What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd completely agree with you.

I also know my family experience was the stereotypical Irish one where it just never got mushy at all. When I went off to college, it took like 10 minutes to get my stuff, drop it off, and my roommate looked at me like I was nuts. Or when I was at a friend's house in HS and we'd leave and he'd say "love you mom bye" I'd always do a double take because we never did that stuff.

I've got a great relationship with both parents and my whole immediately family, just a really reserved style.

Very true, some cultures/families are just more reserved with such displays of affection. 

My dad was very much like that.  I’ve seen him cry once in 35 years and it lasted for 90 second when my grandfather passed. I get an awkward hug when I see him every few months. I wanted to make sure my son, and to a lesser extent stepson, had a different experience.

People and families are just different, no right or wrong.

16 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I ordered a 6-piece set of Wusthof Gourmet knives from Amazon, but instead the seller sent me a 4-piece set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives (3x the price).. xD

Today is a good day

Yeah but you have two less knives.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

I sort of agree but it's just a different type of family culture which I don't take issue with. My family doesn't act that way but I've seen it in good families.

I'm uncomfortable with it, but my wife isn't.  It leaves my son confused haha.

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For you guys who think it’s gross, do you guys have kids? Just trying to establish who has what opinions.

I think kissing someone on the lips you aren't sexually attracted to is weird. But I understand that some people don't find it weird and I am completely okay with that. Celebrate on your own terms. My opinions are not some universal law.

Personally, I vary my greetings. For all girls, I do the hug and kiss on the cheek. For male family members, I will either do a hug or a hug and kiss on the cheek depending on my relationship with them. For male friends, I usually will dap them up, which you could call the half hug.

There is nothing “gross” about two people who care a lot about each other showing affection by touching lips together. The only thing that can categorically be gross about it is the transfer of bacteria, but I’d presume an 11 year old of a multimillionaire set of parents has some decent hygiene. This idea that touching lips to lips is somehow a gesture that holds some form of romanticism or other trait that would make doing so with a child gross is purely in your head.

Your subset of culture may have conditioned you to believe this was the case, but that’s on you and your parents. Take it up with them.

• Like 3

I’m anxiously awaiting the day the fist bump replaces the hand shake. Some people got the brilliant idea to eliminate all that disgusting Palm-to-palm contact and just do that instead. But for some reason I still gotta do the handshake and hope they’re not one of those lunatics who don’t wash their hands

And I love the people who say stupid stuff like they can tell everything they need to know about a man by their handshake. Like every con artist and sociopath that ever lived didn’t have the handshake down

Edited by DontTazeMeBro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

And I love the people who say stupid stuff like they can tell everything they need to know about a man by their handshake. Like every con artist and sociopath that ever lived didn’t have the handshake down

I’ve never understood what they’re trying to pretend to understand. I mean maybe you can tell someone is uncomfortable or timid by the lack of grip strength used or by perspiration, but beyond that, what is there to get? That the person has mastered a basic greeting?

Also, I’d be down for the fist bump replacing the handshake if for no other reason than I think a certain politician would provide some serious lulz with how they try to convert their power move handshake to a fist bump.

16 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I’ve never understood what they’re trying to pretend to understand. I mean maybe you can tell someone is uncomfortable or timid by the lack of grip strength used or by perspiration, but beyond that, what is there to get? That the person has mastered a basic greeting?

Also, I’d be down for the fist bump replacing the handshake if for no other reason than I think a certain politician would provide some serious lulz with how they try to convert their power move handshake to a fist bump.

You can most definitely tell a lot about a guy from a handshake.

For example, if someone were to grab my hand and yank it around in an absurd fashion, say, like this...

giphy.gif 

.... I’d immediately think they were a buffoon. I mean, they can’t even master s basic greeting.

I used to work with this dude who shook hands like that.  Every. Damned. Time.  On top of that, he’d squeeze as hard as he could too. The guy was (as my life experience indicated) a buffoon, so I usually let it slide.  One day I may not have been in a particularly good mood and he came up and shook my hand and made sure to put a little oomph into it and finally I think he got the hint. God that handshake pissed me off....

• Like 2

That’s the *power move* I was referring to. It’s a “dominating handshake” that’s supposed to make it seem like that person is in control. I’ve had it done to me and l feels like the person is trying to project a sense of power to you that they can’t just do by being who they are. Left foot forward always with those people.

I want to see someone try to assert dominance through a fist bump though.