Week 4 GDT: Time to Get Supercharged

N4L

Alright fellas, its time to look forward to the San Diego Cha... errr I mean the Los Angeles Clippers. 

As someone who lived in LA for 5 years, I can tell you there is a large number of niner fans down there. Lots of holdovers from the glory years. They play in an intimate stadium that only 27,000 fans. Id bet its 80-20 in our favor. This will literally be the only time we ever play in the Stub Hub center.

This game will be another test for our defense. This time, it will be against a savy veteran, Mr bolo tie himself. They have big, agile receivers. Keenan Allen is 6'2 211 lbs, Mike Williams is 6'3 205. Keenan is a more technical route runner while Williams is a bonafide deep threat. Under normal circumstances I would say we would have the length to defend these guys, but with sherman out and the way witherspoon has played recently, this is certainly a matchup that favors the chargers. 

We had too many missed tackles last week, Melvin Gordon has the type of speed that will make you pay if you miss a tackle on the back end. It will be important to wrap up and not give up extra yardage.

The chiefs OL did a really good job against us upfront last week. Buckner didnt have a good game, and I think it is unfair to Solomon thomas to keep playing him on the edge when its clear that he is simply not a fit there. One of the keys will be generating pressure with just 4 guys, because rivers can pick you apart if you arent getting to him and he is savy enough to get himself into the right play to beat blitzes.

With sherman out, we HAVE to be the youngest defense in the NFL right? I mean I guess Malcolm smith is 77 (seriously - google 'malcolm smith age') but other than that do we have anyone who is older than 25 as a starter? 

Obviously losing Garoppolo stinks.. but most of us on here have suffered through guys like Cody Picket, Tim Rattay, Shaun Hill, JTO... so why not add CJ to the list? lol the guy is a gamer and seems to be respected in the locker room. If kyle schemes it up right and we have a balanced attack, it wouldnt be a complete shock to average 22ish points a game. Last year we averaged 17 before Garoppolo came and 27 ppg after he got here to give perspective. 

Control the clock, win the turnover battle, limit mistakes (no dumb penalties), block and tackle well. Those are things that good teams do.  It would be nice to see this team round into form, we have been extremely sloppy this year so far. We are a super young team with a super young coach, time to whip into shape.

Rather than looking forward to the draft, I'm going to sit back and enjoy 13 more 49ers games while I still can. Its week 4, still lots of football left(with 4 primetime games still upcoming!) 

49ers are +10.5 - Over/Under is 47

Agree that the Chargers are going to win. For those saying that Jimmy was not living up to anything before the injury just look at the last two games Against the Chiefs he had 66.7% cmp and a 114.7 rating. For the Lion he had 69.2% cmp and 118.4 rating. I think he was just going to start getting hot with the weeks to come. 

The naysayers will see how valuable he is now. 

29 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

For those saying that Jimmy was not living up to anything before the injury just look at the last two games Against the Chiefs he had 66.7% cmp and a 114.7 rating. For the Lion he had 69.2% cmp and 118.4 rating. I think he was just going to start getting hot with the weeks to come. 

People just expected for him to hit the ground running after last year, not understanding that just because he started off a little slow doesn't mean he was playing horrible. Jimmy ranks fourth with a 13.5-yards-per-completion average, trailing Ryan Fitzpatrick (15.8), Pat Mahomes (14.5) and Deshaun Watson (13.8). His average of 8.1 yards per attempt ranks 11th. His receivers averaged 6.94 yards after the catch, second-best in the league behind the Pittsburgh Steelers (7.5 yac).

1 hour ago, 49ers2015 said:

Agree that the Chargers are going to win. For those saying that Jimmy was not living up to anything before the injury just look at the last two games Against the Chiefs he had 66.7% cmp and a 114.7 rating. For the Lion he had 69.2% cmp and 118.4 rating. I think he was just going to start getting hot with the weeks to come. 

Hey, we're only saying he got our expectations up with the AMAZING performances he had last December. Sure, stats say he did well (better than what we have had), but I was looking for the same quick release and decisiveness I saw then....he seems to have slowed down a bit. 

I am fully aware of our predicament. In fact, I have said multiple times that because of Jimmy's injury, we are now reduced to 'playing for the draft'. Which I have had enough of, personally. :(

25 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hey, we're only saying he got our expectations up with the AMAZING performances he had last December. Sure, stats say he did well (better than what we have had), but I was looking for the same quick release and decisiveness I saw then....he seems to have slowed down a bit. 

I am fully aware of our predicament. In fact, I have said multiple times that because of Jimmy's injury, we are now reduced to 'playing for the draft'. Which I have had enough of, personally. :(

Agree 100% It's like when the 49ers gain traction so do the Seahawks (years ago) and now the Rams. The injuries I've had enough of as well since Crabtree back in 2013 or whatever..lol

Silly question but what does 2019 mean for Jimmy G now? I mean logically I'm assuming he's still the focus?

12 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Agree 100% It's like when the 49ers gain traction so do the Seahawks (years ago) and now the Rams. The injuries I've had enough of as well since Crabtree back in 2013 or whatever..lol

Silly question but what does 2019 mean for Jimmy G now? I mean logically I'm assuming he's still the focus?

What do you mean by asking if he's still the focus?

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

People just expected for him to hit the ground running after last year, not understanding that just because he started off a little slow doesn't mean he was playing horrible. Jimmy ranks fourth with a 13.5-yards-per-completion average, trailing Ryan Fitzpatrick (15.8), Pat Mahomes (14.5) and Deshaun Watson (13.8). His average of 8.1 yards per attempt ranks 11th. His receivers averaged 6.94 yards after the catch, second-best in the league behind the Pittsburgh Steelers (7.5 yac).

Yep, people tend to forget he only had seven starts heading into this season. Now, there were some mental mistakes he was making that he shouldn't have and was a bit off with his accuracy, but little doubt for me that he was going to start picking it up. We actually saw that in the Chiefs game. Aside from his miss to Garcon in the 2nd half, he was money after the first quarter and started making the type of plays he made last year. 

I think what people underestimated was how opposing defenses were going to adjust to our system, more so than Jimmy G. They realized our WRs couldn't beat press coverage so they started to get real physical at the LOS. Taylor through three games has been a complete non-factor but there is a reason for that. Garcon hasn't got going yet, but a few misses by Jimmy G and a few drops by him have hurt him. Can't really judge Goodwin but he was going to be the one guy opposing defenses respected and were going to give help his way. 

The offense is really close to being one of the best in the league. I feel like our OL has played very well the last two weeks but he just need one more weapon on the outside. Kittle is going to be a big time TE for years to come, Goodwin is a very good #2, Pettis looks like he can do some things in this league but need a bigger body physical press coverage beating WR to take this offense to the top. I feel like Allen Robinson would have really helped, but understandable they didn't want to pay him all that money. Oh yeah, McKinnon returning should help as well. 

As for this game, I think it will be fairly competitive for a while until the Chargers take over late in the game. 

LAC 27 SF 20 

Archived