BDL 2018 Week 2: Cuba Smugglers @ Rome Eternals

Whicker

Cuba Smugglers @ Rome Eternals  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cuba Smugglers
    • Rome Eternals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2018 at 04:00 PM

20 hours ago, Whicker said:

Brees won’t be able to sit and make reads without duress. Last note, when we show some 4-3 base with our incumbent starters, Bruce Irvin gets more SLB role where he plays the run and covers a shallow zone in flats and things of short variety

Should’ve mentioned he isn’t being used as simply a pass rusher and more as a traditional LB. Unfortunately it’s CJ Mosely and Josh Bynes(!!!) that are taking Rome’s defense to the next level. 

13 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm talking more about Gurley.

Sub 3.0 YPC vs DL featuring Fletcher Cox and Campbell. If he’ll perform dramatically better here, you’re entitled to your opinion. Amongst this group, I still appreciate your willingness to vote.

10 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

@MD4L

What other defensive scheme are you running?  Perhaps overlooked it but from what I see this was the only mention of your defensive scheme.

It’s mostly a base 4-2-5. We’re mixing man with some zone coverage, particularly an emphasis on cover 3 and 4. Irvin coming for Iloka would give Anthony Walker more responsibility down field. Burnett and James are chess pieces that move around but if their in the game together one is closer to the LOS, effectively replacing Irvin and making us more equipped to handle Howard and Reed. 

2 hours ago, MD4L said:

Brees was not an elite player on Sunday, but New Orleans won so it doesn’t matter. He led his offense to 3 points in 3 quarters v Cleveland.

MD4L in other thread 

"What’s the point in surrounding people with talent just to hear about how their “struggling” in reality?

It’s bull. "

just saying

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

MD4L in other thread 

"What’s the point in surrounding people with talent just to hear about how their “struggling” in reality?

It’s bull. "

just saying

1. The voters are going to give Brees the benefit of doubt

2. How much of an upgrade is Gurley from Kamara? Same applies with Coop/Schuster from Michael Thomas?

3. After Julio to Nuk, it’s not an atrocious case that I’ve literally upgraded every position Watson deals with in reality. He’s got a stout defense in reality, and this one is impressive to me. The voters will reflect whether I’m right or wrong. I have reason to think Watson with more time can make quality reads.

4. Smith-Schuster was impressive on stat sheet but again Sherman nullifies some of that monster stat line.

46 minutes ago, MD4L said:

It’s mostly a base 4-2-5. We’re mixing man with some zone coverage, particularly an emphasis on cover 3 and 4. Irvin coming for Iloka would give Anthony Walker more responsibility down field. Burnett and James are chess pieces that move around but if their in the game together one is closer to the LOS, effectively replacing Irvin and making us more equipped to handle Howard and Reed. 

Thanks.

Cuba Smugglers @ Rome Eternals

I think Cuba fields a strong front four with some solid cornerback play and two talented safeties in James and Joyner (although, I’m still not quite sure why he didn’t register a single play In this last game), however linebacker is lacking and plugging in a safety doesn't make it better.  4-2-5 is sounding more like 4-1-6 and I just don't believe that works against a team with Gurley on the roster..

Offensively, I still feel that Cuba should be starting Kirk Cousins over Watson.  I understand that you believe with better pieces around him as you’ve done in this sim that his numbers would be much improved, I feel like you are being forced to have to justify his performance in this sim because his numbers aren’t so great in the NFL when you’ve got a quarterback on the bench that is putting up fantastic numbers in Cousins.

While Cuba mentioned a balanced offense with stretch and toss plays to the outside and utilizing the play action, Tevin Coleman seemed like a footnote.  I really was hoping to see Coleman more involved in the game planning.

Rome plans to cover Cook w/ Safety help which I think would limit the ability to capitalize on the stretch and tossing plays.  Cuba’s defense is strong up front with some solid corners but their linebacker group is a weakness and dropping a safety in to play linebacker smells, especially with a force such as Gurley on the field.

I like the matchups I think both teams will have issues passing the ball and I expect both quarterbacks to get knocked around a little bit but I believe Bree’s experience prevents him from making too many costly mistakes and is what ultimately cost the Smugglers the game.

23 hours ago, TedLavie said:

It's md4l vs bcb. I'm expecting 3 pages of debate pre-votes

@Jlash told you.

Going with Rome in this one. Cuba LB corps is in shamble and I think Brees can hit Howard/Reed/Gurley all day long, which will also negate the impact of Cuba pass rush. I also like Rome running game. Cuba DL is strong, except Hughes who is more of a pass rusher, and deep, but again I don't trust Iloka and Irvin to hold their own outside. That could free up Juju later too.

Cuba can also move the ball, I really like Cook vs Addae and Julio in the middle of the field, but I'm not sure they do it consistently enough, due to meh weapons aside from these 2 and a QB who really hasn't proven enough yet imho. 31-20 Rome.

If Cuba started cousins I think this is an entirely different game, I like Watson and think he would do well here but Cousins is playing fantastically. 

Cuba comes close but Rome is able to make clutch plays later in the game despite a late game comeback attempt from Cuba. 24-31 Cuba.

Archived