2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Burns would get plenty of field time year one.

Or let me put it this way.......
Down and distance calls for a hearty pass rush. You slide Z inside.
Who you rather on the field.....Burns or Fackrell and/or Gilbert? 

I'd rather Burns be a spectator for a while while he learns his craft.  He's raw.  For him?  I'll give him plenty of time.  I just don't expect him to be that good right away.  I actually expect him to get thrown around pretty good.  For the first 8 games or so, I hope we see Fack/Gilbert.  After 8 games, more snaps should go up for Burns.  Then watch out for him in years 2+.  That is when he is going to shine.

7 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Hockenson is a funny one for me and a guy I keep coming back to. There are plenty of options I prefer at #12 (Oliver, Burns, OL, trade down) but Hock is such an ideal fit in MLF's offense that I think he could have a big impact from day one, probably more so than any wide receiver. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick, nor would I be disappointed.

You might be right. I'm reading/hearing all sorts of stuff on how TJ fits the bill.

And I'd be cool with it cause then Gutes gonna put a trade deal together - trade up to 13 - and take Burns.  HA!

TJ, Burns....then chill our jets till round 2....when we get ourselves a FS  :)

Dont worry guys.....I got this draft down   LOL

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's because outside of 1265 Lombardi Ave. and GB fans, no one really cares about MVS and ESB nor sees them as a viable No. 2 option. 

I could see MVS as a viable #2 option. May not be tomorrow, but I bet he makes a push late in the regular season unless he has a sophomore slump.

Also, I'm not sold that Butler is a WR1 entering the league. He may develop into one, but he is way too inconsistent both at the point of production and at from a technique stance.

Ran a draft at The Draft Network...been a little while.  I think I'm "done" and will just stand on this one.

#12..Brian Burns, EDGE.

#30...Noah Fant, TE.

#44...AJ Brown, WR.

#75...Amani Hooker, S.

#114...Tytus Howard, OT.

#118...Daniel Wise, DL.

#150...Devine Ozibo, RB.

#185...Cameron Sutton, LB.

#194...Michael Jordan, G.

#226....Tim Harris, CB.

Just now, rcon14 said:

A lot of talk of Hockenson going early, but... who actually needs a TE moreso than something else where the value is there?

Wherever Hockenson lands, I don't think it will be a "need" pick. I think it will be a "we love this guy" pick. Not many "top" TEs in this league so most teams would have a place for him. 

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's because outside of 1265 Lombardi Ave. and GB fans, no one really cares about MVS and ESB nor sees them as a viable No. 2 option. 

There isn't a rookie WR that will produce any better than these guys in their second year. I remember Palmy commenting that people in his office were being taken to task for missing badly on MVS.  ESB's knock was that he grew up in a non-traditional family, but his physical traits were never in question.  I think Gute just couldn't pass either up at that point of the draft...BPA by far.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Wherever Hockenson lands, I don't think it will be a "need" pick. I think it will be a "we love this guy" pick. Not many "top" TEs in this league so most teams would have a place for him. 

I mean, I guess. I'd just think that teams realize the relative ceiling for the vast majority of TEs in this league. And it's not like Hock is some athletic phenom, particularly stretching the field. He ran a 4.7. He's a very well-rounded prospect, but how much should you really value "wow this TE really helps us compared to others in the most inefficient part of our offense" (i.e. the running game)?

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Oliver checks all the boxes for me.  Premium position, excellent athlete, can play right away...etc.  Yah, I'd trade up for him or Allen if they made it to #6.

I can get pretty excited about a bunch of other guys at #12, but none of them checks all the boxes like Oliver.  But...I'd be excited for Burns and his potential.  And I'd not let Year One get me down, cuz he is a project with insane upside.  I can get excited about both White and Bush because we'd be adding a star in the making in the middle of the defense, but...just not a premium position.  I can get excited about Wilkens and Ferrell, too.  Offensive linemen there wouldn't excite me, but I'd be okay with it.  

I'd not get excited for Hock.  And he'd prove me wrong.  

Though I'm an avowed Burns fan, the thought of Oliver lining up next to Clark for the next four years brings a smile to my face.

Classic Thunder and lightning on the DL.  With the Smith boys? Could lead to great things for the DBs.

11 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I mean, I guess. I'd just think that teams realize the relative ceiling for the vast majority of TEs in this league. And it's not like Hock is some athletic phenom, particularly stretching the field. He ran a 4.7. He's a very well-rounded prospect, but how much should you really value "wow this TE really helps us compared to others in the most inefficient part of our offense" (i.e. the running game)?

That's what I'm getting at. I think there's a GM or two who think he's the next Gronk and they'll love the idea of it and draft him, whether that means they over-draft him or not. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

That's what I'm getting at. I think there's a GM or two who think he's the next Gronk and they'll love the idea of it and draft him, whether that means they over-draft him or not. 

That would be so dumb. Gronk is a LT who ran like a WR.

20 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

A lot of talk of Hockenson going early, but... who actually needs a TE moreso than something else where the value is there?

So tight end value is always impossible to peg correctly since it is a position that is simultaneously:

• Elevated due to scarcity.
  • Depressed due to positional value.

I would be neither surprised to see Hockenson go in the top 5 nor would I be surprised if he fell out of the first round.  Always a wide range on the top tight ends.

Archived