A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

19 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I really like Ed Oliver but drafting Jonah Williams and kicking Dion Dawkins inside as a potential Pro Bowl LG would be a nice start a fixing the OL.

I'm not as big on Nick Bosa as others and don't see any WR that would have value where we'll be picking 

Im not buying Jonah Williams as an automatic LT, and I am not sure why everyone has been pushing Dawkins to move to guard, he has been solid for what he can do. Its a unit so I expect him to play even better next year if they bring in a top FA guard. They have 90+ mil i think its safe to say they need to throw 2/3 of the money at the top olineman who can be immediate impact players then risk it on a rookie who may not pan out like most 1st round olineman have in the past. I dont want another Mike Williams incident either. With Guys like Bosa and Oliver who have proven to be top tier guys over the last 2 years in college. Bama is always a force but Im not sure how many have excelled at the next level. They are getting much love now cause they are all 5 star players playing together but when they are separate they crumble. I may be wrong but this draft is top heavy on d and if they have a shot at elite talent take it even if it means not landing an olineman early. Im all for spending the money on Olineman to protect Allen and go BPA in the draft. Wr is a crap shoot for sure in the draft 2nd round would be the earliest I would want them to take one and think the FA is just as bad. My hope is they make a trade that can benefit them and focus on 2020 draft to land a stud wr.

50 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im not buying Jonah Williams as an automatic LT, and I am not sure why everyone has been pushing Dawkins to move to guard, he has been solid for what he can do. Its a unit so I expect him to play even better next year if they bring in a top FA guard. They have 90+ mil i think its safe to say they need to throw 2/3 of the money at the top olineman who can be immediate impact players then risk it on a rookie who may not pan out like most 1st round olineman have in the past. I dont want another Mike Williams incident either. With Guys like Bosa and Oliver who have proven to be top tier guys over the last 2 years in college. Bama is always a force but Im not sure how many have excelled at the next level. They are getting much love now cause they are all 5 star players playing together but when they are separate they crumble. I may be wrong but this draft is top heavy on d and if they have a shot at elite talent take it even if it means not landing an olineman early. Im all for spending the money on Olineman to protect Allen and go BPA in the draft. Wr is a crap shoot for sure in the draft 2nd round would be the earliest I would want them to take one and think the FA is just as bad. My hope is they make a trade that can benefit them and focus on 2020 draft to land a stud wr.

Why does everyone around here compare prospects they don't want to a bust we took? 

53 minutes ago, Maxmw22 said:

I think our big UFA signing will be Ryan Kalil. It makes too much sense. We were hurt by Wood retiring, so we sign a pro bowl C from the Panthers to help a rookie QB. It's like the Star signing this year.

God I hope not. A 34 year old C shouldn't be what the Bills are after...not unless they feel Peterman can lead them to the playoffs in 2019.

14 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im not buying Jonah Williams as an automatic LT, and I am not sure why everyone has been pushing Dawkins to move to guard, he has been solid for what he can do. Its a unit so I expect him to play even better next year if they bring in a top FA guard. They have 90+ mil i think its safe to say they need to throw 2/3 of the money at the top olineman who can be immediate impact players then risk it on a rookie who may not pan out like most 1st round olineman have in the past

Because Dawkins has not been solid. He was solid last year with better QB play and player beside him but the chances of landing an Incognito type performer in the draft or free agency is slim and I don't want my LT to be dependent on their LG.

Williams is the real deal and having him and Dawkins beside one another could solve the left side of the line for a decade. 

Here are the last 5 drafts (not including this year as its too early) and the OT taken. 

2017: Garrett Boles, Ryan Ramczyk 
2016: Jack Conklin, Laremy Tunsil. Taylor Decker, Germain Ifedi
2015: Erek Flowers, Andrus Peat, Cedric Ogbuehi, DJ Humphries 
2014: Jake Mathews, Taylor Lewan, Juwan James
2013: Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson, DJ Fluker, 

The only full on bust are Flowers and Ifedi. A few have moved inside or onto other teams but the majority (Boles, Ramczyk, Conklin, Decker, Humphries, Mathews, Lewan, James, Fisher, Johnson and Fluker) are starting at either LT or RT and would be an immediate upgrade to our line. 

My dream scenario for the OL this off-season is sign Mitch Morse (assuming his brain isn't mash potatoes) to a big contract and Juwan James to a fair size one as well. Draft Jonah Williams and slide Dawkins into LG where he was originally projected anyway and let the OL feast once again.

LT: Williams
LG: Dawkins
C: Morse
RG: Teller/Sirles?
RT: James 

That would be a really nice blend of veteran presence and young guys to grow with Allen. 

20 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Because Dawkins has not been solid. He was solid last year with better QB play and player beside him but the chances of landing an Incognito type performer in the draft or free agency is slim and I don't want my LT to be dependent on their LG.

Williams is the real deal and having him and Dawkins beside one another could solve the left side of the line for a decade. 

Here are the last 5 drafts (not including this year as its too early) and the OT taken. 

2017: Garrett Boles, Ryan Ramczyk 
2016: Jack Conklin, Laremy Tunsil. Taylor Decker, Germain Ifedi
2015: Erek Flowers, Andrus Peat, Cedric Ogbuehi, DJ Humphries 
2014: Jake Mathews, Taylor Lewan, Juwan James
2013: Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson, DJ Fluker, 

The only full on bust are Flowers and Ifedi. A few have moved inside or onto other teams but the majority (Boles, Ramczyk, Conklin, Decker, Humphries, Mathews, Lewan, James, Fisher, Johnson and Fluker) are starting at either LT or RT and would be an immediate upgrade to our line. 

Juwan James has sucked im sorry but the guy was a liability for the phins at both LT and RT. Tunsil is getting beat up on that phins oline as well. Not saying he is a bust but Dawkins is better. Joeckel is on his 4-5 team and still struggling to be a starter. Only a handful of those guys have been playing at a Tackle which is the argument about Jonah would he be an immediate starter at LT? That I am not sure of because Bama players all have been 4-5 star along that oline which makes them better then they really are. I would prefer to go for the sure fire guy which is oliver or bosa and focus on lineman in free agency rather then reach for someone. This draft is defense top heavy i would hate to miss on a stud because they are drafting need over bpa.

13 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

I think our big UFA signing will be Ryan Kalil. It makes too much sense. We were hurt by Wood retiring, so we sign a pro bowl C from the Panthers to help a rookie QB. It's like the Star signing this year.

There are several younger centers that are better then Kalil. If i were beane Paradis would be the top player on my fa list. He is young and they are looking to build long term not just a stop gap. 

10 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Juwan James has sucked im sorry but the guy was a liability for the phins at both LT and RT. Tunsil is getting beat up on that phins oline as well. Not saying he is a bust but Dawkins is better. Joeckel is on his 4-5 team and still struggling to be a starter. Only a handful of those guys have been playing at a Tackle which is the argument about Jonah would he be an immediate starter at LT? That I am not sure of because Bama players all have been 4-5 star along that oline which makes them better then they really are. I would prefer to go for the sure fire guy which is oliver or bosa and focus on lineman in free agency rather then reach for someone. This draft is defense top heavy i would hate to miss on a stud because they are drafting need over bpa.

few things

1) James was graded out as one of the best OL last year

2) I didn't include Tunsil as a T ..he was one of the ones i said has been moved inside

3) Same thing about Joeckel, I included him as someone who has moved inside and played for a few teams

4) 11 of the 17 players are at Tackle...not a handful, but 11. All of whom would be an upgrade over Jordan Mills and some if not most over Dawkins right now

27 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

few things

1) James was graded out as one of the best OL last year

2) I didn't include Tunsil as a T ..he was one of the ones i said has been moved inside

3) Same thing about Joeckel, I included him as someone who has moved inside and played for a few teams

4) 11 of the 17 players are at Tackle...not a handful, but 11. All of whom would be an upgrade over Jordan Mills and some if not most over Dawkins right now

Upgrade over Mills no question about that. My argument is to spend the pick on Jonah Williams and kick dawkins inside i think that is a massive mistake. Your now putting your best olineman at a different position and expecting the rookie to come in and take over the 2nd most important job on offense. I would much rather take Dawkins at LT and fill in the rest of the oline with FA talent, who have been in the league and have proven they are top olineman in the league. If James is the guy for Rt that is fine put him there but I am not comfortable at all taking a top 3 pick to pass on 2 guys who are known to be studs to land someone who has question marks at his position going in to the draft. Overall Bama has been dominating the college level at every level but how many of those guys actually turned out to be studs on their own on a prolevel team? Cam Robinson got injured so I cant really use him. Kouandjo brothers have been huge busts, Ryan Kelly has struggled at times but showed some promise, Dj Fluker has been a bust (graded horribly on PFF every year he has played), Chance Warmack has been a bust because of his high draft pick and zero production out of him as he plays back up in Philly, this is my concern about drafting Jonah Williams. If you want to upgrade Lg, C, Rg, and RT im all for bringing in anyone but to take a Tackle in the top 5 of 2019 draft is a mistake. I would take Paradis over Morse too as he has performed better overall the last 4 years then Morse has done. Ideally now that Marpet is off the table I wouldnt mind the oline looking like this LT Dawkins, then get saffold to play LG, Paradis C, Unknown RG, and either James/ Daryl Williams at Rt I would think the FA would be a success and go in to the draft getting the BPA at pick 2-5 since thats where they are likely to pick at.

Archived