Jump to content

Random Thoughts


AnAngryAmerican
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was having some work done on my X5 last week so I borrowed a spare car my parents have, a 2009 Honda Accord coupe. It was very nice, don't get me wrong, but one, I learned I cannot go back to having a car and two, it had no balls. It has the V6, with a decent power output, but being used to the 330hp V8 in my BMW, it felt SOOOOOOO slow. So, again Deuce, I'll bang the drum for you to look at an Ultimate Driving Machine. If you want a car, I would seriously consider a 3 Series. They have the 330 and 325 Xis with all wheel drive so they're great in any kind of weather (I know that's not as big of an issue in Texas as in Colorado, but still). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

 

Hes already played at least once for them and was terrible.

 

The one guy I kinda wish we’d kept is Michael Schofield. He was below average but not terrible at Guard last year and he actually played alright at RT in the Super Bowl run. Certainly better than we’ve seen from Sambrailo, Stephenson and Watson. 

Man that’s telling if he’s struggled with the Best OL coaches (or at least top 3) around who use a heavy ZBS.  That was the only rational reason to acquire him (“wrong fit we can get him fixed to be at least serviceable”).

I also would have preferred Schofield to Stephenson but once he (Stephenson) agreed to the pay cut it was a done deal.   I don’t think Schofield can function at  starter level in a scheme that uses more power concepts esp for run blocking but far far better than Stephenson as a versatile backup.  If Elway had felt safe enough to cut Stephenson at the start of the new NFL year when his option was reduced from 4M to 2M I think Schofield would have stayed.  But with the Min wage salary agreement (added to the 2M bonus) keeping Stephenson was cheaper to keep in August (but actually would have been just over 1M saved and a better backup if we cut bait in March).  Oh well.  

Edited by Broncofan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't believe the NFL suspended Danny Trevathan for only 2 games for that dirty, dirty hit on Davante Adams on ThNF.   It doesn't matter that Adams seems to have escaped a career-threatening injury, those are the hits the league is supposedly trying to eliminate.  How about suspending a guy long enough under the supposed get-tough policy that actually makes a difference?   That's the only way you change players' behavior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I can't believe the NFL suspended Danny Trevathan for only 2 games for that dirty, dirty hit on Davante Adams on ThNF.   It doesn't matter that Adams seems to have escaped a career-threatening injury, those are the hits the league is supposedly trying to eliminate.  How about suspending a guy long enough under the supposed get-tough policy that actually makes a difference?   That's the only way you change players' behavior.

They had to suspend him because of the optics but I don't think it was a dirty play, I think it was an unfortunate play. Danny didn't launch himself up at Adams's head, or down at his knees. He launched himself at his torso. Adams' head came down to meet Danny's head.

was Trev trying to inflict pain? Absolutely. Was he head hunting? His actions prior to and following the hit indicate otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I was having some work done on my X5 last week so I borrowed a spare car my parents have, a 2009 Honda Accord coupe. It was very nice, don't get me wrong, but one, I learned I cannot go back to having a car and two, it had no balls. It has the V6, with a decent power output, but being used to the 330hp V8 in my BMW, it felt SOOOOOOO slow. So, again Deuce, I'll bang the drum for you to look at an Ultimate Driving Machine. If you want a car, I would seriously consider a 3 Series. They have the 330 and 325 Xis with all wheel drive so they're great in any kind of weather (I know that's not as big of an issue in Texas as in Colorado, but still). 

Your X5 is also about 3 times the cost of that Civic.

The more I read about the Turbo Civic the better I like it. It's really a lot of car for the money. If you're after performance look at the 306 hp Type R.

That's a lot of HP in a 3000lb car. The 180+ HP version champs looking at is no slouch either.

Great resale value to boot. Looks to me like a great 1st car.

Oh yeah champ11, buy rather than lease. In 5 years you'll have a $10k vehicle paid for. That's a great down payment on your next car.

Leasing's a bit of a trap. You never get away from payments and never have equity. I had a friend that leased his 1st car when he was 20 and never owned one until he was in his 50's.

He'd tell you leasing is a terrible idea except he's not on this forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a horrible time it is for the NFL.

-You have players and coaches sh***ing on the flag and, thereby, pissingoff half the country (that used to pissoff the whole country, but I digress). 

-The famed "international series" continues to be a joke; after 44-7 last week there was a 20-0 clunker today that had even the announcers making jokes about what an awful game it was.  

-The moving of two teams to Los Angeles has gone over like a lead balloon. Even players are admitting it.

-The team (Dallas) and the player (Dak Prescott) the NFL want as the team/face of the league lost at home today. To the Rams. 

-There is a penalty on seemingly every play, the London game this morning was the rule, not the exception. 

-The o-line and QB play are as bad as they've been in my lifetime (I'm 35) despite the league's best efforts to take defense out of the game. 

-57-14 in a divisional game, between two teams that appeared to be at least roughly evenly matched, is nothing short of embarrassing for the NFL. CSU kept it closer against Ala-freakin'-bama.

-Zeke Elliot can beat up multiple women and Michael Bennett can make up a story to slander police officers and both get away with it. 

Roger Goodell, even though he is complicit in, if not outright responsible for, a lot this, is going to earn his $34,100,000.00 salary. If only it could be the last time the NFL has to ever cut him a check. 

That said, the NFL is like tobacco; even as bad as it is, I can't say no. Just like every Sunday since I was, what, 5?, I watched the morning, afternoon and night games today and will watch the MNF game tomorrow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAA we were lucky to watch football in the 80s and 90s where it seemed liked football was, I think was at its greatest.  I know AKRNA might say it was better in the 70s.  But, I will be the homer who got to watch the Broncos in five Super Bowls during the 80s and 90s.  My angst is at the penalties..let the kids play...just because a DB brushes a WRs arm who is unable to catch a pass doesn't have to be called pass interference because the WR tosses up his arms.  And, this helmet to helmet penalties has to go. I mean, I get it if it were intentional, but in the course of playing football, heads will collide, which is why they players where helmets.  If it were 1995....Atwater would be fined and continuously suspended, and I never saw him intentionally target a guy...he was just bad a$$ trying to separate a guy from the ball, and in the course of hitting a player he was intimidating.  Overall, the game seemed a lot freer and more fun to watch.  

I also miss more intense rivalries.  Which I think is the result of players most likely staying with the team that drafted them, which resulted in teams sticking around to develop those great rivalries.  Nobody on the Broncos understands why we love to hate the Raiders so much, because they all came from different teams.  I mean heck, Jack Del Rio was a coach for the Broncos before he was the HC for the Raiders...back in the day you only did that if you really hated the other team like Shanahan. But, the rivalries aren't what they used to be...the drama of a Bears v. Packers game has less fanfare these days. 

But, as you said...the NFL is a drug. I won't stop watching.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I mean, I get it if it were intentional, but in the course of playing football, heads will collide, which is why they players where helmets.

Helmets make the game more dangerous. Rugby is infinitely safer without pads or helmets in part because they aren't actually protective, they're just additional weapons at players' disposal. Guys are less apt to fly into contact head first without the feeling of invincibiliy that comes with helmets and pads.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Helmets make the game more dangerous. Rugby is infinitely safer without pads or helmets because in reality they aren't protective, they're just additional weapons at players' disposal. Guys are less apt to fly into contact head first without the feeling of invincibiliy that comes with helmets and pad.

Yeah, but that isn't what I am talking about.  When the helmet is used as a weapon, that used to be called spearing back in my day...and it was a penalty.  Making a hit on a player and two head accidentally collide...I don't see how that should be a penalty...could it result in a concussion...sure...but that is the risks of playing the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Yeah, but that isn't what I am talking about.  When the helmet is used as a weapon, that used to be called spearing back in my day...and it was a penalty.  Making a hit on a player and two head accidentally collide...I don't see how that should be a penalty...could it result in a concussion...sure...but that is the risks of playing the game. 

I get you but my point still applies. Without helmets, you would get a significant reduction in those incidental collisions too. Helmets aren't protective resources, they're WMDs. Part of this is physical, most of it psychological.

Edited by BroncoBruin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

AAA we were lucky to watch football in the 80s and 90s where it seemed liked football was, I think was at its greatest.  I know AKRNA might say it was better in the 70s.  But, I will be the homer who got to watch the Broncos in five Super Bowls during the 80s and 90s.  My angst is at the penalties..let the kids play...just because a DB brushes a WRs arm who is unable to catch a pass doesn't have to be called pass interference because the WR tosses up his arms.  And, this helmet to helmet penalties has to go. I mean, I get it if it were intentional, but in the course of playing football, heads will collide, which is why they players where helmets.  If it were 1995....Atwater would be fined and continuously suspended, and I never saw him intentionally target a guy...he was just bad a$$ trying to separate a guy from the ball, and in the course of hitting a player he was intimidating.  Overall, the game seemed a lot freer and more fun to watch.  

I also miss more intense rivalries.  Which I think is the result of players most likely staying with the team that drafted them, which resulted in teams sticking around to develop those great rivalries.  Nobody on the Broncos understands why we love to hate the Raiders so much, because they all came from different teams.  I mean heck, Jack Del Rio was a coach for the Broncos before he was the HC for the Raiders...back in the day you only did that if you really hated the other team like Shanahan. But, the rivalries aren't what they used to be...the drama of a Bears v. Packers game has less fanfare these days. 

But, as you said...the NFL is a drug. I won't stop watching.  

Pretty accurate post. Lots less referee involvement and more physicality up through the early 80's.

Absolute wars in the trenches and CB/WR battles were pretty brutal. 

One of the two most important times in Broncos history was in the 70's however. Between Ralston, then Miller we became a relevant franchise. Our 1st SB appearance was something special considering what a joke we'd been for over a decade.

 Our 1st SB win was the 2nd most important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Appreciate all the advice y'all gave on the car!! Definitely a new experience lol so I appreciate all the input. Ended up getting the VW Golf Wolfsburg and I'm really excited. Felt like I couldn't really go wrong between the Golf and the Civic and went w/ the Golf because the inside of the Civic was a little too much tech for me to feel comfortable with. It's really great having a car that actually has decent air conditioning and an aux chord lol 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2017 at 9:21 AM, champ11 said:

Appreciate all the advice y'all gave on the car!! Definitely a new experience lol so I appreciate all the input. Ended up getting the VW Golf Wolfsburg and I'm really excited. Felt like I couldn't really go wrong between the Golf and the Civic and went w/ the Golf because the inside of the Civic was a little too much tech for me to feel comfortable with. It's really great having a car that actually has decent air conditioning and an aux chord lol 

You'll like the Golf, can't ever go wrong with German engineering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...