2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

7 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

If we end up with Rashan Gary i quit.  Or at least i will feel like quitting before attempting to convince myself he can be a great football player.  But alas it would take a lot of convincing.  Gary is the poster boy for pure athlete and so so football player.  He has no idea how to use his hands, has no bend, or real true position.  He is to small for the inside, and doesn't have the bend or pass rush moves to play outside.  I really don't think he deserves to be taken in the top half of the first round.  

I agree.  Rashan would be a typical Jets pick.  If we're staying at 3, pick Quinnen.

Little has been said this off season about Darnold, my feeling is the 2019 season will be another learning season for him. Darnold will still be only 21 for most of the 2019 season. If the Jets front office, can get real offensive help in the offseason even at Darnold's, young age we could be a 500 team in 2019. This offseason will  be the KEY to Darnold"s development. If Macc, can get the job done in the offseason, watch out for the Jets in 2020. 

But knowing Macc, I am still not sure he is the man to get the job done. The fun will start in about six weeks.

Edited by doumeyer

What I question is how many difference making FAs we can attract without getting Bell. I also prefer the trade back Jacobs route... but I’m not sure we can attract big names here to spend our cap money without a big name signing with us like Bell. Leading us signing the Spencer Longs, Terrell Pryors of Free Agency like last offseason. Leaving us just slightly better.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

What I question is how many difference making FAs we can attract without getting Bell. I also prefer the trade back Jacobs route... but I’m not sure we can attract big names here to spend our cap money without a big name signing with us like Bell. Leading us signing the Spencer Longs, Terrell Pryors of Free Agency like last offseason. Leaving us just slightly better.

Yes it is going to be very tricky, we have to worry about 31 other teams. Some team might need only one player and are willing to go all out to get a certain player. For us we need at least three or four players. We are still in the rebuilding progress, how long have we been saying that.

Edited by doumeyer

21 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Bobby816  

I agree but I think Jamal A. will bring guys in. I think he is really liked in the NFL circle. 

I honestly hate that about our culture. A team isn't a place for stars to bring their friends along. It should be a place where players comes to win and cement a legacy - not be closer to their drinking buddies. We're lucky Jamal is a great team player, but if he were to turn AB we'd be in trouble.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t really buy this. You’ve been overstating the whole “attract FA” narrative but at the end of the day money talks BS walks. If we don’t sign Le’Veon it’s because he wants no state income tax and wants to live in Florida. It will have nothing to do with our attractiveness as a destination.

I get it you want an offensive star, but I think Gase is going to have a big role in identifying what kind of  players fit on his Jets offense, and they may be guys who haven’t “produced” yet. Last year he handpicked Albert Wilson-who was going on to having a big year prior to getting hurt. It could be guys like Crowder or Funchess or Humphries paired with an offensive lineman or 2. It’s not going to be an inspiring name, but I’m ok with that. 

Where I do see us adding star power is on defense. We’re going to sign 2 pass rushers, possibly a LB, and maybe a DB. Our defense will be what wins us games next year, with eyes on the following year to be Sam’s “breakout” campaign. 

Edited by jetskid007

10 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I honestly hate that about our culture. A team isn't a place for stars to bring their friends along. It should be a place where players comes to win and cement a legacy - not be closer to their drinking buddies. We're lucky Jamal is a great team player, but if he were to turn AB we'd be in trouble.

Good point, we are not the NBA where the players run the league.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I agree 100%. I do however think Jamal is doing things different. He’s a player. He wants to build that winning culture. These aren’t his boys he wants to bring in, its fellow good players that our team needs.

I want NOTHING to do with AB...NOTHING. Brining in old players with attitudes will find us cleaning house yet again in two years. If the Jets do this they are absolute fools. Save the draft capital and DRAFT BETTER or find the guy who can. I don’t even remember the last time we had a draft where we had all our original picks. Maybe the hackenberg year, but Mac blew that draft too. Having 100 million to spend doesn’t impress me, it scares me and it’s a testiment to how we can’t draft what so ever nor have young players worth giving contracts. I think Mac needs to crush this draft (3rd year in a row we’ve said this) or he has to go regardless of new coach. He’s an issue right now and it has to change. 

22 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don’t really buy this. You’ve been overstating the whole “attract FA” narrative but at the end of the day money talks BS walks. If we don’t sign Le’Veon it’s because he wants no state income tax and wants to live in Florida. It will have nothing to do with our attractiveness as a destination.

I get it you want an offensive star, but I think Gase is going to have a big role in identifying what kind of  players fit on his Jets offense, and they may be guys who haven’t “produced” yet. Last year he handpicked Albert Wilson-who was going on to having a big year prior to getting hurt. It could be guys like Crowder or Funchess or Humphries paired with an offensive lineman or 2. It’s not going to be an inspiring name, but I’m ok with that. 

Where I do see us adding star power is on defense. We’re going to sign 2 pass rushers, possibly a LB, and maybe a DB. Our defense will be what wins us games next year, with eyes on the following year to be Sam’s “breakout” campaign. 

We’ve tried the defense wins games thing. And when they’re on the field the whole game it doesn’t matter. I agree with that’s probably what we will do. But it will be the same old Jets. QB with average weapons and a star defense that plays like a regular defense bc the offense can’t score. It’s not a coincidence that the last 4 teams in the playoffs this year were the 4 highest scoring teams along with all having not “great” defenses (LA the exception). Defense doesn’t win anymore. The league caters to scoring. And I’m not at all say just field crap out there on defense. But our investments shouldn’t be constantly onnthat side of the ball. If we attack FA the way you stated. That puts a ton of Gase. And quite frankly he’s not that much of an offensive guru to make it work. So we’d calling for him to get fired in no time.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We’ve tried the defense wins games thing. And when they’re on the field the whole game it doesn’t matter. I agree with that’s probably what we will do. But it will be the same old Jets. QB with average weapons and a star defense that plays like a regular defense bc the offense can’t score. It’s not a coincidence that the last 4 teams in the playoffs this year were the 4 highest scoring teams along with all having not “great” defenses (LA the exception). Defense doesn’t win anymore. The league caters to scoring. And I’m not at all say just field crap out there on defense. But our investments shouldn’t be constantly onnthat side of the ball. If we attack FA the way you stated. That puts a ton of Gase. And quite frankly he’s not that much of an offensive guru to make it work. So we’d calling for him to get fired in no time.

I think you're giving them too much heat. Clearly offense is the priority long-term - they hired Gase for that very reason - but keep in mind that we have a young QB (still 21) and the playbook is very complex. It's going to take him a year or 2 to be comfortable. Will we be an improved unit? Yes, I think so, but there is not any 1-2-or-3 players on this planet for that would make us a top 4 scoring offense overnight. It's going to take time. It's not about being a final 4 team right now, it's getting back in contention right now while building to be that kind of team year in and year out.

Bottom-line, the defense will be the life blood of the team in 2019.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A lot of great conversations today on our board, it is hard to argue with any of them. It must be the cold weather up north that made you guy so sharp.

I really don't think or offense is that far away.  If we can revamp the OL and get another talented WR we'd be just fine.  Many of our struggles last year had to do with rookie QB, bad OL and injuries to the WR's (Anderson, Q, and even Pryor who was making plays early on).  We really need more then anything to revamp the OL and for Sam to just naturally improve and the offense will no longer be a liability.  Not saying they become the Rams or Chiefs but if they can just be competent middle of the pack and we get our defense together we can be a playoff contender. 

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I really don't think or offense is that far away.  If we can revamp the OL and get another talented WR we'd be just fine.  Many of our struggles last year had to do with rookie QB, bad OL and injuries to the WR's (Anderson, Q, and even Pryor who was making plays early on).  We really need more then anything to revamp the OL and for Sam to just naturally improve and the offense will no longer be a liability.  Not saying they become the Rams or Chiefs but if they can just be competent middle of the pack and we get our defense together we can be a playoff contender. 

No I agree that we aren't far off. But we have 0 difference makers. And that's what you see most good teams have at least 1 or more of. It will only take getting that 1 or 2 difference makers to take us to the next level. I do think we make 2 spots on the OL a priority (I assume in some sort of of C, LG, and LT). Which I will love. I've said that beefing up the OL should be priority 1. I've never put that below a great RB or WR. But I feel we need to get a difference maker at RB and 1 WR that's great. Via trade, draft and FA.

Darrell Henderson RB from Memphis is another RB high on my list. Thrives in space and can run between the tackles. KInda like 1 step below Jacobs. If we don't land Bell or draft Jacobs in Round 1 and we trade back acquire a 2nd and Henderson is there... I'd run up to the podium for him.