Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Read an article Carlos Henderson got arrested for weed over the weekend. Don't know where to post it but it makes me mad. 

It’s confirmed - 

Given he’s likely not in the testing program players only get tested 1x between late April and early August.   So players have free reign unless they get arrested like this.  This will count as strike #1 - he will have to stay clean for 90 days to get out of the program, nothing more.   He gets 3 more strikes before he’d be suspended.

The policy on weed is out of date and absolutely stupid - as long as it doesn’t affect play on the field (or you drive impaired) I could care less.  It’s not a PED.  Apparently hundreds of players have enetered the program since the policy changed in 2011 to 2016 and that’s only the guys who get caught.  It’s not a PED.  Such a silly policy to include weed.    But it is what it is.  

Given he’s now in the program time to shape up and stay off it. The policy is dumb but you gotta follow it to keep playing and getting paid then you follow it. Von had to learn that lesson the hard way by getting 4 strikes C-Henderson isn’t going to get as much leash (duh who would) but the system allows for many more chances to avoid trouble and keep playing.  

I’m concerned C-Henderson may not be smart enough to incorporate a NFL playbook and too raw to develop the route running skills needed to make use of his great raw physical tools but this doesn’t move the needle.   Fail more tests esp while in the program though different story.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a funny thought. We're seeing talk of Atwater and John Lynch in the HOF.

Just my opinion but I think Billy Thompson was the best safety this team ever had. In the box or open field he was awesome. I actually like him better than Dennis Smith. Anyway, IMO Atwater is in the top three Denver safties with Thompson and Smith. John Lynch really isn't in the conversation.

As long as I'm at it, Louis Wright is the best CB this team ever had, sorry Champ.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

There is no way to get the rules perfect, but my god these catch rules need a crap load of clarification.

Yes, they do.   Ertz's call was correct, but the fact they needed to review and debate it shows how crazy this rule is.

The fact the new 2017 rules said that extending the ball isn't a football act is the problem (which is the only reason why Ertz's play was reviewed, because he caught it at 5 yard line, turned upfield, took 3 steps total, last 2 being the ones upfield, then stretched out).   It was done to justify calling Dez Bryant's playoff non-catch and Calvin Johnson - and it burned Jesse James (because he didn't get to turn upfield with 3 steps, no football move besides the lunge).   A lunge to extend the ball over the EZ is very clearly a football move - it's that way when you are a runner.   To make it different for a catch and a run....it's just dumb.   I'm glad they are looking to review and revise.  It's very much needed.

• Like 1

And BTW - what a great game.  So glad PHI won, good for them.   

First time a team racked up 600+ yards and lost.

First time a team never punted...and lost a playoff game.

NE's 8.5 yards per play was the highest ever for a losing team. 

Tip my cap to PHI, they earned this one.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yes, they do.   Ertz's call was correct, but the fact they needed to review and debate it shows how crazy this rule is.

The fact the new 2017 rules said that extending the ball isn't a football act is the problem (which is the only reason why Ertz's play was reviewed, because he caught it at 5 yard line, turned upfield, took 3 steps total, last 2 being the ones upfield, then stretched out).   It was done to justify calling Dez Bryant's playoff non-catch and Calvin Johnson - and it burned Jesse James (because he didn't get to turn upfield with 3 steps, no football move besides the lunge).   A lunge to extend the ball over the EZ is very clearly a football move - it's that way when you are a runner.   To make it different for a catch and a run....it's just dumb.   I'm glad they are looking to review and revise.  It's very much needed.

Exactly.  I have no issue with the Ertz TD.  He clearly had possession and made a football move.  The Clement TD should have been incomplete.  He never had control prior to his foot being out of bounds.  

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And BTW - what a great game.  So glad PHI won, good for them.   

First time a team racked up 600+ yards and lost.

First time a team never punted...and lost a playoff game.

NE's 8.5 yards per play was the highest ever for a losing team. 

Tip my cap to PHI, they earned this one.

Yeah that was a Super Bowl for the ages.