Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

8 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Offer free rides to Winterfell?

Pretty sure they're going to burn all the bodies, so what proof? I don't know...that seems super weird that only like 1,000 people left in the world are going to know it was real and everyone else will probably just think they're crazy.

This was an enemy the whole continent needed to witness on some level, not just in stories from those weird northerners.

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Is the North going to be able to convince anybody they actually beat the White Walkers and the army of the dead? Like is everyone else just supposed to believe them and that the whole thing was real?

Does anyone need to believe them? They didnt do it for recognition.

14 hours ago, pwny said:

They said they knew for four years that Arya was the one to do it.

But I’m sure that’s just coincidence that it lines up when GRRM told them the plot, and he really had no input into it and they’re just spitting on his stories. Because that makes sense. 

I can't believe people are actually defending this piss poor writing. "well they knew for 4 years what they were going to do" AND?!?!?!?! You build up one plot point for 6 years from the books themselves making it irrefutable along the way just to go "SURPRISE! We're gonna ignore the entire thing for shock value!" I don't care if they had it planned for years (which I don't credit them with having kept it a secret that long considering HBO is notorious for their GOT leaks) they just contradicted everything since season 2 just because they wanted to surprise the audience. Hollywood is reknowned for doing this, especially when it has been largely speculated that Martin has even lost interest in even finishing this story going on to finish dozens of other projects while just leaving this one to Dumb and Dumber. 

As for the plot since you brought it up, Melisandre even goes to Dany to convince her of who Jon is, then does a 180 this episode and goes "Nope it was Arya all along". It is only the Prince that was Promise / Azor Ahai that can vanquish the darkness coming for everyone. There are requirements in the books and in the show that have to be met and Arya fit none of them. Only Jon and Dany did, one requirement in particular is sacrificing a great love in order to bring forth Lightbringer which could mean a few things such as the dragons themselves. But Arya has sacrificed nothing, she was always the selfish one, the lone wolf and even took pride in it, and the only thing she ever gave up even remotely to being selfless was sending Nymeria away so she wouldn't be killed. I mean she was more then willing to take revenge on those who killed her family and friends. But has shown no moment in the show or books like Dany has sacrificing alot she has loved and Jon is even more selfless then her with his sacrifices. Theres also that little detail about them having to be a Prince or Princess. Arya again is neither considering the Starks relinquished their rights as Kings to bend the knee to the Conqueror. Starks are also known to have never joined in marraige with house Targaryan until Lyanna and Rhaegar.

The show writers could have also had Captain America beam down from the USS Enterprise and impale the Night King with Anakin's light saber for shock value as well. That does not necessarily mean its a good story when it completely deviates from the original and the setup of only one particular person able to finish off the Great Other and not just anyone with some Valaryian steel.

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I am holding out hope that there is something more to the Night's King aspect.  Like a video game boss that you beat just to find out it has a second form.  

Now this would be interesting. Such as taking a different host such as Arya.

17 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I've come to terms with the fact that the moment the show passed the books, they were going to be different versions with ultimately the same ending. I agree that who kills the Night King will be far different in the books... if we ever get them.

But from a show perspective, it was an epic moment well done, and sometimes you gotta appreciate the differences between the two interpretations. 

If they had never brought up the prophecy in the show I would be pissed but not nearly as much as I am now. Actually I would have been semi alright with it if there was no prophecy in the show.

Edited by Calvert28

40 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Hottest Reddit topic about ASOIAF going.

The show has finally become the fairytale it tried to subvert

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bipfrd/spoilers_extended_the_show_has_finally_become_the/

Valid points.

I will say, I spent some time today reading articles, and quite a number of them were attempting to portray those who disagree that it should have been Arya killing the Night King (instead of Jon) as being misogynistic and how her character arc has led to this moment and it made me realize...

It's not that those reviewers and the general public is 'wrong', it's that D&D did a poor job of continuing GRRM's story and explaining the significance of Jon's lineage.

I still view the show and books as separate, but it just made me realize that the storytelling from what GRRM intended seems to have gone sideways in favor of 'what can make the biggest impact'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Unless there is some MAJOR twist (like Bran being the real bad guy, or the NK not actually being dead), the entire 3ER story has been a complete waste of time. Both the NK and Bran/3ER did absolutely nothing. Hiding some sort of twist is the only reason it would make sense to minimize Bran and the NK's death in the way they did. 

He did put the nail in the coffin for Littlefinger, although that was a really lame way to off the best player of the game

Edited by amac
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Is the North going to be able to convince anybody they actually beat the White Walkers and the army of the dead? Like is everyone else just supposed to believe them and that the whole thing was real?

"Hey, y'all remember that giant wall? There's a big *** hole in it now and the entirety of House Umber and House Mormont don't exist. Do you think we just up and did that to them?

39 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Pretty sure they're going to burn all the bodies, so what proof? I don't know...that seems super weird that only like 1,000 people left in the world are going to know it was real and everyone else will probably just think they're crazy.

This was an enemy the whole continent needed to witness on some level, not just in stories from those weird northerners.

Have them travel to the House of Umber or The Wall.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

"Hey, y'all remember that giant wall? There's a big *** hole in it now and the entirety of House Umber and House Mormont don't exist. Do you think we just up and did that to them?

Have them travel to the House of Umber or The Wall.

Both things that Dany could have easily done.

Question......rewatching.

Aften Jon Snow and the NK's dragons have the aerial fight - the NK is knocked off his dragon while Jon Snow's dragon crashes to earth and drops him on the ground.

I dont recall seeing Jon Snows dragon again......but I'm presuming that since death wasnt shown, it survived.

Yea or nay?

40 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Does anyone need to believe them? They didnt do it for recognition.

I guess not, no.  But I can say I'd be pretty annoyed very quickly if I were anyone from the North who fought and everyone just responded "Right, army of the dead, ssssuuuuuurrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee."

Just now, Leader said:

Question......rewatching.

Aften Jon Snow and the NK's dragons have the aerial fight - the NK is knocked off his dragon while Jon Snow's dragon crashes to earth and drops him on the ground.

I dont recall seeing Jon Snows dragon again......but I'm presuming that since death wasnt shown, it survived.

Yea or nay?

Yes. Rhaegal is shown in the trailers for next week.

• Like 1