Playoff Watch

Kiwibrown

Baker should have had all the preseason reps with the 1's, and then Tyrod shoulda been the week 1 starter, at least that is how it shoulda been if we didn't have a coach who is only coaching for his job with disregard with what is best for any future past this season. 

Tyrod is NOT as bad as his stats show last week.  He just isn't.  Sucky weather, first game with all new guys, out of sync Gordon (now out for game 2 somehow, seems fishy).........I won't be calling for Tyrod's head unless it looks painfully obvious to do so, like a 1-4-1 record with the offense not doing much of anything every game.  

Right now???  No way. 

4 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Baker should have had all the preseason reps with the 1's, and then Tyrod shoulda been the week 1 starter, at least that is how it shoulda been if we didn't have a coach who is only coaching for his job with disregard with what is best for any future past this season. 

Tyrod is NOT as bad as his stats show last week.  He just isn't.  Sucky weather, first game with all new guys, out of sync Gordon (now out for game 2 somehow, seems fishy).........I won't be calling for Tyrod's head unless it looks painfully obvious to do so, like a 1-4-1 record with the offense not doing much of anything every game.  

Right now???  No way. 

Tyrod's has mainly been known as a QB who takes care of the ball....which isn't hard when your first instinct is to run and you only throw it to wide open WRs....that throw to Gordon that led to an interception was horrid, bad weather or not.

I agree that Baker should have gotten first team reps as well...this BS of all QBs need to sit is overblown; I agree there are QBs who can benefit from sitting...but top QBs who are seen as top 3 picks should be ready and given the opportunity to learn in game...but this means having a competent HC who can ensure the young QB is taken care of and developed.

I'd say the next two games, Saints and Jets, if Tyrod still shows he can't do much, Baker needs to start so he can start learning and making his rookie mistakes now, instead of next year.

Whether or not a QB should play right away is entirely up to how "ready" that QB is.  He would at least have to be a certain level of ready where he can call the plays, knows how to make some changes at the line, and can at least show some level of understanding of reading NFL defenses.  

I think once a guy is at a certain level, it is no longer too soon to be playing him, and at that point playing is  more beneficial than sitting. 

The question is, where is Baker in that process?  We don't know how "ready" he is.  It would do more  harm than good to throw a guy out there who isn't ready at all.  

As for Baker, my guess is he is ready enough where playing will actually help his progress.  That said, I still dont want him thrust in there just yet.

35 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Whether or not a QB should play right away is entirely up to how "ready" that QB is.  He would at least have to be a certain level of ready where he can call the plays, knows how to make some changes at the line, and can at least show some level of understanding of reading NFL defenses.  

I think once a guy is at a certain level, it is no longer too soon to be playing him, and at that point playing is  more beneficial than sitting. 

The question is, where is Baker in that process?  We don't know how "ready" he is.  It would do more  harm than good to throw a guy out there who isn't ready at all.  

As for Baker, my guess is he is ready enough where playing will actually help his progress.  That said, I still dont want him thrust in there just yet.

I want him thrust in there as soon as possible. I'd confidently bet money if I could that the second Baker takes over, we actually have a legitimate shot. A team goes as the quarterback goes. Tyrod is <<<<<<<<<<<Baker.

1 hour ago, duke2056 said:

The question is, where is Baker in that process?  We don't know how "ready" he is. 

His replacement is putting up similar stats in the same gimmick system.

Has to be a long way between the gimmick system and the NFL.

2 hours ago, duke2056 said:

Baker should have had all the preseason reps with the 1's, and then Tyrod shoulda been the week 1 starter, at least that is how it shoulda been

So just have our new starting QB figure things out with all new personnel when the games actually matter?  That’s what you’re saying?

12 minutes ago, bruceb said:

His replacement is putting up similar stats in the same gimmick system.

Has to be a long way between the gimmick system and the NFL.

How much do you know about his replacement?

He was a 2x Mr. Football in TX, the USA Today National OPOTY and was just selected 9th OVERALL in the MLB draft and will be playing for the A’s in a few years.

He’s not exactly some schmuck.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Didn't say he was.

But now that you mentioned it, Mayfield is no he.

And it's still the same gimmick system.

So was Goff more or less.

The gimmick you’re referring to is RPO’s, which is pretty much what Philly used to win a SB.

It’s not a gimmick, just smart football.  The NFL is woefully behind college as far as offensive innovation imo.

Archived