Week Three - Other Games

RpMc

It’s still very much potentially, not certainty. Kickers kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs on a regular basis. Those same kickers from 15 yards further back are still likely to kick it into the end zone. A touchback out of the end zone versus a touchback downed 5 yards deep is still a touchback. Even after the penalty in last night’s game, Cleveland got the ball to the 26 yard line. A whopping 1 yard gain from a touchback. 

Since the NFL moved the extra points back, NFL kickers have been successful on 94% of their extra point kicks. In that same time frame, those kickers have been successful on 78% of their field goals from the 40-49 yard range.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:17 PM, SemperFeist said:

It’s still very much potentially, not certainty. Kickers kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs on a regular basis. Those same kickers from 15 yards further back are still likely to kick it into the end zone. A touchback out of the end zone versus a touchback downed 5 yards deep is still a touchback. Even after the penalty in last night’s game, Cleveland got the ball to the 26 yard line. A whopping 1 yard gain from a touchback. 

When did the NFL switch to a 20-yard end zone?

Most kicks don't leave the end zone. Most are caught 8-yards deep and downed, something a 15-yard penalty certainly affects.

4 hours ago, Klomp said:

When did the NFL switch to a 20-yard end zone?

Most kicks don't leave the end zone. Most are caught 8-yards deep and downed, something a 15-yard penalty certainly affects.

Yeah, I don't know what he meant by "out of the end zone on kickoffs on a regular basis". What I can say, based on queries of Pro Football Reference data, is that teams kicked off from their own 20 yard line thirty-five times last year and not a single one of those kickoffs resulted in a touchback. The average expected points after the play (EPA) was -1.064857143. 

When kicking off from their own 35 yard line (2403 instances) in 2017 there were touchbacks over 50% of the time. Looking at the first 500 kickoffs of the season (limitation of pro football reference play finder), there were 251 touchbacks. The EPA was on average -0.595915493.

Now, I'll readily admit that I do not fully understand the EPA presented by Pro Football Reference, but that looks to me like almost a half a point difference expected when a team kicks off at their 20 versus their 35.

I didn't mine the data for percentage of extra points made because I don't really care that much but does anyone amongst us really think that moving the PAT back 15 yards is going to on average reduce the expected points of the play by almost half a point? Based on the data presented by @SemperFeist it appears there would be maybe a 0.2 point expected difference in the PAT kick.

Archived