Better 3 year prime: Ed Reed or Darrelle Revis

mdonnelly21

42 members have voted

1. 1. Better 3 year Prime

• Ed Reed
    • Darrelle Revis

Voted Ed Reed and I don't think it's that close. 

Not sure I agree about the one year peak either. Ed Reed's 2004 season, which should have netted him an MVP trophy, is at least as impressive as Revis' 2009 season; 76 tackles, 9 INTs, 3 FF, 2 defensive TDs and 400+ yards gained off turnovers. 

Different positions (FS to CB) in their prime, but prime Ed Reed may be the best/most dynamic ball-hawking player I've seen. You couldn't throw over the middle, you couldn't throw late/across your body, and throwing downfield was almost impossible. That Front 7/8 wasn't exactly terrible either and let him free-lance a bit.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Ed Reed. 

I can approximate Revis with certain players in today’s NFL. There hasn’t been another Ed Reed. 

Pretty much this. I think that Revis is a generational talent while Ed Reed is a once in a lifetime talent.

Ed Reed did things that no other FS has ever done. He was a dynamic scoring threat on defense. The all-time greatest baiter in the sport's history. Incredibly smart, fast, athletic, hard-hitting, and was a fantastic leader. All in all, Reed was a top 5 DB. Darrelle Revis was a lockdown corner, but Reed did it for longer and made more impact plays. Interception numbers can be kind of flukey at times, but Reed did it with such frequency and converted those INT's into big returns and points, that it perplexes my mind.

Reed was better than Revis. Reed's best year is still better than Revis' best year.

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ed Reed did things that no other FS has ever done. He was a dynamic scoring threat on defense. The all-time greatest baiter in the sport's history. Incredibly smart, fast, athletic, hard-hitting, and was a fantastic leader. All in all, Reed was a top 5 DB. Darrelle Revis was a lockdown corner, but Reed did it for longer and made more impact plays. Interception numbers can be kind of flukey at times, but Reed did it with such frequency and converted those INT's into big returns and points, that it perplexes my mind.

Reed was better than Revis. Reed's best year is still better than Revis' best year.

This can't really be overstated. Reed has over 100 more return yards in his career than the next closest guy (Rod Woodson), and he played for a shorter period of time than anyone in the top 5. When Ed got the ball in his hands, he made stuff happen at a rate that no other player in history has ever done. He was the best at creating turnovers, and he was the best at returning those picks.

Revis. Easily. That's only because Revis was doing all that with pretty much only decent players alongside him. Those Ravens defenses were something special. Though I would agree with anyone who said that overall Reed was a better player than Revis

Based on responses, I think some people are factoring in their entire career.

@mdonnelly21 what years do you consider their 3 year peak? For Revis, I’m thinking 2009-2011. For Reed, I’m thinking 2006-2008.

Revis over this time was hardly targeted and had 10 INT with 2 TD. Was first team all pro all three years. He also had 305 yards off those INTs.

Reed over those three years had 21 INT and 3 TD. He also had 464 return yards off those INTs. He also was a first team all pro those three years.

I think it’s fairly close actually. It’s a toss up to me. 

Archived