Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

Tampa Bay is in for a really interesting offseason. $49mil over the cap. A roster that really underachieved this year.

I would not be shocked to see them fire Bowles and try to chase Sean Payton to try to keep Brady.

Godwin and Evans have deals structured that makes it really hard to trade either one of them.  Moving Donovan Smith saves them about $10mil. But that's a drop in the bucket.  Restructuring Vita Vea only saves $9mil, but trading him saves even less.  Levontae David does nothing so they might as well keep him.  Shaq Mason is the most savings but they are really thin at IOL.  I wouldn't be shocked by Devin White being cut or traded.  Julio is an easy cut.  Cutting Succup and Brate gets them overall to $2.1mil under the cap.

They are a team I would keep an eye on for a willingness to take a lower pick deal in order to move off some money in a new deal for players.  I could see them trying that with one of Godwin or Evans; Brate for a low round pick; Donovan Smith seems like and easy one; and extend and trade with White should be on the table.

41 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’ve considered them in the same boat…both overrated and should at least be on the hot seat.

I don't understand what is so hard to get about the thought that it might be time to A) Mutually separated from Tomlin or B) expect more out of him. This really isn't a comment for in here, but twitter and reddit are ablaze with "for all you Tomlin haters!" posts and I just don't get it. 

How many more years of .500 should we all be cool with? 1, 2....17? If we don't win a playoff game, but also don't have a losing season over the next 5...should we keep extending him?

I am not in the "Tomlin should be fired" camp, but I am in the "Tomlin needs to feel some pressure" one. Something could still happen to the staff, obviously, but as of now it looks like we are going with inaction for the sake of continuity. 

If it works; Tomlin should be commended for seeing the angle and playing it. But if the offense once again gets in the way of success, I think it's time he feels the heat for his decisions in a cut throat business. 

I think it's interesting to see the scouting department branch out and go to places they never went to under Colbert. Who knows, ultimately, if it works.... but sometimes after long stretches with the same position/job/company folks get stuck in their ways of what they know and can get in the way of progress. In a world of analytics, we are the least analytical. In a league built on offense, we are the one basking in sub-mediocrity. 

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but watching the Steelers all year and then the playoffs this weekend it's pretty easy to see one thing not being like the others (outside of the Bucs....good lord Leftwhich....). And, somehow, we seem like the one least looking to conform. 

• Like 2

Ravens are hilarious.

Greg Roman out - who hasn't lasted through a QB's rookie contract anywhere he's been.  Niners 4 years, Bills 3 years, Ravens 3 years. In all three spots he ran the QB into the ground.  In all three spots QB play declined over that course of time too.

Trash their QB all through the end of the season - then say they are 200% committed to him in their end of season press conference.  They are for sure playing media games to try to lower his value and it's backfiring hard because people are blaming them for trying to ruin Lamar.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ravens are hilarious.

Greg Roman out - who hasn't lasted through a QB's rookie contract anywhere he's been.  Niners 4 years, Bills 3 years, Ravens 3 years. In all three spots he ran the QB into the ground.  In all three spots QB play declined over that course of time too.

Trash their QB all through the end of the season - then say they are 200% committed to him in their end of season press conference.  They are for sure playing media games to try to lower his value and it's backfiring hard because people are blaming them for trying to ruin Lamar.

Lamar is a flawed product to start but a better offense would help.  They should grab someone from the Jags to bring that offense to Baltimore.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Lamar is a flawed product to start but a better offense would help.  They should grab someone from the Jags to bring that offense to Baltimore.

I'm......actually not that confident it would.  I think Greg Roman isn't the greatest OC out there, but the reason QB's and Coaches tire of him is he understands his QB's limits and doesn't push them to do things they aren't good at.  I actually think he got the most out of Lamar, and if you ask Lamar to do more, things are going to not go well.

might be the place to ask, who do you have winning these games over this weekend?

also, I thought I  saw/listened to Stacey Dales say that Lane Johnson has only allowed 2 sack in the last 4 years,  is this correct?  Is that a record for a 4 year timeframe?

Edited by 3rivers

On 1/20/2023 at 9:16 AM, warfelg said:

I'm......actually not that confident it would.  I think Greg Roman isn't the greatest OC out there, but the reason QB's and Coaches tire of him is he understands his QB's limits and doesn't push them to do things they aren't good at.  I actually think he got the most out of Lamar, and if you ask Lamar to do more, things are going to not go well.

some uncertainty for the Ravens  going forward, even if they sign Lamar.  Browns got DC Schwartz, so this could make the division more difficult or at least narrow the gap between the teams. AFC North should be better next year.  I found it shocking that while all this Lamar drama was going on, the media never seemed to mention what happened to his former teammate RG3 when his knee catastrophe occurred  while with Washington.  Lamar did the right thing to stay healthy, now lets see where he plays next season .

NFL.com has about 10 teams that will be looking for a QB.  Is that about the usual number of teams looking for a QB every season? It seems a bit high of a number to me but I never kept track over the years. 

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

might be the place to ask, who do you have winning these games over this weekend?

also, I thought I  saw/listened to Stacey Dales say that Lane Johnson has only allowed 2 sack in the last 4 years,  is this correct?  Is that a record for a 4 year timeframe?

NFL stacked the deck against Dallas so I would expect them to lose. 

Other than that, I think Philly, KC and Bengals.

Bengals is my least confident pick.  I think they can beat the Bills but Burrow is going to get killed behind that Oline.

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

NFL stacked the deck against Dallas so I would expect them to lose. 

Other than that, I think Philly, KC and Bengals.

Bengals is my least confident pick.  I think they can beat the Bills but Burrow is going to get killed behind that Oline.

How’d they stack the deck against Dallas? I’m not arguing, I really haven’t been paying attention.