2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Nah, If Q. Williams is a once in a decade DT, give me that 100 times out of 100 over a non-generational EDGE.

longer shelf-life, will hit prime later in career, better value after 1st contract.

My train of thought as well. Especially given the success of Aaron Donald.

7 minutes ago, GFXBUCKZ said:

looks like Deionte Thompson is entering the draft 

I don’t believe he’s worthy of a 1st rd pick. He looked really bad his last two games. Basically looked like Clinton dix in pursuit 

Good. He'll eat up another draft pick between 13 and 31 (assuming we have 32).

9 minutes ago, GFXBUCKZ said:

looks like Deionte Thompson is entering the draft 

I don’t believe he’s worthy of a 1st rd pick. He looked really bad his last two games. Basically looked like Clinton dix in pursuit 

Not surprised because someone told him he's a first round pick. As long as he's not a first round pick by the Packers, I'll be a happy camper. 

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem:

I would love if they took two pass rushers some time at 12, Saints and and 44.
Something like: Allen/Polite/Burns paired with Anthony Nelson or Zach Allen
Give me a small weak side burner/bender and a long dominator

Yup. Only reason I don't do this is if we pay up and land an EDGE in FA.

You need three things to win Super Bowls:

1. Coach/QB experience in the playoffs (The Eagles are the sole outlier in this one).
2. A good quarterback (Check)
3. Defense

So far, the winning teams in the playoffs have allowed: 

7 points
22 points
17 points
15 points

22 points
13 points
*22 points (not over yet)

Scoring across the NFL has gone up this year, and yet STILL, teams are not winning without keeping teams under the NFL average of 23 points per game. 

Below are the defensive points per game allowed by all 52 Super Bowl winners in their post seasons. 

The average defensive points allowed over 52 years of Super Bowl history is 13.3 points per playoff game. 

Only 4 quarterbacks (Montana, Warner, Brees, Roethlisberger) have won a Super Bowl when their team has allowed over 19 points per playoff game. 

The highest average defensive points allowed to win a Super Bowl was Joe Montana at 24 points per game.  In his other two Super Bowl games, he only needed to score an average of 8 points and 7 points in order to win. 

The 85 Bears had the best average.  They allowed a whopping 3.3 points per game in their three playoff games. 

I was going to factor in defensive points scored by Super Bowl winning teams, and I might do that at some point, but I think what I've got is enough to prove my point. 

This entire QB thing has got to go.  You need a good QB to win a Super Bowl.  As this list proves, you don't need a great one.  Most of the years the greatest ones won, the QB didn't even have all that great a postseason.  Peyton won one while throwing 2 total touchdowns and an interception (including 0 Super Bowl touchdowns) throughout the postseason.  He won his other one while throwing 3 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in the postseason.  Aaron Rodgers had his worst game in the NFC Championship game.  Tom Brady was carried to his first Super Bowl win that kicked off a dynasty and helped make Brady who he is. 

Eagles - 16.6
Patriots - 18.0
Broncos - 14.6
Patriots - 18.3
Seahawks - 13.3
Ravens - 18.0
Giants - 14.0
Packers - 19.0
Saints - 19.6
Steelers - 19.6
Giants - 16.3
Colts - 12.8 (You think any QB is winning a Super Bowl throwing 3 TD/7INT in 4 games without that defense?)
Steelers - 15.5
Patriots - 17.0
Patriots - 19.0
Buccaneers - 12.3
Patriots - 15.6
Ravens - 5.7
Rams - 19.6
Broncos - 10.6
Broncos 16.3
Packers - 16.0
Cowboys - 18.3
Niners - 18.3
Cowboys - 17.0
Cowboys - 15.7
Redskins - 13.7
Giants - 11.7
Niners - 15
Niners - 7 (Joe Montana was so fantastic only having to score an average of 8 points)
Redskins - 12.3
Giants - 7.7
Bears - 3.3
Niners - 6.3 (Montana was so fantastic only having to score an average of a touchdown)
Raiders - 11.0
Redskins - 10.3
Niners - 24 (This one was the most impressive Super Bowl win from a QB from a points against perspective, but Montana threw 6 touchdowns to 4 interceptions in 3 games).  
Raiders - 12.5
Steelers - 13.0
Steelers - 12.3
Cowboys - 7.7
Raiders - 14.0
Steelers - 12.3
Steelers - 9.0
Dolphins - 8.7
Dolphins - 10.3
Cowboys - 5.3
Colts - 10.0
Chiefs - 4.3
Jets - 12.3
Packers - 10.3
Packers - 18.5 (two games)

In summary, we need to add talent on this defense in the draft.  I know we've missed on some defensive players, but we've also hit on some.  Our two best defenders are Clark and Alexander.  Both first round picks, both huge building blocks. 

Offense is more fun to watch, but you cannot compete in the playoffs without the talent on defense. 

Archived