420 mil WW during its entire run and was more than happy to be WAY off.

See, Blumhouse? If you make a GOOD MOVIE (!), it'll make money regardless (provided you market it enough, which they failed to do with Dredd, hence why it flopped despite being well-received). Now grow a pair and let Todd McFarlane give us R-rated Spawn reboot.