Bills CB Vontae Davis reportedly retires at halftime of game

JammerHammer21

5 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Pretty ridiculous comparison either way. It's a game, dude. This line of thinking is toxic and outdated. 

Don't think he handled it well by bailing, but at the end of the day its his decision. Certainly tough to judge him for it. 

It's not a direct comparison, it's an analogy. It works. Could you think of a better one for us?

If I were a teammate of his, I would be really concerned.  This behavior is really out of the ordinary and normally when people display behavior like that there could be something wrong.  Lets say you never saw the statement he put out and you were a teammate that found out he left the building and retired in the middle of a game... I would wonder why, but then I would also wonder if everything is okay with him and his family.  For example, is he deeply depressed and suicidal?

It's interesting because I watched a segment featuring Shannon Sharpe, LaDainian Tomlinson and Deion Sanders and they were talking about this situation.  They were joking and laughing a lot, but towards the end Deion asked the other two if they would call him after the game and see what was going on with him - see if he's okay.  Both Sharpe and Tomlinson said they would not, while Deion said he would.

I get that people would get upset, but when someone suddenly gives up something they've always loved their entire life randomly out of the blue, that would be really concerning to me and I would care about the person more over a football game or season.

23 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Not when you think about it.  If you are in a war and a bunch of cowards in your unit just jump out of their foxholes and run, the battle plan will break down and the chances for defeat are much higher.  You can't run a war that way and expect to win.

Obviously, I'm not saying Vonte Davis should face a firing squad, but I will say that if he changed his mind in a week and wanted to come back into the NFL and play for another team, I sure wouldn't want him playing for my team if I were an owner.  I would also have a hard time even hiring him for my company if he applied for a job after his NFL retirement.  If you can't count on him finishing the job, what good is he?  Just saying.

The average NFL career is only 3 years and he played 9. I would consider that "finishing the job".

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's beyond the point. This whole debacle is a point of character, or lack thereof. You don't bail on your teammates. You play for each other out there; those 'fragile' Bills players put it on the line for Vontae, and Vontae turned his back on them.

I'm sure there is more to this story that will surface. 

Let's not get all melodramatic here. He has only been with the team for a few months.....not years. I highly doubt there were a single player on that field "putting on the line for Vontae". 

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The average NFL career is only 3 years and he played 9. I would consider that "finishing the job".

Let's not get all melodramatic here. He has only been with the team for a few months.....not years. I highly doubt there were a single player on that field "putting on the line for Vontae". 

I'm not saying they would take a bullet for him. I'm saying that you give your all because there is an unwritten pact that the teammates next to you will. They're all chasing the same goal where 100% effort and accountability counts. 

There is a reason why guys who loaft or aren't all in are called locker room cancers.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm not saying they would take a bullet for him. I'm saying that you give your all because there is an unwritten pact that the teammates next to you will. They're all chasing the same goal where 100% effort and accountability counts. 

There is a reason why guys who loaft or aren't all in are called locker room cancers.

Yes, but that pact is built with trust and trust don't happen within a few months. It's take time to build a commodore and Vontae wasn't there long enough to have that to begin with.  We see players all the time breaking off of their own assignments mid-game to cover for a teammate because he don't trust him to do his job properly.

Don't underestimate the ego that these players have. 

14 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm saying that you give your all because there is an unwritten pact that the teammates next to you will.

Yeah pretty sure that's not why you do that. You do it because you like playing football (and not playing hard would most likely get you benched), you are competitive, or because the benefits you get from it will stop if you don't ( scholarship or your salary). In all my years playing football I never once thought I am gonna make this play because my teammates have my back!

I think it is a little naive and precious to think just because players have to talk to the media, and are PR trained, that you have to buy the narrative they are kinda forced to give.

32 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's beyond the point. This whole debacle is a point of character, or lack thereof. You don't bail on your teammates. You play for each other out there; those 'fragile' Bills players put it on the line for Vontae, and Vontae turned his back on them.

I'm sure there is more to this story that will surface. 

The whole “teammate” thing is a little overdone imo.

These are coworkers, many of who he probably has a basic professional relationship with at most.

This isn’t a bunch of guys who grew up together playing HS football together.

I’m not saying he handled it well or anything, but I don’t know how much he owes them just because they’re his teammates. Some of these dudes he’s known for a week or two.

49 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Pretty ridiculous comparison either way. It's a game, dude. This line of thinking is toxic and outdated. 

Don't think he handled it well by bailing, but at the end of the day its his decision. Certainly tough to judge him for it. 

For us fans, it is a game.  For the coaches and players its more than a game.  It is their profession and how they feed their families.  

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Not when you think about it.  If you are in a war and a bunch of cowards in your unit just jump out of their foxholes and run, the battle plan will break down and the chances for defeat are much higher.  You can't run a war that way and expect to win.

That's great. I would definitely think less of the people who would be willing to take part in his shooting than the person who decided he couldn't kill people anymore. And I would hope they would go to jail as long as they possibly could.

And I doubt you go into war expecting no casualties on your side, that would be a horrible way of planning. And him quitting is equivalent to a casualty as far as 'on the field' happenings go.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

That's great. I would definitely think less of the people who would be willing to take part in his shooting than the person who decided he couldn't kill people anymore. And I would hope they would go to jail as long as they possibly could.

And I doubt you go into war expecting no casualties on your side, that would be a horrible way of planning. And him quitting is equivalent to a casualty as far as 'on the field' happenings go.

Although I would love to tell you what I think of that statement, I won't, because discussion about politics is forbidden on FF, and we are getting dangerously close to stepping over that line.  Instead, I will just take the high road and agree to disagree with you.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Although I would love to tell you what I think of that statement, I won't, because discussion about politics is forbidden on FF, and we are getting dangerously close to stepping over that line.  Instead, I will just take the high road and agree to disagree with you.

A man who listens to his authorities...

(I don't know the correct punchline. Was gonna go with the sarcastic 'unexpected'. Or maybe 'bravo'. I don't know)

(Also it wasn't meant to be offensive, just a joke that I thought was funny).

Archived