2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

14 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I don't know if we need to have Bosa (would love it though).  We should take this opportunity to get a Blue Chip though.  We need to identify how many and try to secure one of them.  Bosa/QWilliams/JAllen.  I see one of them slipping to #5 or #6, that's when I would vote to pounce.  With FA now a possibility with Gute, holes could be filled that way.  Trading two of our first three picks for a playmaker seems like a reasonable move. All depends on what/who Gute sees as a playmaker. 

Three 'Red' players are not as valuable as a 'Blue' and a 'Red'.

I agree.  But the team looking to move out was #3.  

But if I really knew the answer, I would be in Indy right now instead of wasting time here in my office.  :D

Giving up picks #12, #30, #44 for #3 will not get Bosa. He'll be gone in the first 2 picks. I don't see a QB in the top 2 picks this year, it will be N.Bosa and Q.Williams in whatever order.

Worse than that, giving up those three picks for one, tells me the GM doesn't have confidence in his picks, because if those three picks all become solid prospects, the TEAM is better than with just one, even if that one is Bosa.

A good edge guy like Ferrell or Polite, plus a good tackle like Taylor or Dillard or Risner, plus a good safety like Thornhill or Gardner-Johnson, should help this team, a lot.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Think you're underestimating the loss of  Fangio, Ed Donatell, et al. He's more important to that defense than Mack " being in football shape".

I didn't say a rookie EDGE was going to turn the team around. We've got a lot more ammo than that in the draft,  free agency, and player development.

Think you are underestimating Chuck Pagono who was a tremendous defensive coach before going to Indy.  This Chicago defense will be one of the most talented defenses he's ever worked with.  Not sure it's going to be terribly different than what Vic Fangio did.  Before Fangio went to Stanford, they worked on the same John Harbaugh Ravens staff together for a couple seasons.  Not all that worried about Chicago.  Think we should focus on beating Detroit, who's kicked our teeth in over the last 2 years.  It's been a long, long time since Green Bay has went 2 years with 4 losses to the Lions. 

If we drop 3 top 50 picks on one player our draft ammo is all but gone.  Given what we've seen from the majority of the last 4 drafts I don't think player development is all that dependable right now.  Yes, we have a  little salary cap space but so does the rest of the league.  We're actually below the league average when it comes to salary cap space and we're having to add or replace a plethora of starters.  

22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Man you guys are much more bearish on 2019/2020 than me. Wouldn't be surprised if we make the playoffs both years.

We haven't beat Detroit in 2 seasons.  IMO, we're a lot closer to being a bottom 5 team in the NFL than a top 5 one.  Given the drastic regression we've seen over the last 2 years, I'd be extremely surprised if we make the playoffs this coming season.  I'm not convinced that a new coach is going to come in and fix everything especially when a lack of talent is staring us in the face.  Getting only 5 or 6 quality starters out of our last 5 drafts has really caught up to us.  

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Man you guys are much more bearish on 2019/2020 than me. Wouldn't be surprised if we make the playoffs both years.

I think with the right off-season we are right back in the hunt, but we need quite a bit and we need some big hits in FA, especially at SAF and EDGE. Can't afford to strike out there. 

17 hours ago, Lodestar said:

If Haskins and Murray (or Quinnen Williams) were to go #1 and #2, what would you be willing to give up for the #3 pick? According to the draft chart I'm looking at, our #12, #30 and #44 picks would be enough to get to #3 with probably a 4th or 5th coming back our way. That's a lot to give for one player. Would you do it?

I would pass, especially since there is a 99% chance Bosa won't be there and we have way too many needs. I would probably rather take three edge players at #12, #30, and #44 than take one Edge at #3.

More fullback excerpts from Packers.com and Packersnews.com.

The Packers’ head coach also believes in the value of the fullback position and thinks highly of Dan Vitale’s skill set, but he also had experience in 2017 of playing without one when he was the offensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams. 

“Certainly if you have one, it can definitely give you an advantage on offense,” LaFleur said of the fullback.

“With Danny, we really liked him in the draft process,” Gutekunst said. “We thought he had a skillset that we could use. Thought he could be good on (special) teams as well. I think if you can have one you’d always like to have one because it allows you to do things that you can’t do if you don’t have one. He’s got to be good enough. I think Dan has a chance.”

LaFleur remains a proponent for the position. He noted how a fullback could have made a difference for the Rams after New England sold out to stop LA’s run game in Super Bowl LIII.

“New England was not going to allow the Rams to run their outside zone to the weak side. It was not going to happen the way they were structurally,” LaFleur said. “That’s where you could have used a fullback to get some of those strong side pull-flow runs and what not. But again, if we have the right guy.”

It seems they are hoping that Vitale will grab hold of the fullback gig. They sound intent in incorporating the fullback back into our offence again. Yay! :D

I think we will use a late round pick on a fullback or pick up an undrafted FA to compete with Vitale. ATM I'm not having much luck finding a viable draft prospect. The fullback in our offence obviously needs to be around 240lbs in order to block sufficiently in the NFL and he probably needs to have decent receiving chops too based on Gute cryptic hint at fullback being used differently from what we're used to. Unfortunately the draft prospects i'm seeing so far are block/rush types rather than block/catch types. I'm not seeing a Vitale type highlight vid so far. I might have better luck looking at potential undersized TE converts. Otherwise we have options in free agency with guys like Orsen Charles, Jamize Olawale, Tommy Bohanon and Tre Madden. 

4 hours ago, SSG said:

We haven't beat Detroit in 2 seasons.  IMO, we're a lot closer to being a bottom 5 team in the NFL than a top 5 one.  Given the drastic regression we've seen over the last 2 years, I'd be extremely surprised if we make the playoffs this coming season.  I'm not convinced that a new coach is going to come in and fix everything especially when a lack of talent is staring us in the face.  Getting only 5 or 6 quality starters out of our last 5 drafts has really caught up to us.  

IMO from watching the league and our team for the last 15 years if we can get some solid returns from the last draft class in year 2 we'll be in the playoffs. The coach will help but good drafting, again IMO, has a bigger impact on wins. If last year's draft class turns out to be solid then we'll have at least 8 wins this season.

Archived