RB Frank Gore: 4th all-time rusher

FinSting

33 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

If both Martin, and Riggins are allowed in I don't see why Gore shouldn't be. 

This is a slippery slope, though.

If you recognize Martin/Riggins perhaps shouldn’t be HOFers, would you rather it be that the voters recognize their mistake and raise the bar or now have the bar lowered for all incoming RBs? Definitely the former, for me. Rather make the mistake once than continually, precedent or not.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

If you recognize Martin/Riggins perhaps shouldn’t be HOFers, would you rather it be that the voters recognize their mistake and raise the bar or now have the bar lowered for all incoming RBs? Definitely the former, for me. Rather make the mistake once than continually, precedent or not.

I think the bar should stay the way it is. Which means continue to be inconsistent. Seems only fair. 

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I've never understood how anyone could say Martin and Riggins weren't easy HOF selections. They weren't compilers like Frank Gore, we still saw greatness from them in the second to last season of their careers.

9 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

So if Gore gets to third all time, does anyone still dispute whether he deserves it?

It will just mean the compiling will continue, with Gore adding to his collection of 60 yard rushing days. It's not going to help his legacy, or get him into the HOF any faster. It will mean Gore will be healthy enough to deliver more mediocre performances in  meaningless games in 2019.      

1 hour ago, LaserFocus said:

I've never understood how anyone could say Martin and Riggins weren't easy HOF selections. They weren't compilers like Frank Gore, we still saw greatness from them in the second to last season of their careers.

Compiler? Like when HoF RB Emmitt Smith compiled a 3.5 YPC average in his final four seasons and broke Payton's all-time rushing record? 

Last season was a good one for Gore as he's a complete RB that runs, catches and blocks. With Colts' QB Luck on IR for the whole season, everyone knew it would be Gore left, Gore right, Gore up the middle. And yet even with the odds stacked against him (father time, weak o-line) he still had a nicely productive season. 

He's on a 1-yr deal with Miami, curious how things play out...

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

Compiler? Like when HoF RB Emmitt Smith compiled a 3.5 YPC average in his final four seasons and broke Payton's all-time rushing record? 

Last season was a good one for Gore as he's a complete RB that runs, catches and blocks. With Colts' QB Luck on IR for the whole season, everyone knew it would be Gore left, Gore right, Gore up the middle. And yet even with the odds stacked against him (father time, weak o-line) he still had a nicely productive season. 

He's on a 1-yr deal with Miami, curious how things play out...

Gore's been a mediocre back for years, and has still complied more carries than Emmitt Smith did since Smith's decline began in 2001. And we really don't want to be comparing Gore with Emmitt Smith, who was clearly a superior back. I have no doubt Miami will take Gore back at a minimum next season, they can use the PR value of his slow climb on the rushing charts. For the rest of us, it's been tough to watch. I predict it will take Gore several years to reach Canton, he's not helping himself with these meaningless games. 

3 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

I predict it will take Gore several years to reach Canton, he's not helping himself with these meaningless games. 

Fins brought Gore in to produce in 2018, not for past accomplishments. Did you miss the first post mentioning how Gore converted a 3rd and 19 last Sunday, allowing Miami to keep the ball and run out the clock? Jets had momentum after scoring two unanswered TD's, and with enough time on the clock for them to score again, Gore's play was crucial.

4th quarter, game on the line, Gore made a play. Nothing 'meaningless' about it. 

I understand the pejorative nature of the "compiler" comments

But if you take a step back and think about it - its not an unworthy accomplishment. College ball sends a fresh wave of younger backs into the league every year- trying to take the job of the silverback veterans. And Gore has held off wave after wave of fresher legs.... for a very long time. Its really a hell of an accomplishment, especially at the RB position. Its a position that is devalued in the NFL and many teams simply grab another fresher one because of the immense supply available. Anybody who lasts for 200 games in the NFL is remarkable - even more so for a running back

To be able to continue your career despite the pounding, the low positional value and the high supply of replacements is notable. If you combine that with several years of being at the top of your sport - you can make a decent case for many of these RBs getting into the HOF. Terrell Davis had a few great years, but he couldn't pull off the compiling portion of his career because of the wear and tear of the NFL. Gore did.

So why wouldn't we salute the ones who did both - great years AND remarkable durability & staying power ?

5 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Disagree

Martin and Riggins were compilers. Martin only averaged 4.0 ypc for his career and never had a ypc over 4.6. He is also third all time in carries and averaged a whopping 21 carries per a game in 11 years. Riggins was never efficient and made his money as a goal line RB. 

If both of those guys are in, it hard to keep Gore out. 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

So why wouldn't we salute the ones who did both - great years AND remarkable durability & staying power ?

I think many people don’t subscribe to a player getting into the HOF when they were never the best player at their position for some period of time.

If Matthew Stafford plays as many games as say, Peyton Manning, he’d be on pace to be the all-time passing leader. He’s the owner of one of the few 5,000 yard, 40+ TD seasons there are. Doesn’t have a championship, like Gore. I doubt any see him as a future HOFer right now. 

I don’t think that excluding a player from the HOF means that we’re not celebrating a player’s careers or accomplishments. The two don’t have to go hand-in-hand. 

Aside from the bulk yardage due to longevity (I view this as a plus, unlike many it seems), the guy was/is a:

*5 time Pro Bowler (legitimate, unlike the QB's who find themselves in it as alternates due to injuries and Super Bowls)

*4.4 YPC average (solid)

*Almost 100 total TD (He has 94)

*You could make the argument that in his prime he was the best/one of the best (He led the NFL in All Purpose yards in 2006)

*For a 5 year period of time (his prime), he was a legitimate rushing and receiving threat...on HORRIBLE San Francisco teams

For most RBs, those are HOF numbers even aside from bulk yards, which he definitely has.

Archived