Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

@Broncofan I live in Austin, TX. I think TX is supposed to be pretty good for buying cars. What country are you in out of interest? 

I appreciate the advice. It's frustrating bc I almost have to be on a timeline since I no longer have a functional car. Just can't let them know that!! I'm really open to most brands and new or used. I've never been a big car person or too needy. Just need AC and for it to get me to where I'm going lol 

10 minutes ago, champ11 said:

@Broncofan I live in Austin, TX. I think TX is supposed to be pretty good for buying cars. What country are you in out of interest? 

I appreciate the advice. It's frustrating bc I almost have to be on a timeline since I no longer have a functional car. Just can't let them know that!! I'm really open to most brands and new or used. I've never been a big car person or too needy. Just need AC and for it to get me to where I'm going lol 

I'm a major car guy, always had a vehicle I liked. 

That said, when you go car shopping, borrow a friend's car that way they don't think you're desperate. I have a friend who's an auto broker in FoCo and is going to get me a sick deal on a 2012ish X5, saving me 25% over Auto Trader and the like. If you still lived in CO I'd give you his number but he can't help you in Texas. 

16 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Land of back bacon and poutine, baby.

I do have family & league-mates in Austin - their recommendation is drive to Dallas and buy a car.  So do your research ahead of time of what car you want, hopefully get an idea on best likely retail price, book a weekend, make sure to drive without a rental car (go with a friend in their car, buy them dinner - like @AnAngryAmerican said, do NOT show any sign you need a car ASAP), and say you are looking (and just tell them you are selling your car privately, to get the best deal - don't tell them you don't have one - work on your poker face there lol, and if anyone goes with you, make sure they don't spill the beans lol).   Now, you need to know the multiple dealers that are available.  And willing to walk away.  

Now, if you are really stuck with time, then you can try Austin and go with the "no thx, I'll drive to DAL" - but if you do that, you have to follow through.   Really, the most effective thing is to walk away, and thank them for their time, and look resigned.   It's only if they are convinced you are walking that you can get a reasonable deal.   That's why knowing what the best retail offer is out there really helps.   Wish I knew what US resources you have, someone else might know.  

Edited by Broncofan

Agreed with @AnAngryAmerican and @Broncofan, take a friend and be willing to walk away.  I am in the market for a pickup to use hauling and both dealerships that I walked away from a couple weekends ago have called and texted me a few times.  Little do they know I just haven't been able to make it back up to the area to see what they can do for me, but playing hard to get if you can swing it definitely works.

I am in belief of being the first to throw out an offer, it can really set the stage for you and the salesperson to dance. Just know that they'll typically meet in the middle of your offer and their demand. Getting there is the tough part that is why some people go through an agent or service. The most important thing is...you have to be able to walk away, I mean you don't really need that specific car and you said it yourself, you are not invested in one brand or model. I loved my negotiations trainings when I was a paralegal.

20 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

You know what my favorite part of the Mayweather-Mcgregor fight was? It kept the price of the real fight of the year, GGG-Canelo, down! 

Going to be a great, entertaining fight Saturday night. Who else is watching?

Can't wait to watch this one.  If people actually watch it could bring boxing back, these two are going to put on a show.

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah that's an incredible price. I can barely get a fare like that from Denver to Vegas. 

Definitely couldn't pass it up, was shocked when I looked down and it said non stop too.  That down period like 2 weeks after Thanksgiving and 3 weeks before Christmas is a great time to fly.  I flew round trip to Florida last year for about $150.  

Next step, line up some free Broncos tickets through work!