Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

4 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

There's a scheme of some sort afoot over there, honestly now the most compelling part of the offseason until the draft

Also, there is some really good value potentially at LT around in the 20's.

One thing to consider is them wanting McGlinchey or Kolton Miller, who both fit the mold of a Patriot like no other, and are Soldner clones in a lot of ways . 

So, as AAA alluded to, what is Belechick up to?  Rumors are that they could be trying to move up for a qb.  It is kind of strange that the Pats, who constantly trade out of Round 1, have two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders.   They have lost - Cooks - WR, Solder - LT, Butler - CB, Amendola - WR, and Fleming - OL.   Their QB, a HOF, will be 41 when the season starts in 2018.

Do they move up to get a QB this year?  Are they a possible trade partner with us now?  I checked the value chart and #23 (760), #31 (600) and #42 (480) for our #5 (1700) is pretty close.  If we did a deal, I would hold out for their other 2nd or at least a 3rd.

Would you do it?  If Barkley is on the board, I would say NO.  But that is the only thing that would stop me from doing it.  I would not mind filling some holes with those picks.  WR, ILB, CB, TE, OT.  We could address all those positions by the end of Round 2.   What do you guys think? 

1 hour ago, Epic said:

So, as AAA alluded to, what is Belechick up to?  Rumors are that they could be trying to move up for a qb.  It is kind of strange that the Pats, who constantly trade out of Round 1, have two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders.   They have lost - Cooks - WR, Solder - LT, Butler - CB, Amendola - WR, and Fleming - OL.   Their QB, a HOF, will be 41 when the season starts in 2018.

Do they move up to get a QB this year?  Are they a possible trade partner with us now?  I checked the value chart and #23 (760), #31 (600) and #42 (480) for our #5 (1700) is pretty close.  If we did a deal, I would hold out for their other 2nd or at least a 3rd.

Would you do it?  If Barkley is on the board, I would say NO.  But that is the only thing that would stop me from doing it.  I would not mind filling some holes with those picks.  WR, ILB, CB, TE, OT.  We could address all those positions by the end of Round 2.   What do you guys think? 

I would not - due to the significant drop off of talent from #5 to #23. I like the idea of trading back with Buffalo and getting #12, #22, and a 2nd. 

Since the 1st round picks carry an extra year of team control, I have a feeling the Patriots will stay at #23, but trade back from #31 for a team looking to draft one of the remaining QBs. The last few picks of the 1st round should carry extra value because of this, and the Patriots seem savvy enough to take advantage of it. 

2 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

Or it may be as simple as they love to trade away guys in the last year of their deal and get value and saw this one as too good to pass up.

I agree though.  The fact that we are even talking about it, makes me super curious.

That's kind of a BB MO. He won't let jis good ballplayers hit FA, He either signs them to a team friendly extension in yr 3 or trades them. Seems like a good strategy to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

That's kind of a BB MO. He won't let jis good ballplayers hit FA, He either signs them to a team friendly extension in yr 3 or trades them. Seems like a good strategy to me.

Spot on.  Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones & Cooks are all examples of selling a guy the year before FA.   Sometimes it does not work out for that one deal but it keeps their org is great cap health.   Brady’s cheap deal is a huge plus and shouldn’t be ignored but this fiscal responsibility allows them to never be in cap hell.    You still need to draft well to be able to replace talent cheaply (or keep finding vet bargains but you need to do that more often).   B.B. has been able to do that well. When he doesn’t there are lulls but by and large the approach keeps them in great cap health. 

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Spot on.  Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones & Cooks are all examples of selling a guy the year before FA.   Sometimes it does not work out for that one deal but it keeps their org is great cap health.   Brady’s cheap deal is a huge plus and shouldn’t be ignored but this fiscal responsibility allows them to never be in cap hell.    You still need to draft well to be able to replace talent cheaply (or keep finding vet bargains but you need to do that more often).   B.B. has been able to do that well. When he doesn’t there are lulls but by and large the approach keeps them in great cap health. 

So, I'm thinkin' BB has Bradys replacement in the works this draft. Brady's got a huge cap hit this year, not so much dead money next.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the Pats move up to "get their guy".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, I'm thinkin' BB has Bradys replacement in the works this draft. Brady's got a huge cap hit this year, not so much dead money next.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the Pats move up to "get their guy".

I actually think they likely stick with Rudolph in the 20's, but this allows them to get a T/D help and then WR in Rd 2, that's where the value is.   

The QB they'd want would have to cost a lot more than 1.23 and 1.31 to get to top 5, unless it's Lamar Jackson in the early teens.

15 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Their top 3 picks would get them close

BUF can beat them easily.  Now if you are saying BUF moves up to 1.2 then maybe.  

The book value doesn’t mean much if there’s a bidding war though.   Or on the flip side if there isn’t a bidding war or sellers in draft spots behind who are also trying to sell.