GDT: Week 3 - Cowboys at Seahawks - Winner gets Earl Thomas

Texas_OutLaw7

I have been done with the coaching staff for some time now.  Richard is the only one worth a damn at this point.  Sadly, I don't know if we'll actually see change even with a bad year.  We desperately need a change there.

Our defense looks to be much improved, but our offense is going to make that a moot point.  We are impotent on that side of the ball besides Elliott, who we are deciding not to feature for some reason.  Dak's performances are a big issue now and it has caused me to lose confidence in him, which is unfortunate given the promise he showed in Year 1.  If he does not improve massively by the end of the year, finding a QB needs to be a priority.  It seems everything else around him needs to be playing at a high level and I can't say he's getting much help from a lack of weapons, an OL that looks much worse, and inept coaching.  Despite that, Dak does need to be accountable for his play to some degree and his level of play has been nowhere near where it needs to be since the 2nd half of last year.

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Ridley would've been nice. But he has Matt Ryan throwing him the ball 

Julio Jones, considered by many, the top WR in football, caught only 3 tds all of last year. He had Matt Ryan throwing as well. But what does Atlanta do? they get one of the top WRs in the draft. Why? they acknowledged the need for another weapon to stop teams from doubling up on Jones.

what does Dallas do after losing an aging Witten and Dez? put 7 WRs and 5 TEs on the roster who are basically just plug in nobody specials or even worse. 

Sometimes "you get what you pay for" 

9 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Julio Jones, considered by many, the top WR in football, caught only 3 tds all of last year. He had Matt Ryan throwing as well. But what does Atlanta do? they get one of the top WRs in the draft. Why? they acknowledged the need for another weapon to stop teams from doubling up on Jones.

what does Dallas do after losing an aging Witten and Dez? put 7 WRs and 5 TEs on the roster who are basically just plug in nobody specials or even worse. 

Sometimes "you get what you pay for" 

I wanted Derwin 1st, then Ridley second so I agree with everything you are saying. But even with Ridley on this team, do you believe that Dak could consistently hit him down the field like Matt Ryan did today? 

1 minute ago, Tony7188 said:

I wanted Derwin 1st, then Ridley second so I agree with everything you are saying. But even with Ridley on this team, do you believe that Dak could consistently hit him down the field like Matt Ryan did today? 

probably not. of course if Ridley was on Dallas, he probably would be running 7 yd slant ins or button hooks.

10 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

probably not. of course if Ridley was on Dallas, he probably would be running 7 yd slant ins or button hooks.

Exactly. So Dak Prescott and the coaching staff are problems with this team.

It's just really hard to believe that Linehan is calling plays where the WRs are not running down the field. So while Linehan is a problem, Dak Prescott is the bigger problem. His pocket awareness, anticipation and overall arm talent is not there.

2 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Exactly. So the problem is Dak and the coaching staff. But I seriously doubt Linehan is calling plays where WRs are not running down the field. So while Linehan is a problem, Dak Prescott is the bigger problem. His pocket awareness, anticipation and overall arm talent is not there.

This is where we disagree. The problem, IMO, is more coaching and lack of talent at the "weapon positions" than Dak. 

Not claiming Dak is not without his own problems, but the amount of blame is getting out of control for Dak.

After the game, Terry Bradshaw and the Fox crew talked about the problems with Dallas and the offense. SL (play-calling and creativity/predictability) and the lack of weapons were the subject of the criticism not Dak. So at least I am not alone in that regard.

Dak has more than a handful of issues. And again, if you're not concerned you really should be. There are bad tendencies showing in his game. That said, there are a multitude of problems on the offensive side beyond Dak's control.  Head Coach. Game plans. Play calls. Nobody at WR. Nobody at TE. OL break downs. Linehan. Moore. Alexander.

Dak isn't anywhere good enough to make up for it all.

What do you guys think of Lincoln Riley?  He's the best offensive mind in college football and he is a genius with QB's and playing to their strengths.  Baker Mayfield was great under Riley and currently Kyler Murray is a top 5 Heisman candidate. 

Riley is a really young guy who is in his mid 30's, but he might be worth looking at if the Cowboys might replace their head coach. 

There’s just too many poor throws every game, I would guess, 25-30% uncatchable throws 

they are drive killers

i think the first drive this game, a wr ran a stop/comeback, was, wide open

dak throws it over his head, out of bounds

dead drive. Pro qbs can afford to have those throws as consistently as dak does

nothing to do with coaching, just inaccurate and inconsistent qb play

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

What do you guys think of Lincoln Riley?  He's the best offensive mind in college football and he is a genius with QB's and playing to their strengths.  Baker Mayfield was great under Riley and currently Kyler Murray is a top 5 Heisman candidate. 

Riley is a really young guy who is in his mid 30's, but he might be worth looking at if the Cowboys might replace their head coach. 

Would definitely be interested and he has to be on the radar, but he's going to be on every teams radar. At this point though, every time I hear Riley's name my mind immediately goes to Cleveland and how their season plays out.  

27 minutes ago, showtime said:

From what I heard I would be willing to take him in a heartbeat

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Exactly. So Dak Prescott and the coaching staff are problems with this team.

It's just really hard to believe that Linehan is calling plays where the WRs are not running down the field. So while Linehan is a problem, Dak Prescott is the bigger problem. His pocket awareness, anticipation and overall arm talent is not there.

EXACTLY. His lack of awareness and slowness to react caused him to sack himself twice today, both of which were situations with wide open receivers.

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

This is where we disagree. The problem, IMO, is more coaching and lack of talent at the "weapon positions" than Dak. 

Not claiming Dak is not without his own problems, but the amount of blame is getting out of control for Dak.

After the game, Terry Bradshaw and the Fox crew talked about the problems with Dallas and the offense. SL (play-calling and creativity/predictability) and the lack of weapons were the subject of the criticism not Dak. So at least I am not alone in that regard.

We all know that it’s a combination of all of those factors. No single issue is the sole contributor to this mess. They all play a role here.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

If we were to dip into the college ranks for a coach who isn’t a retread, I’d prefer Kirby Smart. I like coaches who obsess over minutiae, fundamentals, and technique. I’m not saying that Lincoln Riley doesn’t (because I honestly don’t know), but it’s well known that Kirby Smart does.

Archived