Around The League

Bobby816

I feel this is a good year for us to be active in the trade market. We have cap space going forward to be able to take the cap hit on some players that can be had for draft picks. If the talent and position need add up... I'm ok with giving up draft picks. i.e. Going after an Edge rusher for a early pick I wouldn't be against bc a proven great player is more valuable IMO than a risk in a draft pick (Chandler Jones or Dante Fowler Jr). I'd like to see us look into the WR market. Cooper is gone now... but if I'm Macc I'm making calls to try and upgrade that core.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I feel this is a good year for us to be active in the trade market. We have cap space going forward to be able to take the cap hit on some players that can be had for draft picks. If the talent and position need add up... I'm ok with giving up draft picks. i.e. Going after an Edge rusher for a early pick I wouldn't be against bc a proven great player is more valuable IMO than a risk in a draft pick (Chandler Jones or Dante Fowler Jr). I'd like to see us look into the WR market. Cooper is gone now... but if I'm Macc I'm making calls to try and upgrade that core.

Think we could aim for Noah Spence from Tampa, was a huge fan of his coming out and still think he’s got a ton of potential, a 5th could get that deal done

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The problem is these players are fetching crazy draft capital. Everyone needs edge, OL and WR help. Cooper for a first. Jeez

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

The problem is these players are fetching crazy draft capital. Everyone needs edge, OL and WR help. Cooper for a first. Jeez

Its a week away so the market will play out. For an edge I have no problem actually giving up a 1st. Call me crazy for saying that. I think Chandler Jones and Dante Fowler I wouldn't be upset if we gave up 1st for either of them. They're proven star edge rushers. Like I stated... with the 1st rounder we have (if we draft edge) odds are that edge wont be as good as either of them. All it saves us is money and we have plenty of that. I do think we need to look into the WR trade market as well. Problem is the 2 most attractive names out there are inside the division (Benjamin and Parker) so I doubt we can make a move for either of them.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Its a week away so the market will play out. For an edge I have no problem actually giving up a 1st. Call me crazy for saying that. I think Chandler Jones and Dante Fowler I wouldn't be upset if we gave up 1st for either of them. They're proven star edge rushers. Like I stated... with the 1st rounder we have (if we draft edge) odds are that edge wont be as good as either of them. All it saves us is money and we have plenty of that. I do think we need to look into the WR trade market as well. Problem is the 2 most attractive names out there are inside the division (Benjamin and Parker) so I doubt we can make a move for either of them.

Yes I'm calling you crazy. I would not give up a first round pick for an edge rusher unless his name is Von Miller or Mack. I think the first round pick for Cooper is not that far off for Dallas. They need a WR BAD. Dallas has an open window right now because Zeke only has so many years left with the abuse he is taking right now with all these carries and catches. 

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Yes I'm calling you crazy. I would not give up a first round pick for an edge rusher unless his name is Von Miller or Mack. I think the first round pick for Cooper is not that far off for Dallas. They need a WR BAD. Dallas has an open window right now because Zeke only has so many years left with the abuse he is taking right now with all these carries and catches. 

So what you’re saying is that you 100% think that and edge rusher we’d get in Round 1 (pick around 10ish) will be better than Chandler Jones or Dante Fowler Jr?

13 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The 2015 draft a lot of us on this board wanted Cooper real bad. He went to Oakland with fourth over all pick in the draft.

Yeah, but you pay a premium for the prospect that he could be a top 5 receiver. Once the mystery is over and he's shown to be a middling talent, the value is no longer there.

14 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah, but you pay a premium for the prospect that he could be a top 5 receiver. Once the mystery is over and he's shown to be a middling talent, the value is no longer there.

Exactly. He hasn’t lived up to where he was drafted. Now he’s still young and can become a great WR for all we know and Dallas looks great. I don’t like thebtrade for Dallas. Mainly bc I don’t view Cooper worthy of a 1st round pick inside the top 1/2 of the draft. I do however think teams value draft picks too much. Like I said in another thread. For me there’s no reason if we know we want an edge rusher to not give up a 1st for a pro bowl player at edge. It’s sich a small chance the guy we’d draft will be better than the proven talent. Given that talent is a Chandler Jones or Dante Fowler. I should add that I think Fowler is a constant 10+ sack guy if he started regularly (which he would for us).

Tye other side of this is to just say wait until FA. But we can’t forget that we aren’t an attractive destination for FAs. We repeatedly offer money but a player chooses elsewhere. So saying just wait till FA like it’s a given we offer money and they come is far fetched. 

13 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Think we could aim for Noah Spence from Tampa, was a huge fan of his coming out and still think he’s got a ton of potential, a 5th could get that deal done

Those types of low risk high reward trades are the only deals I'm making.  

I'd be hard pressed to dump a 1st and more for Jones and I certainly wasn't trading a 1st for Cooper.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Ewww that is horrible.  I would not give up anything more than a 4th for Fowler.  They would give you Bortles too just for fun if you offered a 1st.

27 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Normally  I would agree with you on giving up a first round pick. But we have absolutely not one player on the defense that can even rush the QB never mind sacking him. Our defensive backfield is one of the best in the NFL, but we still are giving up over 30 point is almost every game. If we can get a pass rusher in his mid twenties it would make the defense look completely different. I do agree with you about Cooper, Dallas had no choice, Cooper could turn their offensive around. 

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Those types of low risk high reward trades are the only deals I'm making.  

I'd be hard pressed to dump a 1st and more for Jones and I certainly wasn't trading a 1st for Cooper.

Ewww that is horrible.  I would not give up anything more than a 4th for Fowler.  They would give you Bortles too just for fun if you offered a 1st.

I wouldn’t love giving a 1st for Fowler... but I wouldn’t hate it either. After all hed answer our need at edge (you have to add a bunch to his production since he’s not an every down guy in Jacksonville). I think a 2nd is an appropriate value for him but we don’t have a 2nd. I highly doubt they’d take a trade for 2020s 2nd. We clearly have interest in him. We’ve contacted Jacksonville multiple times about him. And like I stated I wouldn’t love the value. But odds are the guy we’d draft in Round 1 at edge wouldn’t be as good as Fowler Jr. and that’s my main argument. This stands for Jones as well.

Noah Spence is a different story. For me I wouldn’t give up anything worth a damn for him. He’s done nothing really. Isn’t that fast (which is what we neee off the edge) and can’t get any playing time. I’d give up a 6th for him to take a shot.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I wouldn’t love giving a 1st for Fowler... but I wouldn’t hate it either. After all hed answer our need at edge (you have to add a bunch to his production since he’s not an every down guy in Jacksonville). I think a 2nd is an appropriate value for him but we don’t have a 2nd. I highly doubt they’d take a trade for 2020s 2nd. We clearly have interest in him. We’ve contacted Jacksonville multiple times about him. And like I stated I wouldn’t love the value. But odds are the guy we’d draft in Round 1 at edge wouldn’t be as good as Fowler Jr. and that’s my main argument. This stands for Jones as well.

Noah Spence is a different story. For me I wouldn’t give up anything worth a damn for him. He’s done nothing really. Isn’t that fast (which is what we neee off the edge) and can’t get any playing time. I’d give up a 6th for him to take a shot.

Fowler is solid, not nearly 1st round worthy.  Plus you then have to pay him big bucks to keep him.  Would much rather just draft a guy in the 1st before ever considering trading a 1st for a guy with off the field issues, not that great anyway, and is looking for a big pay day.  

Chandler Jones is worth a 1st, Fowler not even close.

23 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fowler is solid, not nearly 1st round worthy.  Plus you then have to pay him big bucks to keep him.  Would much rather just draft a guy in the 1st before ever considering trading a 1st for a guy with off the field issues, not that great anyway, and is looking for a big pay day.  

Chandler Jones is worth a 1st, Fowler not even close.

I believe our 1st should be used on a WT or LT. So I also don’t like the idea of going edge in round 1.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I believe our 1st should be used on a WT or LT. So I also don’t like the idea of going edge in round 1.

Then why in the world would be ok trading it for Fowler if you don't even want to draft one.  Makes no sense really.

Archived