2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Charley Casserely Mock:

GB @ #12 - Jonah Williams - OL - Green Bay needs pass rushers, but protecting Aaron Rodgers takes priority. (Four EDGE taken in top 5 picks).
GB @ #30 - Irv Smith - TE - Smith is the second-best tight end in the draft. (Hockenson to DET @ #8).

Would be pleased with this.  Assuming Gute addresses OLB in FA.  Possible it could work out this way.  With all the talent in the draft it may drive down contracts in FA.  Not totally off the reservation scenario.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Anyone else wondering where all this Josh Jacobs hype came from? To me Montgomery from Iowa State is the best RB in this draft.

P.S. got the Combine recording and watching after work. Don't spoil times for me in this thread.

@Packerraymond

Polite just weighed in at 6'3", 270#.  33 in length arms.  Start up that Polite band wagon for Packerraymond!!!!

21 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I don't understand why people are so bearish. The problems the team has are pretty easy to fix. They need an EDGE, an OG, and a safety. You never plug every hole, but this particular offseason offers a ton of options to fix the very problems GB has. It's not like we need a franchise LT.

Agreed.  People act like we're one Rodgers injury away from being the '17 Browns.  We're flawed, not bad.  Sign an EDGE, grab a veteran OG, and a quality safety and you're looking at a much better roster in 2019.  We've got a good core.

18 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I see a few too many holes that need to be patched up for one offseason, at least to be a contender.  Didn't the Bills make the playoffs in 2017? They weren't contenders.

We need 2 starting safeties.  Our TE position is the shell of Jimmy Graham.  Depending on what you think of Kyler Fackrell, we probably need 2 more contributors at OLB.  ILB has one player, and no depth.  We need at least one guard, and IMO Taylor is a guy you don't pay third contract money to, so 2 would be nice.  Some of this comes from FAs.  Some of this comes from draft picks.  Some of this comes from internal improvement.  Tall order for one season, IMO.

We're sitting on some $34M in cap space and we have 3 picks in the top 44.  We will be fine.  Go out and sign a veteran EDGE (think Shaq Barrett, Anthony Barr, etc.), sign a quality safety (doesn't necessarily need to be Earl Thomas), and grab a veteran OG to plug into the RG position.  With our picks, you can grab an EDGE, S, and TE somewhere in the first two days.

15 hours ago, Lodestar said:

You're like the fifth person to reply to my post by saying "That will never happen." It's a hypothetical question!!! Obviously San Francisco is unlikely to draft anyone over Bosa, but it wouldn't shock me if they traded their pick to a team coming up to grab Haskins or Murray. 

The question is simply "If Bosa were available at #3, how much would you give up to get him?" It's not a frigging prediction.

Because I generally don't like answering these random hypotheticals.  I mean, would I do Blake Martinez and a SRP for Luke Kuechly?  Sure, but that's not going to happen so I'm not going to spend the time to even discuss the merits of a potential trade.  Bosa would have to fall to around the 6th pick for me to even consider a move up, and we've got a better chance of a kicker or punter going first overall than that happening.  San Francisco is going to need the moon (and then some) to move off that pick.  They're the one team in the top 3 that have no reason to pass on Bosa.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Anyone else wondering where all this Josh Jacobs hype came from? To me Montgomery from Iowa State is the best RB in this draft.

P.S. got the Combine recording and watching after work. Don't spoil times for me in this thread.

Rodney Anderson is the best RB in this year's class, but the medicals are a mess with him.  Montgomery is a solid back, but there's nothing special about him.  Not a huge fan of Jacobs, but he's a relatively clean back.  Should be a solid back.

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Well, apparently, several post-Combine mocks have Rashan Gary falling to us at #12 with various teams looking for QBs. :D

There's no way you don't pull the trigger there, right? Even if he's not used as an edge rusher as consistently as we'd like for such a high pick (though he has the ability to play both 5 tech and edge rusher, which is a plus in Pettine's defense).

At 12?  Hell no.  There's SIGNIFICANTLY more prospects that have a similar ceiling with a much, much higher floor.  It becomes a discussion at 30, but certainly not at 12.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Charley Casserely Mock:

GB @ #12 - Jonah Williams - OL - Green Bay needs pass rushers, but protecting Aaron Rodgers takes priority. (Four EDGE taken in top 5 picks).
GB @ #30 - Irv Smith - TE - Smith is the second-best tight end in the draft. (Hockenson to DET @ #8).

Given where Jonah Williams' measurements came out, he's out of consideration at 12.  He won't fall to 30, but I'd probably give him consideration there.

Just now, CWood21 said:

At 12?  Hell no.  There's SIGNIFICANTLY more prospects that have a similar ceiling with a much, much higher floor.  It becomes a discussion at 30, but certainly not at 12.

There's no way he lasts to 30, though, but yeah, the production I don't think would warrant the high pick.

Just now, KManX89 said:

There's no way he lasts to 30, though, but yeah, the production I don't think would warrant the high pick.

I'm willing to run that risk.  If we're going the "risk" side, I'd rather gamble on someone like Burns.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because I generally don't like answering these random hypotheticals.  I mean, would I do Blake Martinez and a SRP for Luke Kuechly?  Sure, but that's not going to happen so I'm not going to spend the time to even discuss the merits of a potential trade.  Bosa would have to fall to around the 6th pick for me to even consider a move up, and we've got a better chance of a kicker or punter going first overall than that happening.  San Francisco is going to need the moon (and then some) to move off that pick.  They're the one team in the top 3 that have no reason to pass on Bosa.

Then don't.  Not every question needs your answer.  Not trying to be a smart ***, but you're a moderator, not an oracle.

BTW, Rodney Anderson is not the best RB in the draft.  You have to be able to be on the field for that title and he's hurt more than Aaron Jones.  This draft has no 'best RB', I hope we don't spend a pick before the 4th round on one.

Archived