Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

It’s all about Justin Fields when it comes to the Bears this season. Can he make a Josh Allen-like jump in his third season? The odds are firmly against it, but anything is possible. They have arguably the best linebacker duo in the league now defensively, but not much beyond that either up front or in coverage. The big addition offensively is WR DJ Moore, but how often can Fields connect with him?

The matchup this Sunday against the Packers should be an interesting measuring stick for both teams. My guess is that the Bears will fired up at home against their oldest division rival and eager to change the rivalry narrative in the post-Aaron Rodgers era. The Packers have not started well for the last two seasons under Matt LaFleur, getting blown out by the Vikings and Saints the last two seasons in Week One. The Bears had their biggest upset Week One last season, beating the 49ers 19-10 at Soldier Field in the pouring rain.

Four of the Bears’ first five games could go either way, so it will be interesting to see what their record will be when the Vikings come to town Week 6. They will be without their best pass protector in left guard Teven Jenkins for at least four weeks as they placed him on injured reserve with two calf strains. Beyond Jenkins, the Bears’ offensive line has been banged up too and that could affect how the team fares through the first part of the season. If the Bears struggle through the early part of the season, their season could go south in a hurry, riding that negative momentum.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/9/5/23857827/nfc-north-schedule-insights?fbclid=IwAR1-j_vf3hrqB55-Q6OPhfru9a40g1yXgP3HGlIk6XuoSLuVWdUZ7FqlDXg

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Their offense looks very run oriented. I don't think they need a huge jump from Fields to be successful this season.

I do think they need a huge jump from him.  They don't trade for DJ Moore to be a run-oriented offense...especially with that stable of RBs, which are rather unimpressive. 

• Like 2

If Fields doesn't look like a sure fire long term QB1, this is a lost season for the Bears. The defense outside of their LBs looks bad again, especially the DL, and the OL is still very much a work in progress. Certainly not something they will be able to bank on for the run game as a strength. It's Fields taking a leap, or full tank to get a new QB. Poles didn't draft Fields, and has acquired assets to be able to move up if they are bad this year. (their own first, Carolina first, plus an extra 4th)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I do think they need a huge jump from him.  They don't trade for DJ Moore to be a run-oriented offense...especially with that stable of RBs, which are rather unimpressive. 

They also brought in Mercedes Lewis who is still a great blocking TE, drafted Darnell Wright in the 1st, who at least was good but not great at run blocking in college and two power backs. 

DJ Moore should hopefully bring some balance to the offense, but that looks like a run first team to me. 

It would be wise to build the offense around the strengths of their players, especially the QB. Fields is a great runner and it wouldn't make much sense to take that away from him.

After Justin Fields took an NFL-high 55 sacks in 2022, the Bears made it an offseason priority to put Fields in a better position to succeed. They brought in a new No. 1 wide receiver in DJ Moore. They spent their first-round pick on offensive tackle Darnell Wright. They said another year in the offense would get Fields more comfortable with reading the pass rush and getting rid of the ball quickly.

None of it has worked.

In fact, Fields is actually on pace to take more sacks this year than he took last year. Through two games Fields has been sacked 10 times, which would put him on pace to get sacked an NFL-record 85 times in a 17-game season. Not that the odds are great of Fields playing 17 games if he keeps taking sacks like this.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/after-nfl-high-55-sacks-in-2022-justin-fields-is-no-better-in-2023

I never liked Fields as a prospect. But he's absolutely had any chance of success ruined for him. While Kwesi has been getting a lot of heat, Poles has been worse.  

Caleb Williams should take note and make a play to not be drafted by a bottom feeder. If I were his agent, I'd make it very clear to the Bears and Cardinals that he'd go back to college before playing for either of them.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I never liked Fields as a prospect. But he's absolutely had any chance of success ruined for him. While Kwesi has been getting a lot of heat, Poles has been worse.  

Caleb Williams should take note and make a play to not be drafted by a bottom feeder. If I were his agent, I'd make it very clear to the Bears and Cardinals that he'd go back to college before playing for either of them.  

It should be noted that Poles did not draft Fields...his predecessor did.  Otherwise, though, I have not been impressed by Poles either.  I expected better. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It should be noted that Poles did not draft Fields...his predecessor did.  Otherwise, though, I have not been impressed by Poles either.  I expected better. 

Oh yeah, I know, but coming in, he should have tried to put him in the best position to succeed. He's a high draft pick with impressive physical traits. At least try to see what he's really got instead of having him running for his life.

That said, the pick of Eberflus as head coach was also a horrendous move.