Week 1 GDT Thread - Chicago (0-0) @ Green Bay (0-0)

Leader

I had a dream last night that we were losing 33-31 to Detroit today with a minute or so left and they had the ball but had a freak fumble and we were driving down and got to the 27 and then the dream faded and didn't finish

I *think* that means we will beat the Bears, though.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I had a dream last night that we were losing 33-31 to Detroit today with a minute or so left and they had the ball but had a freak fumble and we were driving down and got to the 27 and then the dream faded and didn't finish

I *think* that means we will beat the Bears, though.

Regardless.

We certainly beat the Lions with a 42yd FG.

5 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think it is hard to judge how our offense based on past years due to all the changes they have made.

To say that Fangio has frustrated Rodgers in the past, while true, doesn't account for McCarthy and Philbin redoing it this year, which I really suspect was done with the intent of dealing with the Vikings and as a result the Bears as well.

The last time that Philbin was here, the offense was electric, and Rodgers was stopped very rarely in the regular season.

I suspect that the offense is going to bring the ball out much more quickly this year, and that will stress the Bears defensive backs.  Their linebackers will end up stressed in coverage, and their front 7 will be reduced to a front 5 as Fangio is trying to figure out how to deal with the size of Lewis and Graham in the middle of the field, the threat of Adams on the outside, the occasional use of Valdez Scantling to stretch the field, and the ability to go from power running to 5 wide in the same set.

Bold prediction- sometime in the first half Rodgers hits Valdez Scantling for the deep score as he gets behind the corner left on an island because the safeties are occupied defending the middle.

On top of that, We have the corners to match up well the Bears receivers, so I expect that the Bears will be reduced to a one dimensional running attack.

Am I over confident.  Maybe.  But at least I am not comparing this to the 2012 opener when we were playing a team that was 13-3 the year before and went on to the NFC championship.  That is not this years Bears.

I like all of that, especially the part about Rodgers hitting Valdez-Scantling for a deep score. It could happen. I think at least him and possibly J'Mon Moore could see significant action. They will probably need at least one of the rookies later in the season, so they need real game experience as soon as possible. I could easily picture the Bears running the ball a lot and having some success doing it, trying to keep the Packer offense off the field. But I will settle for that as long as the Packer defense can prevent big plays. 

38 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How could you possibly know this? There's less than 100 people in the world who would know this. You're not one of them ?

Pretty simple really... understanding humans. Who did McCarthy bring in? A guy that was originally a part of the system before in Philbin. Well there be changes? Sure... but again it’s like operational type stuff. The play book will stay the same for the most part. Maybe Graham changes the formations they “prefer” in the play book, but it’s still McCarthy and Philbin. Nothing is going to change.

Also this offense is heavy on Rodgers. Anyone think the offense is going to start thru Williams/Jones? Anyone think Rodgers isn’t going to continue to hold onto the ball longer for the bigger play?

Im just saying... everyone shouldn’t set their hopes too high for a new Look offense. Football coachs do what they know and when you get to a certain age you’re set in your ways. McCarthy doesn’t fit the “progressive” type. And honestly kudos to him because he has been crazy successful doing it his way... if I was him I wouldn’t change anything either.

Fact of the matter is change comes from coaching changes. The defense IS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT. Offense not so much... and if it had changed you’d see in practice. Enough writers cover the team and enough practices are open to the public that “new scheme” would need to be worked on in those periods if they wanted to be on any sort of the same page come week 1.

13 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Wasn't that the knock on him? I thought that's all I heard last year. But to be fair I didn't really pay attention to him in coverage that much so I could be wrong.

Any line Backer who doesn't run 4.19 40 sucks in coverage on this website.

Archived