Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

that or prophecies are like actual religion. They're full of crap.

I dont know how you say that knowing what all the Lord of Light pulled off last episode. Melisandra with an MVP caliber performance.

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I dont know how you say that knowing what all the Lord of Light pulled off last episode. Melisandra with an MVP caliber performance.

Lord of Light didn't give a prophecy of who that prince who was promised would be.

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Lord of Light didn't give a prophecy of who that prince who was promised would be.

That scene after Beric died with Arya and Melisandre seemed to spell out otherwise.

Plus I just put up how D&D think themes are childish. The PWWP is a nothingness, Melisandre came in knowing it was Arya.

17 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

That scene after Beric died with Arya and Melisandre seemed to spell out otherwise.

Plus I just put up how D&D think themes are childish. The PWWP is a nothingness, Melisandre came in knowing it was Arya.

Then why did she keep saying it was Stannis and then Daenarys or Jon?

On 4/29/2019 at 9:00 PM, Broncofan said:

I have very few complaints overall about S8 (ep1 had moments that felt forced, Ghost’s USAF’s) but the library scene will be one of them I bet never shakes the label as completely out of character for the Arya arc.  

I have been slowly working my way through all these thread pages over days and when I make time, so apologies if answered or not. 

I'm curious to what specifically you meant, regarding Arya and the library scene. 

Me, I was annoyed with the fear she exhibited then.. as I didn't find it consistent with her general badarssery at that point. Maybe that's what you meant?

Other quick thoughts to this point of reading through.

We didn't think Drogon was hurt bad enough to concern over. We thought he was comforting, resting, and protecting Dany when she was grieving over Jorrah (who we consider a huge main character loss, to all the ones crying over no one meaningful dying). By show's end, we just assumed both dragons were alive and relatively well. 

There's the theory that Arya utilized a wight's face after killing it, and that helped her to encroach closer to the NK to end him. 

Also heard that Jon screamed at the enemy dragon so that Arya could slip behind it and toward where Bran was. Anyone heard that? 

There were things I'd have done differently... and preferred NK/Bran be explained to us more clearly (maybe still to come). More duels with NK and WW would have been welcomed. What I don't get is this. If there are those saying "I'm checked out/quit/show writing sucked for years", etc...

Then... bye? why bother to still complain? I quit watching TWD right after Glenn and Abe.. and have long since stopped griping about or thinking about that show. It's rare when things go as you want them to. I thought season 1 Punisher was solid, but quit watching S2 after a few episodes. If a show is stupid to you, then why follow stupid, much less give it the time for discussion? :/ 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Then why did she keep saying it was Stannis and then Daenarys or Jon?

She said she was wrong about Stannis. But all she said for Jon basically is that she saw the Bolton banners falling. She thought it would be Stannis doing it. And she just told Dany that she needed to meet with Jon.

She told Arya about the blue eyes in the early season when Gendry was sold. She mentioned it again last episode as like she had finally put it all together and that was the true prophecy.

Just now, oldman9er said:

I have been slowly working my way through all these thread pages over days and when I make time, so apologies if answered or not. 

I'm curious to what specifically you meant, regarding Arya and the library scene. 

Me, I was annoyed with the fear she exhibited then.. as I didn't find it consistent with her general badarssery at that point. Maybe that's what you meant?

Other quick thoughts to this point of reading through.

We didn't think Drogon was hurt bad enough to concern over. We thought he was comforting, resting, and protecting Dany when she was grieving over Jorrah (who we consider a huge main character loss, to all the ones crying over no one meaningful dying). By show's end, we just assumed both dragons were alive and relatively well. 

There's the theory that Arya utilized a wight's face after killing it, and that helped her to encroach closer to the NK to end him. 

Also heard that Jon screamed at the enemy dragon so that Arya could slip behind it and toward where Bran was. Anyone heard that? 

There were things I'd have done differently... and preferred NK/Bran be explained to us more clearly (maybe still to come). More duels with NK and WW would have been welcomed. What I don't get is this. If there are those saying "I'm checked out/quit/show writing sucked for years", etc...

Then... bye? why bother to still complain? I quit watching TWD right after Glenn and Abe.. and have long since stopped griping about or thinking about that show. It's rare when things go as you want them to. I thought season 1 Punisher was solid, but quit watching S2 after a few episodes. If a show is stupid to you, then why follow stupid, much less give it the time for discussion? :/ 

Yup, that's it.   It was completely out of keeping with her training, and even the scene before, she wiped out a score of the army's troops single-handledly.  And now she's afraid to go 1 on 1 in the library?  I get there were a half-dozen or so, and she ran the risk of being overrun, but the terror wasn't in line with the character before or after that scene.  And it was a huge timewaster, in a show that had to cover so much ground.   I get part of that scene's purpose was so Melisandre's speech would suddenly fire up Arya - but it did so in complete opposition to what we know about Arya. 

Frankly, if they had spent 2-3 mins watching her stealth her way through the army, it would have been far more aligned story-wise.  But of course, it removes the shock value of that final scene - but there's a fine line between shock value and poor story sequencing.  The library scene & having Arya suddenly sneak by the entire army between the Library and the Weirwood falls squarely into the latter of bad story sequencing. 

Right, yeah I don't disagree, @Broncofan

It did feel like a long time filler (waste).. but IIRC, there ended up being more enemies in that library than we first thought (probably more like a dozen or so). 

Yes, I think most would agree that they could have done some things better. That's fair. Just seems to get outta hand (from others) on the stretching for AND repetition on criticisms... but I guess that should be expected in this day and age of entitlement. winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

For Arya I can accept like someone else mentioned that the WWs had been called off.

I think something bigger is how Jorah was inside the walls. At the end when all the walkers were dying. they showed outside the walls and there was still 50k or so trying to pour in to Winterfell. Jorah getting to Dany is far more remarkable than Arya getting to the NK.

4 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Right, yeah I don't disagree, @Broncofan

It did feel like a long time filler (waste).. but IIRC, there ended up being more enemies in that library than we first thought (probably more like a dozen or so). 

Yes, I think most would agree that they could have done some things better. That's fair. Just seems to get outta hand (from others) on the stretching for AND repetition on criticisms... but I guess that should be expected in this day and age of entitlement. winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yeah, we've grown spoiled at the excellence TV can bring nowadays, no argument there.  Consider this, though - they cut the library scene shorter, or altogether - and they include even a 10 sec drop where we see her sneak up on a Wight, and then the ending scene has her dropping a wight's face....how powerful does that final scene become?   Explains the entire ability to sneak past the army unseen...it's not going to destroy the ep for me, but I do get the criticism on the library scene being out of place for her character-wise.  When a show's as dense as S8 has to be, these decisions do get magnified impact-wise.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, we've grown spoiled at the excellence TV can bring nowadays, no argument there.  Consider this, though - they cut the library scene shorter, or altogether - and they include even a 10 sec drop where we see her sneak up on a Wight, and then the ending scene has her dropping a wight's face....how powerful does that final scene become?   Explains the entire ability to sneak past the army unseen...it's not going to destroy the ep for me, but I do get the criticism on the library scene being out of place for her character-wise.  When a show's as dense as S8 has to be, these decisions do get magnified impact-wise.

Would have been better. Petition this person up as a writing consultant. I will sign it. ^

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think the point of Arya coming up to the Night King from where she was is because she apparently had been swinging from Tree tops.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

The only two options after that last episode are:

1. Arya killing the NK was just a misdirect and either the NK comes back, or he isn't the true evil. Then the prophecies can still be intact.

2. D+D just went YOLO and didn't care about any of the lore and ruined the entire series.

I'm still trying to hold out hope for the former, but the latter is probably more likely.....

I'm thinking it's close to this, but my hope is more that instead of "ruined the series," it's more "get GOT back to season 4."  It's probably difficult to give a good, meaningful ending to the Night King storyline.  I'm thinking he was a show only invention that they created because the Others just being a group of hiveminded weirdos without a specified leader doesn't translate to film as well.

They did a bad job with the NK storyline over the past few seasons (Hardhome was amazing, as was The Door, but after that, it floundered).  I'm all about them saying "sunk cost" and getting back to the character/political drama of before.

Why is Broncofan the only person I cant quote? Sucka betta get me off ignore.

But for the library thing. Arya had a nasty head injury. I think some of that was her trying to as you Americans say, "get her sh together". Thats the way I was taking it. Then she started to gather up herself and proceed. With Hound and Beric coming for her unleashing the 3rd quarter Brady down 28-3 comeback.