Talk me out of Davante Adams

sammymvpknight

I currently have him as one of my top WRs. I see guys like Julio Jones, AJ Green, Keenan Allen, and Mike Evans being drafted over him...and I'm kind of scratching my head. So...he is the only WR in the league to have at least 10 TD's in the last two seasons (including last year with a bunch of horrid QBs). He has the best QB in the NFL passing him the ball. He has very little competition at the WR position. He is entering his physical prime at at age 25. He has been absolutely blowing up in training camp and preseason, looking like a guy who is going to take yet another step forward.

I'm strongly considering taking him over all of the guys I mentioned above in an upcoming draft. Why should I not?

It's not a bad take. I can see the argument about taking him over Allen especially give Allen's health questions and i like him better than Green for sure.

I'm still taking Julio over him. He has the ability to win you a game all by himself. Are you shocked at the end of a game or two this season Julio has 10 catches for 200 and a touchdown or two? Not really. He's done it before. Adams doesn't have that monster ceiling but might be the most consistant week to week given Rodgers is throwing him passes. Me, I'll take the higher upside with against a slightly higher floor in this case 

My plan in my home league is to take the best rb available in round one and then adams in round 2. I traditionally like to go Wr in round one because I know that I can get rbs on the waiver wire and later in the draft. I agree with your reasoning that Adams is in line for a monster season and I feel confident I'll get him in round 2 unless I'm drafting too high in round one (at which point my hands will be tied anyways). He really should be a TD machine. 

15 hours ago, dtait93 said:

What do you guys think about taking Davante over Michael Thomas?

Adams vs Thomas is tough. I think that they will both be superstars this year and you can’t go wrong with either. I agree with JaguarCrazy that Thomas will probably have the edge in PPR. He probably has a floor of 90 receptions barring health. I think that standard drafting is a coin flip. I personally like Thomas...think he’s the next Cris Carter, so I’d pick Thomas. But I wouldn’t blame anyone with going Adams. I have them as my #3-4 WRs, over guys like Beckham, Jones, Green, Evans, and Allen. Their floors are higher in my opinion and I think their ceilings are just as high. 

I think the challenge with Davante is that he has a lower floor than the guys he's being drafted around but a higher ceiling. I got him after Julio/AJ/Thomas/Allen all came off the board, and I was happy to get him with a late 2nd rounder, but I would have preferred any of them over him. Even with Jordy gone, between Graham taking away red zone targets and his general challenges with concussions, there's some red flags to go with the fact that he has never posted elite volume production the way any of those other guys have. I think believing Davante can blossom into an elite fantasy receiver this year is a reasonable projection to make, but it's still mostly just that: projection. For me with my 1st and 2nd round picks I tend to want to go a little safer, so I'd prefer the other guys, but that doesn't mean Davante isn't in a great position to become a nailed on elite WR1 this year.  

On 8/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

PPR I'd go Thomas

Standard its super close I still have Thomas ahead but its like 7 points total on the whole season so nothing really

After owning Thomas the past 2 years, I would go Adams now that Nelson is gone and he is the #1 only true big WR threat in the offense.

Thomas is consistently awesome and his floor is super high, but from the past 2 years I feel like his ceiling is low. He's a sure fire 10-20 pt a week guy but it frustrated me at times with him that he was never good for that huge week of 145 yards and 2 TDs for 28 fantasy points. Just because there are so many mouths to feed in that offense.

I believe Adams has that ability to sraight take over a week for you and win a week based on a few huge performances 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

After owning Thomas the past 2 years, I would go Adams now that Nelson is gone and he is the #1 only true big WR threat in the offense.

Thomas is consistently awesome and his floor is super high, but from the past 2 years I feel like his ceiling is low. He's a sure fire 10-20 pt a week guy but it frustrated me at times with him that he was never good for that huge week of 145 yards and 2 TDs for 28 fantasy points. Just because there are so many mouths to feed in that offense.

I believe Adams has that ability to sraight take over a week for you and win a week based on a few huge performances 

I think you’re making a big mistake. You’re going to hold it against Thomas that he has a low ceiling when he will be 25 years old this year? Listen to what you are saying. He has had one of the greatest first two seasons for a WR in NFL history. He is the clear cut #1 option. He’s improved considerably over the offseason. Why can’t he take the natural progression of most NFL WRs and peak around age 28-29? 

Michael Thomas is a more talented receiver than Davante Adams, there is absolutely no reason to suspect that the guy won’t be a superstar for a very long time. 

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think you’re making a big mistake. You’re going to hold it against Thomas that he has a low ceiling when he will be 25 years old this year? Listen to what you are saying. He has had one of the greatest first two seasons for a WR in NFL history. He is the clear cut #1 option. He’s improved considerably over the offseason. Why can’t he take the natural progression of most NFL WRs and peak around age 28-29? 

Michael Thomas is a more talented receiver than Davante Adams, there is absolutely no reason to suspect that the guy won’t be a superstar for a very long time. 

The same could have been said about Jordy Nelson but the 3 years he was healthy he averaged 1363/93/11.6 and I don't see any reason why Adams can't mirror a stat line similar to that this year; he already is in the TD department. Being Rodgers' #1 target and the fact that GB is clearly more pass heavy I think has to put Adams ahead by just a hair the more I'm thinking about it. I don't think you can go wrong with either though.

30 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I'm not saying it has anything to do with talent. It does have everything to do with the fact that Thomas opportunities, especially in the RZ, are not what Adams are. Plus the Packers stretch the field more with Rodgers and his deep balls.

They are both similarly great WRs. I just like the opportunities in GBs offense with Rodgers arm over NOs opportunities. I believe Adams will have more TD and RZ opportunities

Archived