What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

53 minutes ago, coors said:

What's everyone's go to for hotel reservations?

I need a hotel in downtown Chicago for the night of August 18th. Best I can find is like $185 for the night. Little out of my range. 

Priceline express deals.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

How so? I’ve never looked into them myself, I just do hostels when traveling by myself after someone (might even have been you) suggested them a few years back. 

it turns really nice  neighborhoods to commercial business centers of tourism. AirBNB owners will pay over market for a place and take a liveable  2-4 bedroom house and turn it into a barely liveable almost illegal  4-8 bedroom "hotel". It drastically dries up the rooms and apartments available for long term rent, driving up the demand vs availability which in turn drives up the rent prices by a lot. 

If you google Airbnb gentrification or rent prices, youll see tons of articles come up with statistic proving it has a massive negative impact on cities and neighborhoods. 

@iPwn yeah hostel are cool for sure and a lot of fun/can be a nice experience . i think a ton of my posts on here are out of hostels when i was a freebird when i was younger.  There is a company who operates in America called Hostel International and they have some really cool hostels and always clean with a good staff on hand. I like the hostels tho, its cool , you can meet people instantly, something kinda neat and exciting about exploring American cities with people who know nothing about America or Americans (you get a neat perspective of America) . 

2 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

it turns really nice  neighborhoods to commercial business centers of tourism. AirBNB owners will pay over market for a place and take a liveable  2-4 bedroom house and turn it into a barely liveable almost illegal  4-8 bedroom "hotel". It drastically dries up the rooms and apartments available for long term rent, driving up the demand vs availability which in turn drives up the rent prices by a lot. 

If you google Airbnb gentrification or rent prices, youll see tons of articles come up with statistic proving it has a massive negative impact on cities and neighborhoods. 

That honestly sounds awful. I always kinda viewed it as the classic “our kid moved out, now we have an extra room, let’s rent it out for something.” I was struggling to figure out how that could be a bad thing, though I guess I should have expected that people were abusing the system.

Y

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

That honestly sounds awful. I always kinda viewed it as the classic “our kid moved out, now we have an extra room, let’s rent it out for something.” I was struggling to figure out how that could be a bad thing, though I guess I should have expected that people were abusing the system.

Same , totally thought it was that to. But its like 90% or something of AirBNBs are owned by vacant landlord(meaning the land lord lives off site) and they owned multiple AirBNBs. And the houses are converted to a way that you would want to stay there for a day or two but never want to live there, like 60 SQ feet rooms. 

Also what we are seeing in Portland, is business turn into tourist business around the AirBNB's neighborhoods,  like what were once locally owned restaurants and grocery stores and coffee shops and record stores are now tourist business selling Portland souviners ,  renting bikes, cars, scooters, more commercial restaurants and tacky commercial bars. 

8 minutes ago, iPwn said:

A lot of it is people having an extra room, a place to go during big events, or it's a vacation house that they make some money off of while they're not living there. Once investors started seeing they could profit big, you know they're going to jump on it. 

If you're worried about those things, look at eh description. It's pretty east to tell if it's a home owner trying to make a little extra cash, or somebody trying exploit the system.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:20 AM, Bednarik60 said:

LOL nice... So 2x 3 hour trips back to the parents house for your stuff lol? 

Did you drunk-brown out sign up for a new room? "imza gguna leev heer 4vr!" 

indoctrinated a buddy to take half my stuff for me so just got it all moved back in 1 trip, but broke a ton of stuff lol. 

lol nah NEEEVVVER browned out, im unable to be influenced by ANNNNY substance always in FULLL control. But yeah probably. I faintly remember re-upping my place after realizing how hot my neighbors were even though they despise me and the other fellows that lived there. 

3 hours ago, coors said:

What's everyone's go to for hotel reservations?

I need a hotel in downtown Chicago for the night of August 18th. Best I can find is like $185 for the night. Little out of my range. 

Stay at Pwn's apartment. That's what I do.