RB Frank Gore: 4th all-time rusher

FinSting

Love Frank. Accomplishing this with his injuries before entering the league and basically facing stack boxes due to QB play most of his careeer  makes this a very surprising achievement. With the way the league is going with committees and RBs asking to make plays off of screens and dump offs may be a while until another guy gets this high. 

1 hour ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Doesn't belong in the HOF, but then again, neither do Curtis Martin or Franco Harris.

Was very good, but never great.

And that's still way better than Martin and especially Harris, who truly wasn't even an NFL caliber RB. 

Between this and the loads of other thought vomit Ive seen you spew on here, I think you may literally be the dumbest poster Ive ever seen on FF.    Quite the accomplishment.

39 minutes ago, LA Niner Fan said:

basically facing stack boxes due to QB play most of his careeer  makes this a very surprising achievement. 

I'm going to go ahead and put on my amazing wizard hat and predict that he only faced stacked boxes so much because the Niners lined up in formations that brought defenders in close, with extra blockers.

The infamous "Adrian Peterson basically rushed against 8 or 9 men in the box his entire career" myth/misunderstanding is one of the most persistent in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I'm going to go ahead and put on my amazing wizard hat and predict that he only faced stacked boxes so much because the Niners lined up in formations that brought defenders in close, with extra blockers.

The infamous "Adrian Peterson basically rushed against 8 or 9 men in the box his entire career" myth/misunderstanding is one of the most persistent in the NFL.

Well that’s definitely part of it but for the first half of his time on the Niners in the Nolan/ Singletary era is was also necessary because of poor QB play As well. Good running games can succeed even if you know it’s coming but until Harbaugh the Blocking was bad, we play was bad and play calling was awful. And of course AD did this and even won MVP doing it but he’s an all timer also. 

This is interesting because Frank Gore has never been considered an elite running back.  He probably has seasons where he has put up elite stats, but he just has never been in that same stratosphere as guys like Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson.  Amazing accomplishment.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, NFLExpert49 said:

Doesn't belong in the HOF, but then again, neither do Curtis Martin or Franco Harris.

And that's still way better than Martin and especially Harris, who truly wasn't even an NFL caliber RB. 

So someone who ran for over 1,000 yards in 8 seasons (5 of those coming in a 14 game schedule) scoring 100 total TDs, STILL second in NFL history in rushing yards during the postseason, and finished his career at the time in the top 3 of all time rushing yards wasn't a NFL  caliber RB??

I've read some idiotic things on here but this is definitely right up. What a moronic statement.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, NFLExpert49 said:

Says NFLExpert.....

You should change your name to "NFLExile49".

On 9/17/2018 at 11:58 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Between this and the loads of other thought vomit Ive seen you spew on here, I think you may literally be the dumbest poster Ive ever seen on FF.    Quite the accomplishment.

15 hours ago, Livewire said:

So someone who ran for over 1,000 yards in 8 seasons (5 of those coming in a 14 game schedule) scoring 100 total TDs, STILL second in NFL history in rushing yards during the postseason, and finished his career at the time in the top 3 of all time rushing yards wasn't a NFL  caliber RB??

I've read some idiotic things on here but this is definitely right up. What a moronic statement.

What an embarrassing bunch of football amateurs on this forum. Truly horrific. 

Neither of you have ever even seen Franco Harris play. If you did, you wouldn't be spewing such unfathomable stupidity.

I implore all of you: Watch any game the Steelers played when Franco Harris was there (there are a bunch on Youtube), and actually watch him. The guy could not break a tackle to save his life. 

Harris was the softest running back to ever play professional football. Bar none. The moment somebody so much as touched him, he went down. If a 165-pound dime back so much as clipped his legs, he went down. Every. Single. Time.

Watch. Him. Play. I promise you, you will change your mind. 

When a running back can't break tackles, he is not a good running back.

Literally every single running back to ever play professional football can gain yards when he's untouched. And virtually every yard Harris ever gained was from doing exactly that. He entered the hole, and as soon as somebody touched him, that was the end of his run. 

Harris was not a Top 500 running back in NFL history. He just wasn't. It's just ludicrous to even try to argue he was when you can watch just about any other running back in NFL history and see him breaking more tackles in one game than Harris broke in his entire career. 

Just pick any random running back. BenJarvus Green-Ellis? Infinitely better running back than Franco Harris.

Harris was the worst running back on his own team every year he was there. The best running back the Steelers had in the 70s was Sidney Thornton. Rocky Bleier was a 16th round pick and a borderline NFL talent himself, but even he was still clearly better than Harris. He could break a tackle every now and then. Harris did not.

There's a reason you can't find any real highlights videos of Harris, and of the ones you do find, about 50% of it will be playing the "Immaculate Reception" over and over again from different angles.

It's because there's just nothing there. He never broke tackles, he wasn't really a make-you-miss guy, and while he had good straight line speed for his size, he only had 5 TDs of 40+ yards in his career (and only 11 of 20+). 

So who wants to watch a "highlight" video of a guy going into a gaping hole and getting tackled by the first guy who touches him? 

Travis Jervey was a better running back than Franco Harris. 

Archived