Phoenix trades Knight/Chriss to Houston for Anderson/Melton

DalCowboyzRule

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

a lot of smart ppl i know that i trust tell me melton is good. i believe i watched the intro to one of his highlight videos briefly past the part about increasing my vertical w/ some kind of online tutorials and can also confirm he can do some good things. i like it for PHX. ryno really nice between ayton + josh jackson in the starting lineup. unless they wanna put bender there or something. is bender good? i've seen some downtobuck videos and even on there he looks really awkward and i assumed he was gonna bust, so i never took the stats seriously when he was putting them up late in the season. 

okobo/melton gonna battle for starting 1? 

I doubt JJ starts. I’m 99% sure there will be another move coming, but Woj said Ryno is starting so it looks like

Harrison, Booker, Ariza, Ryno, Ayton

Okobo or Melton, Bridges, Jackson, Warren, Chandler or Holmes maybe?

Reed, Daniels and Bender on the outside looking in? Idk

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

well so much for that whole "Ryan Anderson is untradeable" thing.

i think the deal makes sense for both sides. Melton has a lot of potential at an area of need for the Suns. Chriss/Knight basically make what Anderson makes, so its not costing them money. Anderson will provide much needed locker room vet presence and can stretch the floor for them. Rockets unload Anderson, and I think this season save a few million in Luxury taxes. Knight will be easier to trade next year than Anderson would have been. Chriss can have his chance to see what he's got and the rockets can always decline his option if they need to. Also the rockets could elect to stretch waive knight, which would be a lot cheaper than stretch waiving Anderson. They could almost get out of the tax all together doing that. 

from a basketball standpoint, Knight had potential before his latest injury. It wouldnt be horrible to keep him as our 4th guard

Jeez. Everyone said you wouldn’t move Anderson without getting salary in return, you got a ton of salary in return AND gave up a good asset. JUST like everyone said.

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

its a win. the fact the rockets got rid of anderson's contract  without giving up a 1st rounder (which you guys thought they would have to give up) makes this trade worth it alone. Chriss has potential and Knight is better than MCW. Not really saying much.  If Melton gets a jump shot he can be a real good one and the suns might win this trade in the long haul.  

Weren’t you guys claiming Melton was like a top 7-10 player in this draft?

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

its a win. the fact the rockets got rid of anderson's contract  without giving up a 1st rounder (which you guys thought they would have to give up) makes this trade worth it alone. Chriss has potential and Knight is better than MCW. Not really saying much.  If Melton gets a jump shot he can be a real good one and the suns might win this trade in the long haul.  

We were talking about moving Anderson in the context of freeing up cap space. This was a move to lower the tax dollars for your owner. 

It's kind of a wash of a trade tbh. I doubt the 46th pick realistically becomes any good, Chriss is one of the worst NBA players I've seen in recent years, and Knight and Anderson are washed. Maybe Knight bounces back and gives y'all some okay minutes, but I haven't seen him hoop in like 3 years. What an odd career for this dude. 

Suns really gunning for 28 wins 

11 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

well so much for that whole "Ryan Anderson is untradeable" thing.

He was untradeable in the context of Houston trading him for cap space or for a useful player. You traded him for another terrible contract.  You are now paying one of the worst players in the NBA coming off a torn ACL $15 million a season.  It saved Houston some money, but this is nothing like the trades any of you Houston fans were throwing out.  Don't sit behind this trade and act like you were right.

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

With the news that Anderson dropped his guarantee to $15.6MM, is the trade not essentially Chriss for Melton?

For the suns, yes. For the rockets no for a couple reasons

1. He wasn’t agreeing to a pay cut with us, so we save money 

2. Knight has much more potential as a 4th Guard in our system than Anderson did in his current role. 

I love how everyone was saying “no one will take on Ryan Anderson unless you take on a worse deal or give up 1st”

and now it’s “you can’t claim to be right because Knight sucks”

maybe he does but he sucks at 5 million less. 

9 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

So...they trade one bad contract for another slightly less bad contract, and you're praising Morey for that?  I guess whatever floats your boat.  I don't really see any logic in this deal other than one man's trash is another man's treasure.  Right now, I see more upside on Phoenix's side than Houston's, but on paper seems better for Houston.  Phoenix gets a chance to rehab Anderson's value, and maybe deal him for a minor asset next offseason.  Chriss is garbage, and quite honestly I'm not sure he plays over Nene.  They're essentially paying Brandon Knight $15M/year to play the 12 MPG that CP3 doesn't.  I wouldn't be cheering this deal for either team tbh.

Archived