Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

Just now, Fresh Prince said:

True but they movie was bashed before release for that exact reason 

Yes, fair. I think Star Wars got a little of that, but for the most part TFA was fine, and quelled that and then TLJ split us worse than a presidential election. 

Predator could be great with a female lead, if she is written as a human and not an infallible vagina wielding ubermensch. 

The female leads in Terminator and Alien are some of the most iconic figures in the history of film. Great actresses, great writing, great movies. 

Both female leads in Promethius and Covenant were pretty good as well, the scripts just crapped the bed in both about halfway through. I though either could have been iconic with the actresses being awarded decent accolades if the movies didnt just spiral into nonsense land halfway through. 

I hope the female lead is much like Ripley, a normal person with a non-leadership role who rises to the occasion and triumphs in the end as the people expected to get the job done are taken down around her. Obviously that may be too on-the-nose in terms of ripping from Alien 1 in a sense, but some itineration of that. And as others have said, I would love to see a middle-high tier actor be paraded as the lead only to be Deep Blue Sea'd 30-45 minutes in. (That was such a great twist, they hid it so well in all the previews, totally unexpected. Dont get that much these days)

Samara Weaving may be too famous but I really would like to see that casting. Play her off as the 3rd lead or something and make the film clearly about her about halfway through. Clearly this is my fantasyland as they are going with a Native motif by all accounts and shes white as hell. I am worried about the Native motif, because is Hollywood going to be willing to kill off a bunch of Native Americans on screen? Or will it all be telegraphed deaths of the non-tribal characters for the most part with like one Native guy dying in a moment of heroism. That would be very telegraphed. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

15 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Predator could be great with a female lead, if she is written as a human and not an infallible vagina wielding ubermensch. 

The female leads in Terminator and Alien are some of the most iconic figures in the history of film. Great actresses, great writing, great movies. 

Both female leads in Promethius and Covenant were pretty good as well, the scripts just crapped the bed in both about halfway through. I though either could have been iconic with the actresses being awarded decent accolades if the movies didnt just spiral into nonsense land halfway through. 

I hope the female lead is much like Ripley, a normal person with a non-leadership role who rises to the occasion and triumphs in the end as the people expected to get the job done are taken down around her. Obviously that may be too on-the-nose in terms of ripping from Alien 1 in a sense, but some itineration of that. And as others have said, I would love to see a middle-high tier actor be paraded as the lead only to be Deep Blue Sea'd 30-45 minutes in. (That was such a great twist, they hid it so well in all the previews, totally unexpected. Dont get that much these days)

Samara Weaving may be too famous but I really would like to see that casting. Play her off as the 3rd lead or something and make the film clearly about her about halfway through. Clearly this is my fantasyland as they are going with a Native motif by all accounts and shes white as hell. I am worried about the Native motif, because is Hollywood going to be willing to kill off a bunch of Native Americans on screen? Or will it all be telegraphed deaths of the non-tribal characters for the most part with like one Native guy dying in a moment of heroism. That would be very telegraphed. 

Nice read, but if female is going against a predator I would like to see her have some type of military training. 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Madds Mikkelsen officially replaces Johnny Depp as Grindelwald.

Upgrade. Might have to catch up on that now.

Speaking of which, @Ty21, JK Rowling has a new book out that doesn’t seem to be in the Harry Potter universe.  Have you read it?  I saw it at Walmart the other day and know nothing about it.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Upgrade. Might have to catch up on that now.

Speaking of which, @Ty21, JK Rowling has a new book out that doesn’t seem to be in the Harry Potter universe.  Have you read it?  I saw it at Walmart the other day and know nothing about it.

The Robert Galbraith one? I tried reading something non-HP by her once and couldn’t do it. Her writing style outside of HP just feels awkward. Not that she’s a bad author, but it feels off reading it in a different context. 

But no I haven’t read that one. It’s the fifth book in her crime series by Robert Galbraith. 

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

The Robert Galbraith one? I tried reading something non-HP by her once and couldn’t do it. Her writing style outside of HP just feels awkward. Not that she’s a bad author, but it feels off reading it in a different context. 

But no I haven’t read that one. It’s the fifth book in her crime series by Robert Galbraith. 

I meant The Ickabog.

I just looked into it.  Not interested.