Streams of the Week (Early Week 9 picks up!)

Dr LBC

30 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

What's the best handcuff potential between:

John Kelly

Chase Edmunds

Malcom Brown.

Mack \ Wilkins \ Hindes

It's between Brown and Kelly; and I kind of have to lean Brown because he's getting the minutes (as much as I wish it was the case, I don't think McVay is Cameron Artis-Payne-ing Kelly).

I want to see David Johnson actually able to do something regularly under Mike McCoy (or at least for Rosen to end up the starter) before I greenlight Edmunds.  There's potential in the player, but not in the offense right now... and DJ is signed long-term so it's not like there's a high likelihood that the Cards give him heavy minutes as the RBotF.

32 minutes ago, The LBC said:

It's between Brown and Kelly; and I kind of have to lean Brown because he's getting the minutes (as much as I wish it was the case, I don't think McVay is Cameron Artis-Payne-ing Kelly).

I want to see David Johnson actually able to do something regularly under Mike McCoy (or at least for Rosen to end up the starter) before I greenlight Edmunds.  There's potential in the player, but not in the offense right now... and DJ is signed long-term so it's not like there's a high likelihood that the Cards give him heavy minutes as the RBotF.

I think Chase as well, combination of everything you said. Our league has small bench, so it's challenging me to get one to stach.

Week 4:

(Teams on bye: CAR, WAS)

QB: Andy Dalton (@ Atlanta) - 34% owned in Yahoo, 29% owned in ESPN

- I really do like the matchup even with the potential for AJ Green to be hobbled - if active - but I'm also giving Dalton the nod as my recommended stream this week because with the QB injuries that occurred this past week, plus byes starting up, this is probably going to be last call for the Red Rifle if you want him.  And fortunately enough, he's got a really favorable schedule that could legitimately ride you through most bye weeks (meaning, worst case scenario if you pick him up this week you might actually be able to trade him to someone else whose QB is on bye in a coming week), including 3/5 games at home and a schedule leading into his own bye week of: vs. MIA, vs. PIT, @ KC, vs. Tampa.  Dalton is averaging 18 fantasy points per week right now which, granted is bolstered by shredding Baltimore on Thursday night football, but even in his worst week against a good defense he put up double-digits - and that with his primary receiver missing notable time for injury.

Other options: Baker Mayfield (@ OAK) and yeah, I'm on the Baker train, at least as a streamer.  Tannehill put up streamable numbers against this Oakland defense and Case Keenum (realistically) would have had multiple TD's not been overturned and Demaryius Thomas not developed a case of the dropsies.  Baker is aggressive which appears to be something the Raiders defense struggles against and, it also can't be overlooked, that both Todd Haley and Hue have familiarity with Raiders' DC Paul Guenther and his scheme/play-calling as he was until this year the DC in Cincinnati.  Case Keenum (@ KC) I don't love this, but Kansas City is giving up the 3rd-most fantasy points to opposing QB's and, at minimum, I feel like Keenum, on the road and likely playing from behind, is going to give you a respectable floor from at least garbage time alone.  He's going to turn the ball over, but that's actually not my bigger concern here which is actually that Denver manages to implement the kind of game-script it's going to take to beat Mahomes and Chiefs... which is to keep the ball out of Mahomes' hands via ball-control offense and lockdown defense (which they're capable of doing).  I'd prefer either of the two previous to Keenum, but if you're pressed, he's an okay ripcord.

TE: Austin Hooper (vs Cincinnati) - 29% owned in Yahoo, 25% owned in ESPN

- If for some reason the other TE in this match-up (Tyler Eifert) is available on your waiver wire, go get him - Atlanta's safeties have been dropping like flies, teams are able to pass on them with relative ease, and AJ Green is going to be at least nicked up.  At this point with the way the TE waivers are in most leagues, you're looking for who has the best chance to give you a TD and isn't going to goose-egg you.  For that reason, I like Hooper - more so for the TD upside than the fantastic floor, but what he does have is a consistent 5 targets per game with one of those coming in the red-zone each week (2 pt conversion last week) and he has only failed to catch balls he's targeted with once per week.  The Bengals, meanwhile, are giving up the 6th-most fantasy points to opposing TE's including TD's to TE in 2 of the first 3 weeks.

Other options: Mark Andrews  @ PIT is more of a floor play with TD-upside.  The Ravens can't seem to make their mind up which TE they want to work through (probably a greater sign that they're keeping a seat warm for Hayden Hurst), but Andrews has been the more consistent of the two in at least posting fantasy points.  He snagged a TD on the road against the Bengals in Week 2 and was 1 yard short of a 3 or 5 point output last week against Denver.  I don't love him, but it's a crap-shoot at this point and the Steelers defense is giving up the most fantasy points to TE's in the league right now and the Steelers themselves are ending up in weekly shootouts.  Dallas Goedert (@ TEN) This is a dart-throw, but a worthy one.  Particularly given the injuries they're battling at WR, but also because they're looking to protect Wentz as he's eased back into active play, the Eagles look content to run a good amount of 2-TE jumbo package sets which puts Goedert, another athletic TE, on the field at a greater rate.  Ertz is going to draw the most attention of the two, but there's a good shot that Goedert is the one who gets what would normally be Alshon Jeffery's routes in the red-zone.  Tennessee has been the best defense against TE's this season, but I expect that to impact Ertz more than Goedert whose looks are likely more in an oversized WR capacity.

DEF: Green Bay (vs BUF) - 30% owned in Yahoo, 12% owned in ESPN

- I called my shot on this last week and I'm sticking to it.  Yes, if you're just looking at the scoreline of the Bills' win against Minnesota, you're a little suspect here, but go a little more in depth.  Look at the work that Buffalo's defense put in and the starting field position it gave the offense.  I don't see that as likely to happen against Rodgers and the Packers offense in Lambeau.  Also, and probably for Clay Matthews' benefit, Josh Allen isn't exactly the easiest QB to take down or drive to the ground, so we're less likely to see sacks overturned in favor of RTP penalty calls.  If you listened to me last week and picked up Cleveland's defense, they're right up there as well this week; and Baker leading the offense will only help keep them fresher.

Other options: Arizona (vs SEA) is getting underheralded.  The Cardinals defense, when they're not playing an extraordinarily high-powered offense, has been a consistent source of sacks and turnovers, which set a nice baseline for you; and Seattle's OL has been a consistent source of giving up sacks and turnovers this season.  Indianapolis (vs HOU) I've been guilty myself of bagging on them, but they're (still IMO overachieved) produced so far so I see no reason not to stay in the flames with them while they're hot against an offense that gave up 4 sacks to Tennessee and 3 to the Giants.  Also you eyes peeled to your waiver wire if someone foolishly dropped the Chargers defense last week because they were playing the Rams, as they get the CJ Beathard-led Niners this weekend.

BONUS STREAMS:

WR (bye week fills with upside): Tyler Boyd (@ ATL; 19% owned in Yahoo, 24% owned in ESPN), Ted Ginn (@ NYG; 36% owned in Yahoo, 33% owned in ESPN), Antonio Callaway (@ OAK; 33% owned in Yahoo, 16% owned in ESPN)

RB (bye week fliers/fills): Javorius Allen (@ PIT; 28% owned in Yahoo, 39% owned in ESPN), Chris Ivory (@ GB; 7% owned in Yahoo, 5.1% in ESPN), Also keep an eye out of Phillip Lindsay's ejection causes his owner to make a knee-jerk drop as he's a worthy pickup.

10 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was able to get Dalton but for some odd reason the owner of Arod picked up Goff. I was hoping to start Dalton this week with Goff playing MN on TNF...

He could be planning ahead, I suppose.  ARod is on bye in Week 7 and the Rams play in San Francisco that weekend.

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm rolling with the Seahawks this week. Wanted to snag up Dalton and stream him over Goff, but someone got him. 

Always enjoy the read @The LBC Than you

No worries.  I think, honestly, both defenses in the Arizona/Seattle game are streamable.  It's a rookie Rosen in his first start with Vanilla McCoy as his OC.  The only Cardinals players I'm remotely comfortable starting this week (besides their defense) are David Johnson (in PPR formats only) as I think he'll see a lot of checkdowns and Fitzgerald - and even with them if I have more favorable matchups available to me, I'm leaning that way on a wait-and-see approach.

I'm similarly playing a wait and see approach in both my main leagues.  I'm going to have to roster someone to bye-fill Rodgers in Week 7, but I'm not dropping a RB right now to do it (too valuable a commodity, especially considering the rate at which RB's who were drafted are getting injured or hitting the IR) even though I stand to get Ingram back next week and would then be working from a stable (with 2 weekly starters and a potential FLEX) of DJ, Conner, Lynch, Ingram, and Aaron Jones in a 1/2 pt PPR league.

I was fortunately insulated against the Burkhead injury in my money league because I also owned Michel - and this honestly frees up a roster spot for me.  I ended up taking a flier on Callaway and going to hope he starts his breakout from my bench this week because that would free me up to try to trade Josh Gordon after/if he has a big breakout game (honestly, I'll just be seeking a more dependable/predictable option even if I'm sacrificing some ceiling).  Someone dropped Evan Engram due to his injury in my league and I'm not going to pop off waiver priority on him with him being injured, but when OJ Howard hits his bye next week (depending on how far away from back Engram looks) I might drop him for Engram and just ghost the TE spot for 1 week to take the upgrade when Engram returns.

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

For those that are like me and like to look ahead when it comes to Defense...The Titans play the Bills next week and then have Baltimore at home week 6. The Titans have been a pretty underrated fantasy defense IMO. 

This is true.  That said, I'm actually starting to warm to Josh Allen as a streamable option in the coming weeks.  He gets you yards and TD's on the ground which is fantasy floor gold where streaming QB's are concerned (and why guys like Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor were viable streamers in previous seasons).

51 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He could be planning ahead, I suppose.  ARod is on bye in Week 7 and the Rams play in San Francisco that weekend.

Possibly. The funny this is he has both Reed and Greg Olsen. Both are on bye. so he picked up eifert. So he has THREE TEs roster oh and he dropped Aaron jones......

Week 5

Byes: Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

QB: Blake Bortles (@ KC) - 33% owned in Yahoo!, 18% owned in ESPN

- Fournette's injury plus the track record of the KC defense plus the fact that KC's offense is multi-dimensional enough to likely put up at least some points against the Jags defense just adds up for me.  Bortles isn't a bad fantasy QB.  I'm fading the probability of more than 2 TD's pretty heavily, but I think he offers a solid baseline against a bad defense on the road.  If KC's offense puts up the fight I expect it to, 300+ yards isn't out of the question for Bortles as he's got the guy able to operate on those routes over the middle and rack up YAC against a D that's struggling to tackle (Westbrook) and the guy capable of taking the top off the secondary and shaking Kyle Fuller and Orlando Scandrick on the boundary to get open deep (Cole).

Other options: Somehow, and for some reason, Andy Dalton (vs MIA) is still owned in 62% of less of leagues.  The dude has shown himself to be matchup-proof (or darn near close; and he doesn't face a tough defense until Week 11 and even that one he's already torched once this year) at this point and needs to be owned; I'd legitimately pick him up and start him over the likes of Russell Wilson and try to flip Wilson to someone who wants to bank on his past pedigree.  He's a rest-of-season starter if you can lay hands on him.  Joe Flacco (@CLE) is one I'm sold in at least a solid baseline from.  It is on the road, but the Browns are coming off of giving up 39 points to the Raiders (24 of those from passing TD's by Carr who added over 400 yards), and Flacco's been slinging this season.  And then, in almost what you could consider a post-hype sleeper status now, Marcus Mariota (@ BUF) is owned in only 34% of Yahoo! leagues and 20% of ESPN.  At the very least he's streamable given that he's adding rushing yards to boost the baseline and he's facing a Buffalo defense that's actually performed worse at home (47 and 34 PA respectively, vs 6 and 22 PA for their road games) and the elbow for Mariota looks to have healed.  Further, given Josh Allen's propensity for turnovers (which the Titans defense have actually been good at generating this season), there's good potential for some very favorable field position.

TE: Vance McDonald (vs ATL) - 45% owned in Yahoo!, 31% owned in ESPN

- Normally this is a higher-percentage of ownership than would qualify for the availability as a streamer here for me, but he's had +18% adds in the past day, so it's recent adds.  He appears to, now healthy, be the first-choice TE in the Steelers' offense and he got a target-share equal to AB's this past week.  Meanwhile, Atlanta's safety and LB corps are decimated by injuries and the Steelers defense is just as poor, so there's likely to be in the range of 60+ points combined put up in this game.  He's who I'm targeting as a fill-in for Trey Burton (bye) in one league, with the upside that he may make Burton expendable/tradeable.

Other options: First and foremost, I don't expect it to happen (it did in one of my leagues, but that person was dumb and desperate for a win), but check your waivers to see if the Jordan Reed (@ NO) owner dropped him for his bye week.  As to who replaces Tyler Eifert (broken ankle) in Cincinnati, that takes some dissecting but as last season's numbers for the starting Bengals TE showed after Eifert went down, those are TE1-worthy fantasy stats.  For that reason, even though CJ Uzomah is averaging more reps and targets this season than him, I'm actually falling on the Tyler Kroft (vs MIA) side because he's done it before and (knowing what I do of Marvin Lewis) I expect them to keep Uzomah's role what it has been and increase Kroft's role to account for Eifert's snaps.  Miami's not a great matchup this week, but it's a (if he shows out) starting TE role that's produced numbers in a field where the number of dependable TE's is quickly dwindling.  Ed Dickson (vs LAR) is an OK dart-throw, I suppose, considering the Rams have given up fantasy points to the TE and Will Dissly is out for the season, but the Rams have historically played Seattle tough and the Hawks OL vs the Rams OL is not a situation that bodes well for Russell Wilson.  If you have the roster spot available (dropping say a 5th WR or something akin), while he's on bye this week, Cameron Brate (TB) makes a really strong pickup as a one-week hold who will give you 4+ weeks of TE1 service from Weeks 6-9.  OJ Howard looks poised to miss 2-4 weeks (and as we've seen with Doug Baldwin, receiving options don't just return without rust from MCL sprains) and Brate and Jameis have chemistry (not to mention Jameis is a guy who rides the TE's - pun not intended - more than Fitzmagic does).

D/ST: Tennessee (@ BUF) - 20% owned in Yahoo!, 39% owned in ESPN

- Depending on your format the Titans D/ST is as high as a Top-5 fantasy defense right now and they're playing the Josh Allen Bills who are coming off a shutout.  They're going to be the hot add this week so if you need them, don't be shy on the FAAB. 

Other options: Carolina (vs NYG) may not be available, but if they are, I'd jump on them.  This matchup is favorable (coming off a bye, at home, against a team with a struggling/injured offense that hasn't put up 30 points in 37 regular season games). NYJ) has potential given Denver's secondary and Von Miller versus Sam Darnold (and his turnover-proneness).  I don't like that it's a road game and Keenum's willingness to turn the ball over gives me some pause about the field position the defense could be put in, but if you miss out on Tennessee as a Bears defense 1-week sub, you could do worse.  Bear in mind that Houston hosts the Bills next week and play in Dallas this weekend (and have been more or less good against the run), so if you're looking for a good baseline two-week option with room to grow, there's that.

BONUS STREAMS:

WR (bye week fills with upside): Keke Coutee (@ DAL; 4% owned in Yahoo, 1% owned in ESPN)*, Dede Westbrook (@ KC; 18% owned in Yahoo, 12% owned in ESPN), Antonio Callaway (vs BAL; 38% owned in Yahoo, 32% owned in ESPN)

* Monitor Will Fuller's status, Coutee steps into his role and gets most of his reps from the slot (where Dallas has been beatable; see Golden Tate) if Fuller can't go.

RB (bye week fliers/fills): Nyheim Hines (@ NE; 17% owned in Yahoo, 15% owned in ESPN)*, Ty Montgomery (@ DET; 18% owned in Yahoo, 40% in ESPN; dart-throw, but the Lions are getting exposed by pass-catching RB's and if Jones doesn't do it, Monty likely will), Also keep an eye on Ronald Jones, he's probably a 2-week hold given that he's on bye this week and you'll need to see how the use the bye week to work him in, but Peyton Barber has been miserable and the opportunity is there if you have the roster slot to burn..

* This game has shootout written all over it and given that TY Hilton is likely to miss, I'm expecting an uptick in Hines' usage and targets.

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm debating on Bortles or Mahomes, picked up Bortles for this week....but don' think I can bench Mahomes. Will probably drop Bortles for the Colts defense...who have two really good match-ups coming up. Week 6 @ Jets on 10 days rest and Week 7 vs Buffalo. 

My dude you just can't bench Mahomes for Blake friggin Bortles, I don't care what the matchup is. 

40 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm debating on Bortles or Mahomes, picked up Bortles for this week....but don' think I can bench Mahomes. Will probably drop Bortles for the Colts defense...who have two really good match-ups coming up. Week 6 @ Jets on 10 days rest and Week 7 vs Buffalo. 

I get it. I have these type of thoughts all the time as I'm not as anti benching studs as a lot of people are. I nearly benched Goff for Flacco last week for this very reason. Bortles is actually pretty competent at home for the most part, and the KC defense is pretty bad. But the Jags defense, while great, isn't impervious to good offenses. 

I just think that there is too big of a drop in the trust I can place in each one of them to make the move. 

Archived