Better 3 year prime: Ed Reed or Darrelle Revis

mdonnelly21

42 members have voted

1. 1. Better 3 year Prime

• Ed Reed
    • Darrelle Revis

20 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Ed Reed. 

I can approximate Revis with certain players in today’s NFL. There hasn’t been another Ed Reed. 

Man, golden age of safeties with him, Dawkins, and Polamalu. No one in the NFL today comes close to any of those three.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Based on responses, I think some people are factoring in their entire career.

@mdonnelly21 what years do you consider their 3 year peak? For Revis, I’m thinking 2009-2011. For Reed, I’m thinking 2006-2008.

Revis over this time was hardly targeted and had 10 INT with 2 TD. Was first team all pro all three years. He also had 305 yards off those INTs.

Reed over those three years had 21 INT and 3 TD. He also had 464 return yards off those INTs. He also was a first team all pro those three years.

I think it’s fairly close actually. It’s a toss up to me. 

Well, aside from J.J Watt & Ray Lewis I haven't seen a player as dominant on the defensive side of the ball as I had seen Revis in 2009, his 1 year peak. But those are good stretches Imo that you chose. For the record I think Ed Reed is the greatest Safety of all time. 

It just so happens that Revis longevity/prime was much shorter so it wasn't that long but for that stretch I felt he was amongst the most dominant CB's of all time. I'm sure you know as well being a Jets fan. 

7 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Well, aside from J.J Watt & Ray Lewis I haven't seen a player as dominant on the defensive side of the ball as I had seen Revis in 2009, his 1 year peak. But those are good stretches Imo that you chose. For the record I think Ed Reed is the greatest Safety of all time. 

It just so happens that Revis longevity wasn't that long but for that stretch I felt he was amongst the most dominant CB's of all time. I'm sure you know as well being a Jets fan. 

Revis that year covered some great receivers. I’d have to go back and look. But just for starters, he held Randy Moss to 24 yards and 34 yards in a year that Moss had Brady throwing to him and had 1264 receiving yards. 

8 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Revis that year covered some great receivers. I’d have to go back and look. But just for starters, he held Randy Moss to 24 yards and 34 yards in a year that Moss had Brady throwing to him and had 1264 receiving yards. 

Andre Johnson was probably the best WR in the league at that time. Moss/Brady was the most deadly combination. Brees/Colston went to the SB I think that year. T.O was still dominant. Steve Smith still dominant. Reggie Wayne with Peyton Manning, the #'s he held these guys too is enough said. 

Greatest DB year I've ever seen for sure. 

screen-shot-2009-12-28-at-5.19.01-pm.png

19 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Andre Johnson was probably the best WR in the league at that time. Moss/Brady was the most deadly combination. Brees/Colston went to the SB I think that year. T.O was still dominant. Steve Smith still dominant. Reggie Wayne with Peyton Manning, the #'s he held these guys too is enough said. 

Greatest DB year I've ever seen for sure. 

screen-shot-2009-12-28-at-5.19.01-pm.png

Ahh thanks for looking up those stats. It’s harder to judge how great a corner is by typical stats alone since a lot of their success is what other players don’t do.

In that year, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson and Andre Johnson were probowlers. Moss and Owens are two of the greats. Steve Smith and Colston were solid. Moss was still playing a top level. Owens was towards the end of his career though. 

It's easier to look at Revis' coverage stats and notice his impact, whereas with Reed you're generally looking at just blanket statistics and it's a lot harder to notice him shutting people down or shutting down a passing game by himself, but man Reed in his best year was basically Revis but the entire field. Reed was everywhere. You absolutely couldn't throw deep on the Ravens and Reed could pick you off anywhere else. Yeah Revis can lock down one player the entire game, but Reed locked down the entire field and still generated turnovers at an insane rate. Add in on top of all of that the return yardage and TD's he created and IMHO it's just not close.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's easier to look at Revis' coverage stats and notice his impact, whereas with Reed you're generally looking at just blanket statistics and it's a lot harder to notice him shutting people down or shutting down a passing game by himself, but man Reed in his best year was basically Revis but the entire field. Reed was everywhere. You absolutely couldn't throw deep on the Ravens and Reed could pick you off anywhere else. Yeah Revis can lock down one player the entire game, but Reed locked down the entire field and still generated turnovers at an insane rate. Add in on top of all of that the return yardage and TD's he created and IMHO it's just not close.

PFF grades would be useful for this debate. Or something like it. I don’t think they were publishing anything back then. And they since refined their methodology. So they may not helpful.

I hear what you are saying. To me it’s still a toss up. The second best player the Jets had in that stretch was probably David Harris.

Started digging. This is all I could find. Not sure if they are comparable over years, but Revis’ 2009 Grade was 97.4 and, per this article, is used as a benchmark internally at PFF. This thread is a 3 year stretch debate though. 

It doesn’t give Ed Reed’s grade. Troy’s best years for comparison were in the low 90’s.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-all-decade-team

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Revis was key cog to Rex’s defenses in NY.  He allowed Rex to do so much. 

Any window size you want to make, prime Reed > prime Revis. What Reed did was just more impactful. Game changing plays, eliminating the deep middle, and heck even being ridiculously good at special teams. There are a handful of guys who can closely imitate 2009 Revis covering one guy in man coverage. The completition percentage allowed makes that season stand out as one of the best by a CB, but he also allowed 3 TDs. There are a few starting CBs who don't allow a TD each season. 

Archived