Doom and Gloom thread - We have the worst WR core in the NFL

Vladimir L

7 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Your completely missing the point. This isn’t about Cousins versus Smith, this is about Andy Reid creating a QB friendly offense that made Smith look a lot better than he is. We watched Andy Reid “fix” Alex Smith and bought the snake oil. 

Sadly, I think you're right. Its kinda like the Shanahans and running backs.

This is getting ridiculous.

The guy was a top 5 QB by most meaningful metrics in Week 1. We had our best season opener in almost 25 years and he was pretty close to flawless.

...and the forum was dead as a doornail. Aside from a couple begrudging “well, I guess we’ll see...grumble grumble” posts, all you could hear was crickets. 

Then he has a disappointing, disheartening 4th quarter performance where he was way too conservative — he really wasn’t bad before that — and all of a sudden “well I guess we’ll see” is right out the window because the most recent thing you saw finally lines up with your preconceived notions.

It was reasonable and responsible to demand more than a one-game sample before making a decision when you were looking wrong — but now that the last game was more in line with your expectation, it’s judgment time baby! And the forum is ablaze, because it’s way more fun to talk about how you were right and the Redskins suck and Alex Smith is a bum than it is to talk about the Redskins crushing someone and Smith orchestrating the offense beautifully.

And you might very well be right about it. Well, at least right in that they should have just started over at QB instead of paying a veteran (either Kirk or Alex). I’ve said numerous times that that would have been the other reasonable play. 

But I do find it ridiculous that the thing that people seem to get most excited about is being right about how stupid the Redskins are and how hopelessly bad they are. It’s draining. And in this instance, it’s not even close to justified or borne out by the facts on the field yet. 

Its more than a "preconceived notion" E. Its literally everything we already knew about Smith during his entire career. If you want to call it a "preconceived notion" okay. But, I'd say is a darned well informed "preconceived notion" then.

As for judgement time, its more than just pulling the trigger on this one game. Its that the forum knew Week 1 was against the Cardinals and 

A) the jury was still out on them. And with Week 2 performance by Arizona we can see we beat a creampuff team this year

B) the forum was giving him kudos on his performance in Week 1 but with the stipulation that he needed to go to the WRs more and...

C) Week 2 lines up with the "preconceived notion" of Alex Smith's entire career in microcosm

Again, was last year an aberration for Smith or evolution of his play as a QB? Given what I saw in Week 1 and Week 2 (especially 2) and given what his replacement is doing in KC, I tend to think last year was an aberration for Smith and we again get Fred Rogers (in terms of production) as our QB. Which is what myself and others were not happy about when we traded for him and then paid $90M on top of it.

Is it too early? Perhaps. 

But right now, it looks like more of the same with him. As Jeezy said, it will probably wax and wane. But you know me as the pessimist and the forum curmudgeon, so...

15 minutes ago, e16bball said:

And you might very well be right about it. Well, at least right in that they should have just started over at QB instead of paying a veteran (either Kirk or Alex). I’ve said numerous times that that would have been the other reasonable play. 

But I do find it ridiculous that the thing that people seem to get most excited about is being right about how stupid the Redskins are and how hopelessly bad they are. It’s draining. And in this instance, it’s not even close to justified or borne out by the facts on the field yet. 

I would be all in on supporting the redskins if they replaced Bruce Allen.  Until then, not so much.

we weren’t as good as we looked in week 1 or as bad as we looked in week 2

this is the type of inconsistency you get from a poorly coached team

all the blame isn’t on Smith. Our OL especially our tackles have been way over rated for years and we don’t have any fullback or TEs that can block. We’d be better off lining up 4 wide with Reed at the sideline not the hash and running the ball. Our offense is perfect for the run and shoot as is our coach. Btw that’s what they run in arena ball 

our team is built by someone who doesn’t have a clear vision of who we want to be- no identity like cobbled together with disparate pieces 

You could have Riggo at RB and be too would look terrible when 80% of time they are hit by DL in the backfield 

smith is who he has  always been; Smart mobile and careful with the ball.  Is the classic definition of Checkdown Charlie. He’s not good on third down and long and while he is mobile he is below average when throwing on the run. He is best when he has a lead. You can win with Smith if you have

1. A great/very good defense

2. Good running backs who also catch

3.ball control running team 

4. An offensive genius as HC

im sticking with my early prediction- bottom 1/3 record and top ten pick in 19 draft. 6-10 with a game over or under 

the alarm bells must be going off in Potomac at Danny place seeing the stadium half full for a season opener. Change will be coming but with Danny and Bruce does it really matter or is it just a new illusion 

I can’t stop thinking how wrong headed Doug’s statements were on why he liked Smith at QB-

“He has the charisma, he has the character, he has everything that you want in a quarterback,” Williams said. “And that’s what they’re supposed to be: a face of the franchise, and I can tell you this: Alex Smith fits that mold as the face of a franchise.”

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/04/doug-williams-alex-smith-redskins/

uh no- maybe from a marketing standpoint. I want a QB who yes has character and is a leader but also is a winner, who makes players around him better. -

But I digress- you can’t consistently win and won’t win with terrible leaders like Danny and Bruce Allen and they guys they hire 

good ole Kenny Beatrice “ Garbage at the top, garbage throughout” 

Doc out . 

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

This is getting ridiculous.

The guy was a top 5 QB by most meaningful metrics in Week 1. We had our best season opener in almost 25 years and he was pretty close to flawless.

...and the forum was dead as a doornail. Aside from a couple begrudging “well, I guess we’ll see...grumble grumble” posts, all you could hear was crickets. 

Then he has a disappointing, disheartening 4th quarter performance where he was way too conservative — he really wasn’t bad before that — and all of a sudden “well I guess we’ll see” is right out the window because the most recent thing you saw finally lines up with your preconceived notions.

It was reasonable and responsible to demand more than a one-game sample before making a decision when you were looking wrong — but now that the last game was more in line with your expectation, it’s judgment time baby! And the forum is ablaze, because it’s way more fun to talk about how you were right and the Redskins suck and Alex Smith is a bum than it is to talk about the Redskins crushing someone and Smith orchestrating the offense beautifully.

Oh my gosh so happy to have you back, the voice of reason of the forum has returned these past 3 months and I love it!

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Even in the win most of his passes went to TEs and RBs. And most were disappointed about this trade from the beginning. This isn’t what was wanted or needed. 

That’s what Gruden called, he wanted to establish the ground game first. Then they did not target Patrick Peterson who was covering Doctson and exploit the match ups he had with CT vs Ss & LBs and Reed vs Ss & LBs.

Are you really going to tell me that was a bad plan?

The big difference between week 1 and week 2 was the OL play, the Colts defense knew what was coming via film study and they tackled better than the Cardinals. Neither AD or CT found much open space in rushing or receiving because the Colts D dominated our OL which affected both the running game and passing game and because when they did get the ball on a swing pass in space, someone was there to make the tackle. 

Week 1 the OL was great and week 2 they were poor. We couldn’t run the ball which meant Alex had to throw it 46 times which is rarely a recipe for success in the NFL.

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Its more than a "preconceived notion" E. Its literally everything we already knew about Smith during his entire career. If you want to call it a "preconceived notion" okay. But, I'd say is a darned well informed "preconceived notion" then.

As for judgement time, its more than just pulling the trigger on this one game. Its that the forum knew Week 1 was against the Cardinals and 

A) the jury was still out on them. And with Week 2 performance by Arizona we can see we beat a creampuff team this year

B) the forum was giving him kudos on his performance in Week 1 but with the stipulation that he needed to go to the WRs more and...

C) Week 2 lines up with the "preconceived notion" of Alex Smith's entire career in microcosm

Again, was last year an aberration for Smith or evolution of his play as a QB? Given what I saw in Week 1 and Week 2 (especially 2) and given what his replacement is doing in KC, I tend to think last year was an aberration for Smith and we again get Fred Rodgers (in terms of production) as our QB. Which is what myself and others were not happy about when we traded for him and then paid $90M on top of it.

Is it too early? Perhaps. 

But right now, it looks like more of the same with him. As Jeezy said, it will probably wax and wane. But you know me as the peessimist and the forum curmudgeon, so...

Maybe the Colts are better than everyone thinks. They probably should’ve beaten Cincinnati week 1 and then Cincinnati spanked Baltimore in week 2 after Baltimore boat raced Buffalo in week 1. I mean really what killed us vs Indy was we couldn’t cover TY, does that surprise anyone? No one can cover TY. 

I think there’s a reason why we signed two vet WRs after just two weeks. I think they’re looking at the WR film and realizing that they have to do something because #18 isn’t cutting it and if he can’t get open off our route running that’s a problem. You can not just throw a Wr 50/50 balls all game, you can’t run an offense that way.

22 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Respectfully--- disagree. You DON'T have to take a shot .. Like Turtle said - They were just waiting. It would have taken a petrfect corner pass and a great catch. Throwing underneath -A missed tackle and boom. Someone scores.

But then why throw to the middle of the field? If the tackle doesn't miss, the clock keeps running.

They never tried a single out route.

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

But then why throw to the middle of the field? If the tackle doesn't miss, the clock keeps running.

They never tried a single out route.

I didn't see time as a major factor. Reed was down to the 21 ( before he didn't tuck the ball away ) It was 5 mins left with 4 times out. an eternity. We just needed that T D .. Then worry about getting the ball back...... IMHO

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

I didn't see time as a major factor. Reed was down to the 21 ( before he didn't tuck the ball away ) It was 5 mins left with 4 times out. an eternity. We just needed that T D .. Then worry about getting the ball back...... IMHO

I dunno what you were watching. We were running the clock out for them. And given that our defense was letting them run the ball, they could've easily killed most, if not all of that remaining clock. 

Even at 2 minutes we didn't have any sense of urgency. Just ho-hum, I guess I'll throw it to the RB in the middle of the field.

Yes, even 2 minutes can be an eternity. But we ran zero out routes and Smith didn't challenge the Cover 2.

Even if they are "Waiting on it", you have GOT to challenge that coverage. Because in that situation, unless its 4th down (in which you'd at least need to get the 1st), a pass only is negative 25% of the time

You get an INT = negative

You get an INC = neutral/positive as it doesn't get you upfield but it DOES stop the clock

You get a long completion = positive

You get a PI call against the defense = positive

So now the book out on us is to run a Cover 2 shell and make us throw short. Which helps the opposing team's run defense and makes it so that if the Redskins are behind, they have very little room for error to make up the difference. And until we start challenging it, look for days similar to yesterday.

Archived