Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

22 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I agree as the rule is currently written. But to me, the act of reaching for the goal line should count as a football move. I guess my issue is that the NFL can't seem to decide what actually counts as possession. Jesse James had that ball in a death grip; if he makes that catch at the 50 yard line in the first quarter, there is ZERO percent chance it doesn't end up a completion. The deliberate act of reaching for the goal line is what ultimately jarred the ball loose, not him falling to the ground while diving for a catch. To me it seems different.

The knee being down is the completion of that catch...then when the ball crossed the goaline, TD, play over.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

The knee being down is the completion of that catch...then when the ball crossed the goaline, TD, play over.

Yeah...don't understand the difference between this, and when a running back leaps over the line of scrimmage and just puts the ball over the goal line and it is deemed a TD...even if the ball comes lose afterwords.  

Alas, I am not a politician, I just leave the answers to these questions for the suits in Washington.  

Vince McMahon selling his shares of WWE and supposedly getting back into football. Dude thinks he sees the NFL continuing to decline and he’s going to swoop in and collect the scraps.

Ballsy move, but if there was a time to do it it’s now.  Overall terrible product from the NFL, but part of that is because of the college spread ruining QBs and OLs.  But he’d likely also not restrict the enternaintment portion or the player voice portion, even though I agree with the NFL in trying to limit that.  

If there were ever a time to take down the NFL or attempt too it’s now.

Edited by germ-x

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

Overall terrible product from the NFL, but part of that is because of the college spread ruining QBs and OLs.  But he’d likely also not restrict the enternaintment portion or the player voice portion, even though I agree with the NFL in trying to limit that.  

This is something that we haven't discussed as much as we probably should around here. This is a savvy group of football fans in this forum. 

You are 100% correct that the overall product of the NFL is terrible. Even my interest in the game has waned over the last handful years. 

31 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is something that we haven't discussed as much as we probably should around here. This is a savvy group of football fans in this forum. 

You are 100% correct that the overall product of the NFL is terrible. Even my interest in the game has waned over the last handful years. 

The QB play is so terrible. It's amazing how 10 years ago we were talking about how Bill Polian changed the rules and the defense stood no chance and now the offenses are just completely overmatched talent wise. It's embarrassing, tbh. QB play and management decisions in respect to the position are embarrassing

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

But non-competitive games with offensive lines getting torn to shreds entertain you? 

I would say my level of enjoyment is about the same as it was a few years back. In 2012/2013 I was just loving watching the Broncos win every week, whereas this year I'm less about watching the Broncos and more of a general NFL fan watching redzone and primetime games.

Just now, paul-mac said:

I would say my level of enjoyment is about the same as it was a few years back. In 2012/2013 I was just loving watching the Broncos win every week, whereas this year I'm less about watching the Broncos and more of a general NFL fan watching redzone and primetime games.

This is the first year I can remember Red Zone boring me to tears. The last couple weeks have been more entertaining but there have been so many forgettable Sundays this year. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

This is the first year I can remember Red Zone boring me to tears. The last couple weeks have been more entertaining but there have been so many forgettable Sundays this year. 

It's probably a combination of a few things; new job, girl, and a lot of my old friends have grown up so less time at the bar watching games but even when I did it wasn't the same.  Blame bad product, Broncos being bad, endless commercials, too many games or whatever I just wasn't into it as much.

Coincidentally I made the fantasy semis/chipper in all 3 of my leagues so I watched a lot more the last couple weeks than I have been and there have also been a lot more entertaining games in that span as well.

I'm hoping the quality of games turns around so even if I watch less, when I do watch its entertaining.

7 hours ago, champ11 said:

The QB play is so terrible. It's amazing how 10 years ago we were talking about how Bill Polian changed the rules and the defense stood no chance and now the offenses are just completely overmatched talent wise. It's embarrassing, tbh. QB play and management decisions in respect to the position are embarrassing

Agreed and I blame a lot of this on the college spread.

Again, don’t fault college coaches for doing it because it wins a lot of games.  But QBs are severely under developed entering the NFL and OLs only need to block for half a second, meaning, they aren’t a high priority.  All the athletic players with size are going to the defensive side to try and combat the spread and that’s been starting to happen at the HS level as well.

15 hours ago, germ-x said:

Agreed and I blame a lot of this on the college spread.

Again, don’t fault college coaches for doing it because it wins a lot of games.  But QBs are severely under developed entering the NFL and OLs only need to block for half a second, meaning, they aren’t a high priority.  All the athletic players with size are going to the defensive side to try and combat the spread and that’s been starting to happen at the HS level as well.

It's a tickle-up effect if you will. It's easier for high schools to run a simple spread, but their best athlete at QB and let him do his thing. That in turn effects the type of players colleges recruit and thus up to the NFL level. 

When I played high school football (1996-1999) we ran a traditional pro-style offense with a HB, FB, TE, split end and flanker as our base package. On passing plays, our QBs job was to find the open receiver or back and throw him the ball. Not just at my school but in our league and throughout the state, the best athlete was usually the HB, now it's the QB. On the majority, large majority of high school teams in Colorado this year, most team's leading rusher is their QB. That was not the case even 10 years ago let alone 20 years ago when I played.