Your 2018 Minnesota Vikings (Initial 53)

SemperFeist

Vikings Practice squad of 10:

Jeff Badet WR
Chad Beebe WR
Reshard Cliett LB
Curtis Cothran DT
Garret Dooley LB
Cornelius Edison C
Colby Gossett G
Storm Norton OT
Jack Tocho S
Cole Hikutini TE

Thank goodness Beebe made it, thought he might not clear waivers.  Also love the Cole Hikutini signing, liked him out of college, tall pass catching TE I assume he takes Price's spot at TE potentially if not this year.

Maybe it is just me but in no way do you cut Ifeadi Odenigbo and keep these guys below.  I would have easily got rid of these three over Odenigbo who was quickly picked up and signed to the Cleveland Browns roster.

Johnny Stanton FB
Horace Richardson CB
Craig James CB

Note

Steven Richardson DT is on the Chargers Practice squad

Nate Wozniak is on the Saints practice squad as a OT

JC Hassenauer C is on the Falcons practice squad

John Crockett RB is on the Chiefs practice squad 

It is freaking awesome Hassenauer got on a practice squad.  Basically never started at Alabama unless there was an injury.  Was like the #1 rated center coming out of high school.  Never really played great at Bama, yet going through all that still makes the NFL and is on a teams practice squad.  Pretty great for him a local kid.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe it is just me but in no way do you cut Ifeadi Odenigbo and keep these guys below.  I would have easily got rid of these three over Odenigbo who was quickly picked up and signed to the Cleveland Browns roster.

Johnny Stanton FB
Horace Richardson CB
Craig James CB

None of those guys were "kept", they were waived injured and do not appear on the 53 man roster. 

The last few cuts probably came down to Odenigbo vs: 

• Roc Thomas. They don't really need a 5th RB but this is a way of redshirting him safe from waivers and sets him up for a rotational role next year once Murray moves on. Similar approach to what they did with Bower last year: kept as a 5th DE, only played 10 snaps and now will be part of a 4-DE rotation in year two.
  • Kearse. They might not need a 5th safety but if they're using more 3-safety looks he could be useful as depth, plus he's a solid special teams gunner
  • Parry. I didn't think they really needed a backup NT but Jaleel Johnson didn't play much at NT after the first preseason game and it looks like they don't trust him in that role even as a rotational backup

Other bubble players probably didn't affect the roster math: Downs and Conklin likely barely beat out their competition but there was always going to be a 5th LB and 3rd TE, similarly Sherels and Hill were guaranteed to make it once Newman retired, and Holmes was never going to be cut after putting up 12 QB pressures playing a new position as a top 100 pick rookie. 

Given the actual choice, I would've been tempted to keep Odenigbo and waive Parry, as I think they could find a street free agent of that quality to play NT if Linval had to miss some extended time. But I don't think Odenigbo was going to play DE -- even with Robison cut, he was the 5th best edge rusher on the team -- so his only path to playing time would be rotationally at 3-tech, where they already have Jaleel Johnson for early downs and Holmes for 3rd down passing situations. 

Sorry to see him go but it came down to a numbers game -- sign of how deep the roster is at DL. 

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Vikings Practice squad of 10:

Jeff Badet WR
Chad Beebe WR
Reshard Cliett LB
Curtis Cothran DT
Garret Dooley LB
Cornelius Edison C
Colby Gossett G
Storm Norton OT
Jack Tocho S
Cole Hikutini TE

Thank goodness Beebe made it, thought he might not clear waivers.  Also love the Cole Hikutini signing, liked him out of college, tall pass catching TE I assume he takes Price's spot at TE potentially if not this year.

Johnny Stanton FB
Horace Richardson CB
Craig James CB

We didn't keep them though. 

Just now, Krauser said:

None of those guys were "kept", they were waived injured and do not appear on the 53 man roster. 

The last few cuts probably came down to Odenigbo vs: 

• Roc Thomas. They don't really need a 5th RB but this is a way of redshirting him safe from waivers and sets him up for a rotational role next year once Murray moves on. Similar approach to what they did with Bower last year: kept as a 5th DE, only played 10 snaps and now will be part of a 4-DE rotation in year two.
  • Kearse. They might not need a 5th safety but if they're using more 3-safety looks he could be useful as depth, plus he's a solid special teams gunner
  • Parry. I didn't think they really needed a backup NT but Jaleel Johnson didn't play much at NT after the first preseason game and it looks like they don't trust him in that role even as a rotational backup

Other bubble players either probably didn't affect the roster math: Downs and Conklin probably barely beat out their competition but there was always going to be a 5th LB and 3rd LB, similarly Sherels and Hill were guaranteed to make it once Newman retired, and Holmes was never going to be cut after putting up 12 QB pressures playing a new position as a top 100 pick rookie. 

Given the actual choice, I would've been tempted to keep Odenigbo and waive Parry, as I think they could find a street free agent of that quality to play NT if Linval had to miss some extended time. But I don't think Odenigbo was going to play DE -- even with Robison cut, he was the 5th best edge rusher on the team -- so his only path to playing time would be rotationally at 3-tech, where they already have Jaleel Johnson for early downs and Holmes for 3rd down passing situations. 

Sorry to see him go but it came down to a numbers game -- sign of how deep the roster is at DL. 

Well thank goodness because the two current rosters on ESPN and NFL.com had those guys in them today.  I saw others players who made the roster and did not see guys who were cut so I assumed that was up to date.  If it did indeed come down to Thomas, Kearse or Parry I would have probably let go of Thomas for Odenigbo but I am fine with keeping Thomas because sadly Cook will probably get injured this year.

Is surprising they cut and put Edison on the PS who has played decent I thought in the preseason.  Then give Jones the roster spot instead as backup C.

8 minutes ago, boombap said:

We didn't keep them though. 

https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/

This is the current roster from the Vikings site.  All up to date, Cole on the practice squad, yet still Richardson, Stanton and James on the roster.  James is a good special teams guy, as for a backup FB not sure that is needed and have not noticed him a ton of special teams.  Not to mention Trey Matthews also....curious maybe they are just wrong on the site.

I guess they on the Vikings website are simply not up to date.  

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/9/1/17809724/minnesota-vikings-53-man-roster-final-nfl-cuts

This is the real one as of right now I believe, so yeah what I said was wrong then.  

And I guess really one cannot cut Parry as a legit backup NT/DT and keep Odenigbo.  And he is not better than Bower or Weatherly.  Is surprising the Zylstra thing, he must have looked great in camp because Beebe far out played him on the field.  Not sure what they paid to get him in here though.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Is surprising they cut and put Edison on the PS who has played decent I thought in the preseason.  Then give Jones the roster spot instead as backup C.

Edison had trouble calling protections. The Bobby Wagner sack through the A gap in the Seahawks game was probably on him. He did well pass blocking but he was a mess whenever he had to block on the move for runs or screens. 

Edison's only way of making the roster would've been to win the starting job, but he lost that when they traded for Jones. 

There's no way they were going to keep Edison on the roster as a backup C. They need 2 OL active on game days who can handle center duties if needed, but the backup has to have some positional flexibility, otherwise you have a game-day active player just sitting there in case of injury to one particular player. That's why they tried Isidora at C in Tennessee and he did well enough that they'll use him as the backup IOL on game days at least until Elflein is healthy and Jones can be the backup C while starting at LG (much as Berger and Easton were backup C last year while starting at guard). 

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/

This is the current roster from the Vikings site.  All up to date, Cole on the practice squad, yet still Richardson, Stanton and James on the roster.  James is a good special teams guy, as for a backup FB not sure that is needed and have not noticed him a ton of special teams.  Not to mention Trey Matthews also....curious maybe they are just wrong on the site.

I guess they on the Vikings website are simply not up to date.  

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/9/1/17809724/minnesota-vikings-53-man-roster-final-nfl-cuts

This is the real one as of right now I believe, so yeah what I said was wrong then.  

We knew ;)

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Edison had trouble calling protections. The Bobby Wagner sack through the A gap in the Seahawks game was probably on him. He did well pass blocking but he was a mess whenever he had to block on the move for runs or screens. 

Edison's only way of making the roster would've been to win the starting job, but he lost that when they traded for Jones. 

There's no way they were going to keep Edison on the roster as a backup C. They need 2 OL active on game days who can handle center duties if needed, but the backup has to have some positional flexibility, otherwise you have a game-day active player just sitting there in case of injury to one particular player. That's why they tried Isidora at C in Tennessee and he did well enough that they'll use him as the backup IOL on game days at least until Elflein is healthy and Jones can be the backup C while starting at LG (much as Berger and Easton were backup C last year while starting at guard). 

Brett Jones does have playing experience, started 13 games for the Giants last year.  Never really watched him specifically as a player ever on the Giants.  Not to mention especially in college because I do not watch Canadian college football.  So sure I guess he must be a good center, I did not know him at all though... again Canada.  And I must be honest I did not watch the Tennessee game as the last preseason game at all, college football is on and takes priority to me then a last preseason game...

Archived