2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

15 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Which means JPP trade is likely off the table if it even made it to the table but that’s fine, plenty to choose from vet wise through FA. 

I think I also read the Bucs spent about half of their available cap space in resigning Smith too so one would think that would greatly hinder their ability in resigning Kwon, especially with help still badly needed in that secondary, specifically at safety where there are definitely targets and talents to be had. I could see the Bucs drafting White and lining him up next to David at the two ILB roles in their new 3-4 scheme

Ill admit, this trade down talk is seeming more and more attractive to me. Granted if Bosa is there let’s not over think this but if he’s not and we have teams lobbying for position to get their QB let’s capitalize even with Josh Allen on the board (and I love me some Josh Allen). I don’t put too much weight on the combine and the Uneradmour Olympics test scores but it does reaffirm or confirm some ideas I had about some prospects like Burns and Sweat. Even Ferrell looked good in drills from what I understand so a move down to say 4, 6, 7, 10, 13, or even 15 certainly seems more allowable now. 13 and 15 is getting a little too low for my liking but any of those other spots could net us one of Sweat, Burns or Ferrell and some more day 2 picks which would go a long way in addressing needs and filling the talent cupboard.

If Bosa is there at 2, I agree, pull the trigger and don't look back. But if Bosa is taken at 1 and teams are looking to move up and take Murray or Haskins, then things get interesting. Moving down to 4 should assure us everything minus Quinnin Williams, moving down to 6 or 7 should still give us the ability to take Allen. Anything lower than that will be a gamble and will most likely have us choosing between Ferrell, Sweat, Burns, and Gary.

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If Bosa is there at 2, I agree, pull the trigger and don't look back. But if Bosa is taken at 1 and teams are looking to move up and take Murray or Haskins, then things get interesting. Moving down to 4 should assure us everything minus Quinnin Williams, moving down to 6 or 7 should still give us the ability to take Allen. Anything lower than that will be a gamble and will most likely have us choosing between Ferrell, Sweat, Burns, and Gary.

Gary scares me, id rather not with him.

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I feel like if it's not Bosa, the next man up may be Sweat on our board

8 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Give me ET, Kwon (rumors of the Bucs being enamoured with White) and an edge rusher or two from the group of Smith, Smith, Houston, JPP, Vernon, Barrett, Griffen. Everything else I think can be addressed in the draft in regards to another edge, IOL, WR and depth at certain spots.

The one thing to remember about Alexander is that he's a pretty horrific tackler. I'm pretty sure he's one of the worst in the league. I like Alexander, but for me, he's more of a fall back option if we brick out on higher / better alternatives, I think. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The one thing to remember about Alexander is that he's a pretty horrific tackler. I'm pretty sure he's one of the worst in the league. I like Alexander, but for me, he's more of a fall back option if we brick out on higher / better alternatives, I think. 

Isn't he similar to Fred Warner anyways?

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Isn't he similar to Fred Warner anyways?

I wouldn't say that. I mean, a lot of linebackers are similar with regards to H/W type stuff in the "modern NFL". People like their undersized, athletic linebackers. The sample size on Warner is limited, obviously, but Alexander has also shown a propensity to create big plays (12 FF/INT in 46 games is a really nice clip, especially when you don't peg Warner as being that type of guy). The skill set for MIKE and Will really isn't all that different. If you play one, you should probably be able to play the other to some extent. 

I probably misspoke with regards to where I would put him. It's probably a little unfair to say I would prefer him as a "fall back" option. I think I'd prefer him over someone like Jordan Hicks, and a few others. I suppose it depends on the price point. But I do have some concerns about Kwon with regards to the tackling, especially when that was such a major issue for the team as a whole last year (though admittedly it did get better as the season progressed)

If Josh Norman were to get cut, should the 49ers pursue? The Redskins are middle of the pack in cap space this year. Norman has the third highest cap hit of $14,500,000. He has two years left on his original 5 year deal he signed in 2016. He's going to be 32 this year. I haven't heard anything about him getting released, and I don't think it will happen to save some money, but maybe there is an outside chance. He was PFF's 50th ranked corner this past year. 

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

If Josh Norman were to get cut, should the 49ers pursue? The Redskins are middle of the pack in cap space this year. Norman has the third highest cap hit of $14,500,000. He has two years left on his original 5 year deal he signed in 2016. He's going to be 32 this year. I haven't heard anything about him getting released, and I don't think it will happen to save some money, but maybe there is an outside chance. He was PFF's 50th ranked corner this past year. 

He fits the scheme, but is also old and coming off a horrible year. I'm on board with a prove it one year deal, but he doesn't make me comfortable or anything. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I was aware he had some tackling issues or atleast wrapping up and finishing the tackle problems but I think those things can be taught. Why he hasn’t learned yet? Not sure but maybe breaking down and playing a little more in control will not only produce a better all around player but also les injuries. Mosley would be my number 1 option at LB, then it’s a cluster of Kwon, Hicks, Perryman, KJ, Barr at 2 followed by guys like Zach Brown and Brandon Marshall at 3. If we get into tier 3 I’m going to be pretty disappointed unless tier 1 and 2 guys signed for ridiculous money. I understand the SAM role is rather limited but having two solid LBs as MIKE and WILL would make this defense so much better as they don’t leave the field nearly as often and while Warner showed above average as a rookie it’s yet to be seen if he can become the stud LB we all want him to be. I want us to take advantage of his rookie contract while we can and put someone expensive and proven next to him I’ll he develops into what we think he can become. Then let said expensive player walk and sign Warner to what he’s deserved.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He fits the scheme, but is also old and coming off a horrible year. I'm on board with a prove it one year deal, but he doesn't make me comfortable or anything. 

Horrible year? I don't recall that. From the games I watched of him, he looked solid. I remember him covering Julio for much of the game and didn't look bad at all. Julio got a late TD, but if I recall, it was a WR screen? Norman could still play a few more years at a good level. But we already have one veteran corner, think they go younger even if it is just for competition. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Horrible year? I don't recall that. From the games I watched of him, he looked solid. I remember him covering Julio for much of the game and didn't look bad at all. Julio got a late TD, but if I recall, it was a WR screen? Norman could still play a few more years at a good level. But we already have one veteran corner, think they go younger even if it is just for competition. 

I'm pretty sure he was benched a couple of times. I could be remembering wrong, but I Think that was the case. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure he was benched a couple of times. I could be remembering wrong, but I Think that was the case. 

I know he didn't play in the 2nd half of the Saints game but that could have been because of effort or not playing his coverage right on certain plays. But end of the year is when I remember watching quite a bit of Redskins games and he looked fine to me. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know he didn't play in the 2nd half of the Saints game but that could have been because of effort or not playing his coverage right on certain plays. But end of the year is when I remember watching quite a bit of Redskins games and he looked fine to me. 

Maybe that is what I'm thinking of. But I remember a lot of chatter last year. LIS, one year prove it deal I'm good with. 

Jason Verrett is probably the best corner slated to hit the market. Assuming Norman isn't cut. You folks have already talked about him. He's always hurt, but he shouldn't command a hefty price tag. 49ers are so desperate for help in the secondary, I wouldn't mind them rolling the dice. At least with a short term deal. We aren't getting Greedy Williams unless we trade down, and depending on later round rookies again to make a big impact in the secondary makes me demoralized as a fan. 

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Jason Verrett is probably the best corner slated to hit the market. Assuming Norman isn't cut. You folks have already talked about him. He's always hurt, but he shouldn't command a hefty price tag. 49ers are so desperate for help in the secondary, I wouldn't mind them rolling the dice. At least with a short term deal. We aren't getting Greedy Williams unless we trade down, and depending on later round rookies again to make a big impact in the secondary makes me demoralized as a fan. 

What if A.J. Bouye is cut from the Jags? I feel like he'd be a person of interest for our scheme.

Archived