2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Von Miller has been mentioned to be involved a trade almost every month since Peyton Manning retired.

Whether or not Von Miller going to Jets, Broncos won't do it prior to Jets being on the clock.   Drew Lock is said to be able to absorb new offense well and Giants and Jaguars could trade up to #1 or #2 for him. 

While I agree that it doesn't make sense until draft night, if Von is getting traded, now is the time to do it.  With 3 years left on his deal and him turning 30 soon, his trade value will never be this high again.  Denver is 2-3 years away from competing as well if they draft a QB.  On the flip side, his contract was backloaded so he's making 70+ mil over the next three years.  While you can never have enough pass rushers, it likely makes more sense to get good trade value out of him with Chubb and then spend half or less on a competent edge across from Chubb.

7 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I appreciate your opinion but I don’t agree with the negative concept. I actually think we are in a key position to get a bounty of picks to move down or secondly a team trades in front of us and we get Bosa or Allen. 

We have so much cash for FA to get at least two pieces on the o-line, a RB (doesn’t even have to be Bell) and another playmaker if we wanted.

We are set at QB now so let’s hope macc attacks this offseason and improves this team massively. 

That is what I said about the FA market we could score big, that was my point. I also said a pass rusher could fall to us at three. With Mac's draft ability do you really want him to give up the third overall pick, for a bunch of mid round pick & a late second round pick with his draft history.

6 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

While I agree that it doesn't make sense until draft night, if Von is getting traded, now is the time to do it.  With 3 years left on his deal and him turning 30 soon, his trade value will never be this high again.  Denver is 2-3 years away from competing as well if they draft a QB.  On the flip side, his contract was backloaded so he's making 70+ mil over the next three years.  While you can never have enough pass rushers, it likely makes more sense to get good trade value out of him with Chubb and then spend half or less on a competent edge across from Chubb.

Encouragingly.

Von will be 30. Why is every trade being brought up on this board trying to make us the oldest team in football? Someone please enlighten me. We finally found our QB, the goal should be to draft a young core not bring in over 30 players. We are FAR and I mean FAR from win now. 

Just now, ekill08x said:

Von will be 30. Why is every trade being brought up on this board trying to make us the oldest team in football? Someone please enlighten me. We finally found our QB, the goal should be to draft a young core not bring in over 30 players. We are FAR and I mean FAR from win now. 

Who cares if he’s 30?  He’s still arguably the best edge rusher in the game. Reggie White was a beast at 37. 

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Who cares if he’s 30?  He’s still arguably the best edge rusher in the game. Reggie White was a beast at 37. 

Because statistically that is when players start to decline. Its just not smart. The is a move a team makes who is a Von Miller away. Draft the pass rusher so you can have him for cheap for 4-5 years, not trade for a 30 year old one who already is making a ton of money. Not on a team who just won 4 games and 5 the previous 2 seasons. 

On 1/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, Bobby816 said:

Being at 3 with no trade back partners with Allen and Bosa gone is a nightmare scenario really for this franchise, and will more than likely set us back. BPA is Q. Williams, but he doesn't help this team much. DT is not an issue for us. So ya we add a great talent, but it doesn't elevate this team much.

It wouldn't set us back. Severe overstatement IMO. The Jets are going to use free agency to fill most (if not all) our needs and aim to trade down. If they can't make a move, they will still have options. 

As far as Quinnen Williams goes, pairing him and Leo would be insanity when you consider the Jets will probably sign 2 outside rushers in FA. Good luck to opposing defenses trying to defend that. That said, my guess is we would come away with Rashan Gary in this scenario. You're seeing a lot of Gary hype for good reason: he's one of those players who the NFL is higher on then the media given his freakish talent and Michigan's use of him. To me, I see a Carlos Dunlap-type player. He's more natural on the outside, but has the size and overpowering ability to he extremely effective on the inside if need be. I also think Gary is more talented, and could test like Mario Williams did.

Just now, ekill08x said:

Because statistically that is when players start to decline. Its just not smart. The is a move a team makes who is a Von Miller away. Draft the pass rusher so you can have him for cheap for 4-5 years, not trade for a 30 year old one who already is making a ton of money. Not on a team who just won 4 games and 5 the previous 2 seasons. 

I’d still do it at the right price. If we could get Von and 10 for 3, why wouldn’t we?  He has three years left on his deal and will provide double-digit sacks in at least 2 of them. 

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I’d still do it at the right price. If we could get Von and 10 for 3, why wouldn’t we?  He has three years left on his deal and will provide double-digit sacks in at least 2 of them. 

That would completely defeat the purpose of trading back honestly. Its a great deal for a good team. We are a very very bad team. We need more of a young core. FA has to be where we add veterans, not by trading back. I would absolutely hate that move for us. 

Just now, ekill08x said:

That would completely defeat the purpose of trading back honestly. Its a great deal for a good team. We are a very very bad team. We need more of a young core. FA has to be where we add veterans, not by trading back. I would absolutely hate that move for us. 

We could be a playoff team next year depending on how FA goes. 

I wouldn’t mind getting Von Miller, but would prefer draft picks.

Jets 3rd, 5th round pick, and 2020 3rd round for 

Broncos 10th pick, 2nd round pick and 2020 1st round

Get it done Macc. 

My dream would then be for us to solidify the OL and get Bell in free agency and get DK Metcalf with the 10th pick and Hollywood Brown with the 2nd round pick. 

Edited by SDotNova

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I wouldn’t mind getting Von Miller, but would prefer draft picks.

Jets 3rd, 5th round pick, and 2020 3rd round for 

Broncos 10th pick, 2nd round pick and 2020 1st round

Get it done Macc. 

My dream would then be for us to solidify the OL and get Bell in free agency and get DK Metcalf with the 10th pick and Hollywood Brown with the 2nd round pick. 

Why are we giving up anything? They are the ones moving up. Mac needs to use his trade last year as a barometer. Swap 1sts, a 2nd a 3rd and their 2 next year is slightly less than what we gave up.

14 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It wouldn't set us back. Severe overstatement IMO. The Jets are going to use free agency to fill most (if not all) our needs and aim to trade down. If they can't make a move, they will still have options. 

As far as Quinnen Williams goes, pairing him and Leo would be insanity when you consider the Jets will probably sign 2 outside rushers in FA. Good luck to opposing defenses trying to defend that. That said, my guess is we would come away with Rashan Gary in this scenario. You're seeing a lot of Gary hype for good reason: he's one of those players who the NFL is higher on then the media given his freakish talent and Michigan's use of him. To me, I see a Carlos Dunlap-type player. He's more natural on the outside, but has the size and overpowering ability to he extremely effective on the inside if need be. I also think Gary is more talented, and could test like Mario Williams did.

I think we don’t fill all needs in FA. For 2 reasons. We’ve never shown in the past that we can attract good FAs. So what exactly is filling needs? Was Spencer Long filling a need? Terrell Pryor filling a need? These aren’t exactly guys answering that position for us. Maybe we just have different ideas of what filling our needs are. I see it mite as actually getting a good player to ply that position for multiple seasons. Not a plug in guy.

7 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Why are we giving up anything? They are the ones moving up. Mac needs to use his trade last year as a barometer. Swap 1sts, a 2nd a 3rd and their 2 next year is slightly less than what we gave up.

Because I would want their first next year as well. Your scenario works but I would prefer to get 2 1st and 2nd even if it means giving up two mid round picks. Similar to what the Browns got when the Eagles traded up. The Browns gave up a 4th to even it out.

Edited by SDotNova

23 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

If we end up with Rashan Gary i quit.  Or at least i will feel like quitting before attempting to convince myself he can be a great football player.  But alas it would take a lot of convincing.  Gary is the poster boy for pure athlete and so so football player.  He has no idea how to use his hands, has no bend, or real true position.  He is to small for the inside, and doesn't have the bend or pass rush moves to play outside.  I really don't think he deserves to be taken in the top half of the first round.