2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Not that it means much right now, but if the season ended right now the Jets would have the fifth overall pick in the draft. With the remaining brutal schedule we have I can't see us dropping down at all. And there is a good chance we could move up a spot or two. Lets see how good you mockers on this board are and get  me the best Edge Rusher or Wide Receiver in the draft.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Not that it means much right now, but if the season ended right now the Jets would have the fifth overall pick in the draft. With the remaining brutal schedule we have I can't see us dropping down at all. And there is a good chance we could move up a spot or two. Lets see how good you mockers on this board are and get  me the best Edge Rusher or Wide Receiver in the draft.

At this point I'd say there's no WR who deserves that high of a pick and that's an issue for me. At this stage I'd say I want us to draft LT Williams from Bama if we are that high unless we don't address Edge in FA (which I think we do address it) than I'd say go Edge rusher there.

Really duh in this morning to look at Bell’s game to see if he’s worth the money. And I 100% think he is. Besides us needing a difference maker... this guy has ability that is incredible. The biggest thing that jumps out to me about his game is... his patience. I’ve never really seen a RB in a very long time have the patience he does to let his blocks set up. The reward of this is... it gets defenders flat footed Bc they have no clue where he’s going. Bell isn’t a burner but he looks faster than he is bc every defender tackling him is coming from a stand still really. Defenders typically attack whoever has the ball. Bell doesn’t allow this bc of his patience. You attack where he is, then a second later he’s not there bc he let his block set up elsewhere and is no where near where the defender aimed. This also shows big time in his receiving. A good amount of his receiving yards are from screens. Which is perfect for him bc that allows again blockers to get out in front of him. And no one allows them to develop quite like he does and he is the best in the game at this. But that’s not all. He also can line up in the slot and be an actual WR at times too and do great there too. Yes we need to upgrade the OLine and I believe that will be a priority. But I don’t think anyone should question Bell’s ability. Really there’s no one quite like him

19 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not if we go after Bell

Bell isn't taking every carry and playing 100% of the snaps.  There is a role for a versatile backup like McGuire that can run and catch.  He's a perfect backup RB behind Bell because he can do a bit of everything similar to Powell.  

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Really duh in this morning to look at Bell’s game to see if he’s worth the money. And I 100% think he is. Besides us needing a difference maker... this guy has ability that is incredible. The biggest thing that jumps out to me about his game is... his patience. I’ve never really seen a RB in a very long time have the patience he does to let his blocks set up. The reward of this is... it gets defenders flat footed Bc they have no clue where he’s going. Bell isn’t a burner but he looks faster than he is bc every defender tackling him is coming from a stand still really. Defenders typically attack whoever has the ball. Bell doesn’t allow this bc of his patience. You attack where he is, then a second later he’s not there bc he let his block set up elsewhere and is no where near where the defender aimed. This also shows big time in his receiving. A good amount of his receiving yards are from screens. Which is perfect for him bc that allows again blockers to get out in front of him. And no one allows them to develop quite like he does and he is the best in the game at this. But that’s not all. He also can line up in the slot and be an actual WR at times too and do great there too. Yes we need to upgrade the OLine and I believe that will be a priority. But I don’t think anyone should question Bell’s ability. Really there’s no one quite like him

At this point in time I think you are right we are so desperate for a impact star player on offensive we should make a big effort to get him. We have some good players on our roster but no real game changers. Every year I keep over estimating the talent on the JETS, and every year I am wrong. We should get a top player with our first pick in the draft, but after our first pick we have to be lucky to get a star player in the third round. We are at the point now that money is no object. After the Miami, & Bills game I am changing my philosophy on what the Jets have to do. 

Really interested if my approach to the offseason morphs as we dive deeper into the FA class and draft but I really think it won't change all that much.  I think I'm pretty sold on who and what I hope we target though and don't see it changing too much.

I'm all in on Bell, Funchess and one of Barr/Ford/Fowler.  I would go Clowney or Lawrence over them but I just don't see either hitting the market.  After FA I'd take the first 3 picks and revamp the OL (OT, G, and C).  

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Really interested if my approach to the offseason morphs as we dive deeper into the FA class and draft but I really think it won't change all that much.  I think I'm pretty sold on who and what I hope we target though and don't see it changing too much.

I'm all in on Bell, Funchess and one of Barr/Ford/Fowler.  I would go Clowney or Lawrence over them but I just don't see either hitting the market.  After FA I'd take the first 3 picks and revamp the OL (OT, G, and C).  

Yeah I think most of us on this board changed our approach on the off season, after the Miami & Bills disaster.

7 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Yeah I think most of us on this board changed our approach on the off season, after the Miami & Bills disaster.

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Interested to see what we do, Bc there’s several ways to make us better. There’s some talented OL guys at LT, LG and C. We can spend the money there and get Bell making us go defense heavy. Or we could spread the money out.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Interested to see what we do, Bc there’s several ways to make us better. There’s some talented OL guys at LT, LG and C. We can spend the money there and get Bell making us go defense heavy. Or we could spread the money out.

Problem with OL in FA is rarely do good ones make it to FA.  Spain is highly unlikely to get there same with the LT from TB (Donovan I think his name is).  If they do great and we should be all in on them but I doubt they make it.

Best way to revamp the OL is likely through the draft which is why I'm really looking at the prospect this year because that's where we need to focus our selections.  Need to have another Brick/Mangold draft.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Problem with OL in FA is rarely do good ones make it to FA.  Spain is highly unlikely to get there same with the LT from TB (Donovan I think his name is).  If they do great and we should be all in on them but I doubt they make it.

Best way to revamp the OL is likely through the draft which is why I'm really looking at the prospect this year because that's where we need to focus our selections.  Need to have another Brick/Mangold draft.

Sometimes they do. I just posted a mock off season right before this discussion and actually have our 1st 2 picks LT and C. So I do agree. But I believe we can get at least 1 OL guy in FA.

If Jonah isn’t there I want us to go Harry/Metcalf or Montez Sweat. The more I watch the other LT’s in this draft the more they come off as RAW which personally I don’t think we can afford at this juncture of our rebuild, rather get the weapon or Pass rusher and wait till next year to address it when Beachum hasn’t been too bad. Beef up C and LG and that should help a ton too

• 2 weeks later...

I look around for Center.  Wow.  Only Risner and Michael Jordan look like a legit NFL center from day one.   Jordan hinted he would stay with OSU. Risner is better off playing either G or T to start off NFL career. The rest of Center class requires some seasonings to be an actual NFL center.  That would make signing Matt Paradis top priority for Jets.  Sucks if he isn't medically clear or signs with other team.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I look around for Center.  Wow.  Only Risner and Michael Jordan look like a legit NFL center from day one.   Jordan hinted he would stay with OSU. Risner is better off playing either G or T to start off NFL career. The rest of Center class requires some seasonings to be an actual NFL center.  That would make signing Matt Paradis top priority for Jets.  Sucks if he isn't medically clear or signs with other team.

Jenkins and Bradberry are very good C prospects that can play early. Jenkins is IMO the best C in the draft.

What did y’all think of Long at LG today? Didnt pay much attention to him. I’m curious how PFF grades him. If he plays decent, he may be useful in a backup role. 

Is Jonah Williams worth a top 5 pick?

i would love a scenario where the Jets trade back and pick up a couple of second rounders. Basically be the Colts of last year. Use the first on a LT and then trade back into the first and get a WR. I’m really liking Hollywood Brown at the moment.

Edited by SDotNova