2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

A really smart guy I know said 4 year 60M with 24M guaranteed. But do the 35M if it gets it done.

I think you have to do more than half guaranteed for sure.  The highest safety contact with less than half fully guaranteed is Eric Reid. 35-40 has to be guaranteed. Berry had 40 of his 78 guaranteed. Jones 33 of 48. Smith 28 of 51. Etc etc

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Trading for a pass rusher just doesn't seem like the best decision with our assets. With so many pass rushers available in the draft and through FA, why would we trade away picks to acquire one? Is Vernon really a bigger get than anything thing else we can get without trading picks away? I'm all for double-dipping in the draft or a draft one/sign one combo. 

Edit: I quoted the wrong post, whoops..

I really don't see us trading for an edge rusher either. I think there is too much available on the free agent market to make it worthwhile, not to mention the draft class. But if you're going to trade for one, the one to trade for is JPP for sure. 

3 hours ago, Justone2 said:

I don't think Tartt has the ability to play FS in this scheme. If we would still be running the Vic Fangio type of defense i would put him there no problem but in this scheme he has already shown he doesn't have the range to play FS. Colbert was awfull last year and make a lot of mental mistakes but physically he has all the tools to play FS for us. I hope he has grown on the mental side and give a shot before moving Tartt to FS. If we had a game tomorrow and everyone was healthy i could see going for Tartt-Harris but going into training camp i think i would give Colbert first shot at it.

I disagree. He's not the ball-hawking type but that doesn't mean he can't be assignment sound and technically good. He has plenty of speed and athleticism to track the ball, sideline to sideline. The one-handed int he got against the Panthers in 2017 shows that he can be dynamic. One of the reason he got he got his extentsion is because he looked so improved in coverage in 2017 before he got hurt.

He covers alot of ground  with his speed and he's a better open field tackler than any of our safeties at this point. And he played some FS when Reid got hurt in 2017 and he did fine. Is he your first choice as a FS? Probably not. But his read and recognition is probably tbe best if the current group we have. By all means, we need to find a starter@FS in free agency and a young guy to groom in the draft(Juan Thornhill ftw). The position is a definite priority. But if you asked me who I'd feel comfortable with of all the guys on the current roster manning the position and not mucking it up, he's really the only one. 

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I disagree. He's not the ball-hawking type but that doesn't mean he can't be assignment sound and technically good. He has plenty of speed and athleticism to track the ball, sideline to sideline. The one-handed int he got against the Panthers in 2017 shows that he can be dynamic. One of the reason he got he got his extentsion is because he looked so improved in coverage in 2017 before he got hurt.

He covers alot of ground  with his speed and he's a better open field tackler than any of our safeties at this point. And he played some FS when Reid got hurt in 2017 and he did fine. Is he your first choice as a FS? Probably not. But his read and recognition is probably tbe best if the current group we have. By all means, we need to find a starter@FS in free agency and a young guy to groom in the draft(Juan Thornhill ftw). The position is a definite priority. But if you asked me who I'd feel comfortable with of all the guys on the current roster manning the position and not mucking it up, he's really the only one. 

To me its more about the future and Tartt isn't a guy i see there for more than a few games because he misses the range to play that role he doesn't have the speed and range in my eyes and really ball skills to me is really a bonus and not a core strength i want there. Tartt is a great SS and a average FS so i want him to play a SS and not at FS so for me at this point going in training camp if we don't add any FS i would start with Colbert or Exum at FS and let Tartt and Harris battle at SS. But like i said if we play a game tomorrow and i have to choose a line-up of he guys we have i would probably go with Tartt and Harris as our safety duo.

And i totally agree we need to add a FS but i don't think i would double dip at the position because i still want to give Colbert a chance to show if he is the player we saw in year one or if he is the guy we saw last year.

21 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

And i totally agree we need to add a FS but i don't think i would double dip at the position because i still want to give Colbert a chance to show if he is the player we saw in year one or if he is the guy we saw last year.

Agree with this, I see no reason to double dip at FS. There's no 1 or 2 year rental out there that would necessitate this. Meaning, a free agent we bring in is likely for 3-5 years, so that free agent or the draft pick would primarily be a backup/Special Teams player. Colbert is fine in that role. We can look for the future FS if we sign a vet in a few years.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Assuming they both are looking at 17 mill/year, who would you guys prefer more? Ford or Flowers?

If I had to pick one of those two, it would be Flowers. His body of work has been more well-rounded and consistent compared to Ford. 

1 minute ago, sherm said:

Give me Landon Collins over Earl Thomas.

Only if we plan on moving him to linebacker 

He's the best in box S in the NFL imo but that's an increasingly easy role to fill whereas rangy center fielder's are harder to find.

MM insinuated that Collins being available will help some other free agent (that we do have interest in) become a more likely signing 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Only if we plan on moving him to linebacker 

He's the best in box S in the NFL imo but that's an increasingly easy role to fill whereas rangy center fielder's are harder to find.

MM insinuated that Collins being available will help some other free agent (that we do have interest in) become a more likely signing 

Naw I'd sign him and keep him at S. 

Archived